Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:23 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCan View Post
For me: HEIGHTS, small spaces, Orca whales, driving (I am in the process of dealing with this phobia as I have gotten my learner's license again and will be taking driving lessons soon).
I understand driving, but orcas are so cute though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 08:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
I'm claustrophobic. Caves would be out of the question for me. I don't even like to watch National Geographic type shows about caves, they make me uncomfortable.

Sometimes, the sight of a parked airplane will make me uncomfortable as well. Something about a long narrow tube...
But I can fly on one, and I can be packed in like a sardine, and it doesn't trigger the claustrophobia, not sure why.

When I drive, I always have my window down some. I need to feel the air on me. If I'm on a long road trip with someone, I'll often ask if I can crack the window after awhile.

As my husband and I get closer to retirement, he's always talking about downsizing, and shows like Tiny House Nation fascinate him. He thinks it'd be awesome to put a tiny house on a trailer and go wherever we want to go. Me? I'm afraid if that happened, it'd be the beginning of the end of our marriage. Either divorce, or I will kill. My anxiety goes up just thinking about it.

We've had a couple of arguments about it. I'll often come back with "Let's live in a tree house. The view would be amazing, we'd always have shade...and he always gets a look of distaste on his face. He's afraid of heights. And I always say "Yep. That's how I feel about tiny spaces."

Anything that makes me feel closed in. When we were packing to leave our apartment, and into a house, as the packing boxes piled up around us, so did my anxiety.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:06 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,165 times
Water-scared I am going to drown in a flood
Spiders, especially the jumping ones
A bunch of wholes clustered together, for example a bee's nest. Stuff like that gives me the creeps.
Black birds and owls-creepy AF. I came out of the store and a huge black bird was sitting on top of my sunroof. It would not move when I tried shooing it away. People were giving me strange looks in the parking lot. LOL It finally flew off when I started driving.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:50 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Water-scared I am going to drown in a flood
Spiders, especially the jumping ones
A bunch of wholes clustered together, for example a bee's nest. Stuff like that gives me the creeps.
Black birds and owls-creepy AF. I came out of the store and a huge black bird was sitting on top of my sunroof. It would not move when I tried shooing it away. People were giving me strange looks in the parking lot. LOL It finally flew off when I started driving.

You'd lose your mind where I work.

We have these big windows, so for one, birds often fly into them. 2. There's a dogwood tree right by one of the windows. In the fall, the trees get berries, and the birds swarm and go crazy for the berries, so then there's LOTS of bumping into the windows.

3. Our building is beside a small lake, so we ALWAYS have geese, and sometimes other water fowl. The geese walk all over the place, and when they're in mating season, or parenting season, they get pretty aggressive. Sometimes, they'll peck at their own reflections in the glass of our big windows and doors.

Every once in awhile, we'll get a hawk or an owl they stakes out in one of the trees in the parking lot, looking for mice or whatever...so there's that.

4. We also have mourning doves. (I giggle when I write this part) in the spring, they will constantly try to build nests in the windshield wells of particular cars. It's not everyone's cars...they seem to have their favorites. Like...one lady drives a brand new black Soranto. The birds would build a nest in the windshield well every day, for about a month, and every day the lady had to tear the nest out.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:07 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Yellowjackets- I will leave an area to avoid one. This one is personal and experience based. They like to mess with me, they're like my nemeses. Always comin' up close to buzz my tower and whatnot. Like just sting me or eff off already, you jerks! Ugh. Hate them. Menacing.

Swarming flies- give me an anxiety.

Needles, or anything scary near my eyes (the notion of a needle anywhere near my eye...*shudder*) - This...it actually brings out a "fight" response. I have an urge to pick up a chair and defend myself. It helps if I don't look, if I have blood drawn or something.

Heights- a weird one. It's not so much heights as a fear of falling. If I'm standing on a structure or riding an amusement park ride or something and I feel pretty secure and safe, I don't have a problem. But if I'm climbing on something, even if it's not that high up, but I feel like I could fall...my body locks up and freezes. Even ladders. It's...kind of like fear...but I feel like it's not as much mental as physical in a way. My brain feels calm, tells my body to move, that we're just fine here, and my body tells my brain to heck off and clings for dear life.

Looking foolish or disappointing people- OK this one is legit a fear/anxiety/phobia. For instance, if I am asked to do something I'm not good at, in front of watching others...nope, nope, nope. Not only do I want to avoid it, I want to run away and hide. Like dancing or singing. I know the childhood incidents that led to this. But still. Even if it's not a big audience, just a person or two. Nope.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:50 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,904 times
I am extremely claustrophobic, and had to get an MRI last year. I was really nervous and the technician said not to move, but I was shaking really bad. Worst feeling ever!!!

Old 11-09-2017, 02:30 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
A lot of them have been mentioned before.
Claustrophobia
Heights
Being surrounded by water with no land in sight

Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
Dealing with the TSA to go on a vacation.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:11 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Rats. Not the cute spotted pet ones...but the feral plague ones.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:15 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
MRI tubes. Tried it once, lasted about 5 seconds. I had nightmares for several months. I'm normally not claustrophobic, or didn't think I was, but that did me in.

Tipping over, as in being in a car and tipping into a deep ditch. I once had a boyfriend who would deliberately swerve toward ditches just to **** me off.
Hopefully you dumped that assclown very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology