Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 07:01 AM

24 posts, read 10,211 times

Advertisements

I thought about it after I overheard a manager at work talking about filipina mail order brides - and from then, I wonder how pervasive it is, I wonder if that's the stereotype many people believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
he said in his earlier post: from the lens of a depressed person..

the poster has a mental issue i submit or envy? might just be the opposite so that she/he feels good about him/herself?
Envy? The opposite ? Feel good about self?

May I please know how you arrive to such conclusion?

Old 09-07-2018, 12:22 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavs View Post
Envy? The opposite ? Feel good about self?

May I please know how you arrive to such conclusion?
Didn't you say are depressed? if you are depressed, you feel bad about yourself and just to feel good, you try to put down another person

so what you are saying is maybe the opposite, your uncle and his spouse are actually happy and you envy his spouse for being what she is, for what she actually achieved, despite her accent, and became a successful accountant?

why are you depressed by the way?

Old 09-07-2018, 02:15 PM

No, I don't think it's about that.

She have a good job, but it isn't that nice. It's middle class.

At work, a manager mentioned Filipina women are mail order bride, and so that made me wonder if that's how American men sees Filipina women, nothing but a mail order bride. Basically, it makes me wonder if racism is truly this pervasive

That's why it reminded of a visit at my relative where she doesn't get along with her American husband, and I heard my relatives talk about their marital problems.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
No, I don't think it's about that.

She have a good job, but it isn't that nice. It's middle class.

At work, a manager mentioned Filipina women are mail order bride, and so that made me wonder if that's how American men sees Filipina women, nothing but a mail order bride. Basically, it makes me wonder if racism is truly this pervasive

That's why it reminded of a visit at my relative where she doesn't get along with her American husband, and I heard my relatives talk about their marital problems.
if you are really concerned why didnt you correct the manager?

are you the one related to the woman? why dont you advise her to divorce her if you are really concerned with how he treats her?

Old 09-08-2018, 11:56 AM

I did correct the manager, and he became more aggressive towards me, and HR is on his side.

Yes, I am related to her, but I only saw a glimpse of her life.

That's why I mentioned in my earlier posts that I felt guilty that I connected the "mail order bride" comment to what I observed that day when I visited her - to a general statement that Filipina immigrant women are seen as second class.

The issue isn't really about these details - but that these thoughts, when vocalized can lead to estrangement from family members who don't want to hear this opinion.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I did correct the manager, and he became more aggressive towards me, and HR is on his side.

Yes, I am related to her, but I only saw a glimpse of her life.

That's why I mentioned in my earlier posts that I felt guilty that I connected the "mail order bride" comment to what I observed that day when I visited her - to a general statement that Filipina immigrant women are seen as second class.

The issue isn't really about these details - but that these thoughts, when vocalized can lead to estrangement from family members who don't want to hear this opinion.
take your pill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology