Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:49 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times

Advertisements

Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not saying all HOAs are good, but there is an underlying decent purpose to them. I live in northeast TN. In the country, there are plenty of houses with multiple broken down cars on the property, appliances on porches, etc. HOAs can set a minimum standard of quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Or they can live in a neighborhood like our new one, that doesn't have an HOA but that does have a neighbor with a junkyard for a front lawn, including a 25 foot boat hull. That affects everyone's property values in the neighborhood.

I am sure though if we did have a HOA that made him clean it up, he would write an article similar to this one, and feel quite put upon by being told what to do on his property.
The town has laws that pertain to this sort of thing. You have to check out the town first before buying.

Some towns won't allow a small popup camper to be parked in the driveway for more than 24 hours. Some towns down't allow cars to be parked on the street. Last town I lived in allowed boats in the driveways! This was right next to the beach and lots of people had summer cottages, so it was a laid back type of place and no one cared. It all depends upon the municipality.

We don't need HOAs around here because if anyone pulled a stunt like having a junk yard for a front lawn, the town would take care of them.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:02 PM

35,265 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It really was a biased and overwrought manifesto under the guise of a scholarly article.
Kind of over the top, no?
Google him some more. One of the reasons I posted this in Psychology was that “professor’s” and his acolytes’ need for professional help.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:04 PM

35,265 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

We don't need HOAs around here because if anyone pulled a stunt like having a junk yard for a front lawn, the town would take care of them.
This is a subject for a new thread but municipal code enforcement is no bargain.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:14 PM

50,996 posts, read 36,683,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The town has laws that pertain to this sort of thing. You have to check out the town first before buying.

Some towns won't allow a small popup camper to be parked in the driveway for more than 24 hours. Some towns down't allow cars to be parked on the street. Last town I lived in allowed boats in the driveways! This was right next to the beach and lots of people had summer cottages, so it was a laid back type of place and no one cared. It all depends upon the municipality.

We had seen the house before buying, this guy is on our block do we saw it before we bought. It is on water but the boat looks like it hasn’t been seaworthy in a decade or more. The whole yard is junked up but it had everything else we were looking for in our price range, which was not a whole lot considering I had my heart set on being on water. There were not many choices and this one needed by far the least amount of rehab to make it livable. (Was a foreclosure) We won’t be too concerned about it unless we ever sell.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:09 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,836,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Woof, Woof, Bark, Bark, Woof, Woof, Bark, Bark, Bark, Howl, Howl, Bark, Bark, Bark.....

Try living with that for a few nights and then come back and tell us how you are sleeping.
I live with; pow pow pow, bang bang bang, ratatat ratatat bang bang, pop pop pop, yelling obsceneties, police lights, and sleep just fine. It's called drown it out.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:42 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,836,104 times
Heard too many bad things about HOAs. Screw'em.
Attached Thumbnails
HOA Syndrome - Real or Fantasy-hoanazis.jpg  

Old 04-12-2018, 05:30 AM

450 posts, read 599,684 times
Quick horror story. Bought a house. Hoa fees sixty bucks a month. Fine! One year later Hoa fees jump to four hundred bucks a year. Two neighbors refused to pay. Half year later leins put on those houses. Hoa won. One neighbor caved one had his place taken away. Nuff said.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:12 AM

50,996 posts, read 36,683,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worren View Post
Quick horror story. Bought a house. Hoa fees sixty bucks a month. Fine! One year later Hoa fees jump to four hundred bucks a year. Two neighbors refused to pay. Half year later leins put on those houses. Hoa won. One neighbor caved one had his place taken away. Nuff said.
$400 a year is $320 less than $60 a month.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:31 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,923,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worren View Post
Is this correct? Actually sounds like the craziness some HOAs friends complain about. Fees were nearly cut in half if they paid annually instead of monthly. I thought maybe the story would end with the board "relented" and reduced fees from $400 a year to just $70 a month and everyone was happy and paid up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology