Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 07:42 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As a straight man, I can tell you that most straight men, myself included, prefer women not wearing makeup at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm attracted to straight women, not butch women, but I like women to be low maintenance, not fuss with makeup or curling their hair or doing their nails or plastic surgery. I don't want my future wife to waste time and money on her appearance.

Like I said, I don't like butch women either. But couldn't long hair, and maybe a modest skirt or dress sometimes be enough femininity?

Makeup must just be big business and their marketing. Or maybe women wear makeup to get attention from other women.
I haven’t read the whole thread. We’re probably the odd guys but I’m sort of in the same boat as you. I prefer women (all people really) to be just as they are. I don’t like tattoos, body piercings/modifications, unnecessary cosmetic surgery, unnatural hair styles, perfumes/colognes, etc. I’m not even sure why, just my thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
So just say ‘no’ to the root canal and caps then? Men like the natural snaggle tooth look? I mean genetics and all, I may have earned it but I don’t how ‘natural’ to go now, if I’m supposed to feel fake instead of better about myself... hmm, where to draw the line

Rhetorical, of course.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:38 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
My boyfriend said that he found it appealing that the first several times he saw me I was not wearing makeup, and I don't really make a habit of doing so. He said that he interpreted it to mean that I am not "high maintenance." What it really means (to me) is that I am "LAZY AS HELL." Truth, I won't even lie, we all have the same amount of time in a day, and the only thing that differs is how each of us CHOOSES to use it. I don't choose to use mine doing much with my hair and makeup. I do a lot of hair and skin care to try and keep myself moisturized and clean and healthy but the very thought of spending time styling and putting on makeup...yeah, no thanks.

The other thing is, I have to admit that I'm not very good at it, I feel that the less effort I put in, the better I look, and I actually do admire and (slightly) envy ladies (and to be fair, gentlemen, as drag queens for instance are often very talented with makeup artistry) who are skilled at such things. I just never have been. So part of the time investment for me, would be learning and practicing how to get these things right...I feel tired just thinking about it. So I don't.

But when I think of his comment about "maintenance"... In a way it reminds me of how I view people who are really into fitness. I'm blessed with a decent metabolism and I don't have to put energy and time into working out or dieting, to continue looking the way I look...I RESPECT any person's choice to be very into fitness, but I don't think I'd be compatible with a man who was, who spent time every day at the gym, who was very conscious of healthy eating and all that... You get this feeling that the lives you live are just too different, your priorities not aligned.

So in that same sense, I can accept his comment about "maintenance." Even though, he does lots of stuff for me, it's not like he was saying he wanted to put zero energy or effort into a relationship, and it's not as though makeup habits are a matter of "maintenance" that a partner actually has to perform anyhow. At the end of the day, I like me, and I like him, he likes himself, and he likes me...and that is all that matters.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:42 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Veeeery funny. I wish I could say it was an experiment. On the bright side, I did see something the other day that made me smile. "My balls are bigger than yours. God just put them on my chest so they wouldn't chafe."

Chesticles.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-14-2019, 09:46 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
The idea about being high maintenance...it bugs me.

I imagine most of us have varying degrees of 'maintenance'. In OP's title, he's lumping haircuts with plastic surgery for pete's sake. There is a very broad range of maintenance, and I suspect most men appreciate that we bathe, brush our teeth, and put on deoderant. That's maintenance too y'all.

And...you know...it's not like I'm asking the guy to support MY maintenance. I go out and buy my own make up, pay for my own haircuts, shampoo, conditioner, etc.

Now...if some guy tells me he likes the natural look...that's fine. Like what you like. I will not NECESSARILY take the comment as a judgement of ME. The guy is allowed his preferences, and I'm allowed mine. But...MAINTENANCE? Dude. You're not maintaining me. I'm maintaining myself.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:56 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Now...if some guy tells me he likes the natural look...that's fine. Like what you like. I will not NECESSARILY take the comment as a judgement of ME. The guy is allowed his preferences, and I'm allowed mine. But...MAINTENANCE? Dude. You're not maintaining me. I'm maintaining myself.
I laugh thinking about what some of these guys would think about an actual "natural" look. If women stopped buffing and plucking and coloring and actually showed up as nature made us (while still taking care of all the necessary hygiene) they'd be terrified.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:05 AM

880 posts, read 532,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I laugh thinking about what some of these guys would think about an actual "natural" look. If women stopped buffing and plucking and coloring and actually showed up as nature made us (while still taking care of all the necessary hygiene) they'd be terrified.
Pretty sure my "natural" jack nicholson eyebrows and mustache would be a scary thing to wake up to.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:11 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
Pretty sure my "natural" jack nicholson eyebrows and mustache would be a scary thing to wake up to.

Yeah...I'd have a unibrow if I didn't do some plucking. lol

Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Right, but I feel like we've got different thoughts about what "maintenance" could mean.

I think that every woman has had an experience where for some reason she decides she does not want to wear those exact shoes that she was going to wear. Instead, she wants to wear those boots or something. Then realizes the boots don't fit or look right with those pants or that skirt. But if she changes that, then the top must also change. Oh, and this other shirt she now wants to wear? Necessitates a different bra, too. Hair up? Hair down? Can't carry that purse with that outfit? Before you know it, you've changed literally everything. I dated a woman who would do something like this 3-5 times, while fluttering around the house asking us all how this or that looked and filling the room with anxiety for hours before we could go anywhere. I loved her but my freakin' god though. We were late to everything always.

So when it comes to women putting effort into appearance, if I think "high maintenance" I think this. Along with a sort of persistent anxiety about how she looks. Even if she is generally a gorgeous human being.

Contrast to someone who lives a lifestyle of "low maintenance"...it's not a matter of needing or not needing makeup. It's a matter of feeling pretty much ok in my own skin. Sometimes I might feel like dressing things up a little, but it won't take me hours to put together a look. And if I get there and decide "ugh, my hair is so frizzy today" or "man this lipstick was a bad idea, I'm just gonna wipe it off in the ladies' room" then I won't feel ugly for the rest of the night.

The only reason this matters to other people is the biofeedback element. When someone is experiencing anxiety and discomfort, regardless of why, it's pretty natural for that feeling to mirror in others. When it's your significant other you might be even more tuned in to how they're feeling. I think it's probably nice if something that could be a stress factor...just isn't.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As a straight man, I can tell you that most straight men, myself included, prefer women not wearing makeup at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm attracted to straight women, not butch women, but I like women to be low maintenance, not fuss with makeup or curling their hair or doing their nails or plastic surgery. I don't want my future wife to waste time and money on her appearance.

Like I said, I don't like butch women either. But couldn't long hair, and maybe a modest skirt or dress sometimes be enough femininity?

Makeup must just be big business and their marketing. Or maybe women wear makeup to get attention from other women.
Hang it up. You will never convince women that they look like somebody hit them in the face with a can of paint. Fortunately, fashions change. Nowadays, women are actually allowed to have eyebrows, which was not acceptable when I was a kid. I remember women walking around looking like something out of Creature Feature, and proud of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology