Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:26 PM

5,489 posts, read 3,929,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
People looking at the phone while walking are a completely different breed called MMM
- short for Mobile Marching Morons.
The "phone walk" is the next stage in human evolution - they are developing text claw, iPosture and exaggerated, slow, wobbly walk while posting every darn step they take on the FB.
They look like and act like zombies...
iPosture...funny stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 07:46 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.
I think it's a psychological issue, since you asked.

Quote:
Just lounging there on the escalator, particularly blocking others from walking up or down.

To me, the point of an escalator is to make it easier to get up or down. I don't see the point in just standing there--why not walk up or down (unless you're old/infirm/have balance issues/are carrying something really heavy)? You'd have to walk up or down on stairs, and an escalator just speeds that up and makes it less burdensome.

Of course, if someone looks as though s/he may have mobility issues, I don't look down on the person.

But if someone is a healthy-looking adult and can walk, just walking at 1 mile per hour, particularly while looking at a phone and weaving around- that irks me. Move it!
How do you know what a stranger's abilities are just by looking at them? And why do you care about how someone else conducts his/herself if it doesn't affect you?

This sounds judgmental and rude, to be honest.

For me it's ONLY an issue if I'm in a hurry and they are not following the rule (slow traffic to the right) OR they're taking up the whole sidewalk because of mindless weaving or walking two abreast.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:55 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
iPosture...funny stuff
Funny... till it's serious

Spoiler

Text claw:
Spoiler

Last edited by elnina; 02-03-2019 at 08:12 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 08:33 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
What choo think about people leaning on their grocery carts, in the middle of the aisle, and moving slower than a sloth?

So many times the urge to ram their asses arose, but I've been good ... so far.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:43 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.

Old people who block aisles and display cases in stores and have no awareness of it, are the worst of all. And then you realize they're going to be driving home on public streets!! If they can't navigate a grocery cart, how can they drive? To deal with that, there's a concept of integrated housing/schools/recreational facilities/retail shops/medical & dental clinics/workplaces/entertainment venues, in planned developments small enough, so everyone can meet most of their daily needs by walking, riding small electric carts(provided by the community) or being wheeled in chairs by care-providers. Most personally-owned vehicles would be eliminated and air pollution greatly reduced. If people were raised not having motor vehicles of their own, they wouldn't miss them.

The large number of care-providers for older or infirm people would not only make life better for them, but would help solve the problem of major unemployment, caused by automated systems in factories and businesses of all sorts. Everyone would spend their lives at a gentler pace and slowpokes would hardly be noticed. Note how my attitude came full-circle, just within that one post.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 02-03-2019 at 08:52 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 08:48 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Old people who block aisles and display cases in stores and have no awareness of it, are the worst of all. And then you realize they're going to be driving home on public streets!! If they can't navigate a grocery cart, how can they drive? To deal with that, there's a concept of integrated housing/schools/recreational facilities/retail shops/medical & dental clinics/workplaces/entertainment venues, in planned developments small enough, so everyone can meet most of their daily needs by walking, riding small electric carts(provided by the community) or being wheeled in chairs by care-providers. Most personally-owned vehicles would be eliminated and air pollution greatly reduced. If people were raised not having motor vehicles of their own, they wouldn't miss them.

These communities are great, and we have one fairly near our house. However, they are quite expensive, approximately cost $100,000 more than our present home.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:54 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Some people, I believe, actually like holding up traffic and lingering in airports. These people are everywhere and just trying to be a Pain to everyone else.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Why is this even a question? If people are in the way, and you can't get them to move ahead, it's very irritating.

If they're slow pokes in their own lane, and you can easily get around them, they're not irritating at all.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:32 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times
I also don't get why people stand still on escalators, when walking down up and down them goes faster. Why is that?

Old 02-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Just lounging there on the escalator, particularly blocking others from walking up or down.
That comment is kind of weird.

Escalators are people movers. You're expected to get on, and stay still, and let the moving stairs take you up or down.

You're not intended to climb up or down on them, as that creates a safety hazard if there are lots of people on them at the same time, and you're trying to skip around and past people who are using the escalator, and you might block them as they are trying to step on or off.

I actually wanted my local shopping mall to allow me to walk against traffic - as in climbing up the down escalator - as an exercise opportunity when no one else was using the escalator during inclement weather when I wanted to work out.

They said absolutely not, escalators are meant for stationary people, get on, stand still, and get off when you reach your destination floor. Otherwise, they said, security would be likely to stop you and tell you not to move around on an escalator.

(The one exception is in an airport, where people are absolutely desperate to reach their destinations and no one is likely to stop them. Or maybe in a serious emergency like a bombing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology