Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 01:08 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times

Advertisements

I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 01:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Well, I imagine you are an impatient person.

So am I, actually.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:26 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
If people knew to "stand right, pass left" on escalators and moving sidewalks (and even non-moving sidewalks!) it wouldn't be such an issue. If you're not slowing me down, I don't care - but get out of the way!

Old 02-03-2019, 01:30 PM

61,692 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Some slowpokes just tend to slow us down - therefore the irritation.
However, most people don't put into consideration that being slow might have many causes: age, deteriorating health - mobility or mental status, hearing, vision, weight etc.
Driving slowpokes might have the same reasons PLUS some just are thinking they need to enforce driving laws, or they don't know the laws, or are afraid of driving, or love to irritate others. Passive-aggresive road rage...
Try to avoid them if you can.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Unless the person is a child, elderly, or obviously disabled I see it as an act of general disregard for other people and entitlement. People who know they walk slower can and should keep to the right and anyone who was raised in North America st least should know this. It's highly annoying when people just are strolling along typically weaving a bit as well or suddenly stopping to look at their phones without checking their surroundings ESPECIALLY at places like airports where obviously there will be tons of people trying to actually get somewhere on a schedule.

*For the record I am kind of a control freak so this may be a factor.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:15 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post

What do you mean "sit there on escalators"? Do you mean standing still and letting the escalator move you up or down? If so that's kind of the point of escalators.

I do get annoyed when someone stops/blocks an entire aisle or walkway without regard for people who might want to get through. Also when a group of more than one person insist on walking side by side across an entire aisle preventing anyone from passing them.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:18 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
What do you mean "sit there on escalators"? Do you mean standing still and letting the escalator move you up or down? If so that's kind of the point of escalators.
Just lounging there on the escalator, particularly blocking others from walking up or down.

To me, the point of an escalator is to make it easier to get up or down. I don't see the point in just standing there--why not walk up or down (unless you're old/infirm/have balance issues/are carrying something really heavy)? You'd have to walk up or down on stairs, and an escalator just speeds that up and makes it less burdensome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Some slowpokes just tend to slow us down - therefore the irritation.
However, most people don't put into consideration that being slow might have many causes: age, deteriorating health - mobility or mental status, hearing, vision, weight etc.
Driving slowpokes might have the same reasons PLUS some just are thinking they need to enforce driving laws, or they don't know the laws, or are afraid of driving, or love to irritate others. Passive-aggresive road rage...
Try to avoid them if you can.
Of course, if someone looks as though s/he may have mobility issues, I don't look down on the person.

But if someone is a healthy-looking adult and can walk, just walking at 1 mile per hour, particularly while looking at a phone and weaving around- that irks me. Move it!

Old 02-03-2019, 05:27 PM

People looking at the phone while walking are a completely different breed called MMM
- short for Mobile Marching Morons.
The "phone walk" is the next stage in human evolution - they are developing text claw, iPosture and exaggerated, slow, wobbly walk while posting every darn step they take on the FB.
They look like and act like zombies...

Last edited by elnina; 02-03-2019 at 05:46 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
P&K most likely meant a moving staircase which carries people between floors of a building or department store. I saw people sitting on the stairs and texting...

Old 02-03-2019, 05:39 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Some people whose locations don't have a lot of public transport, etc., where escalators are in use maybe don't understand the unwritten rule of escalator travel: walk on the left, stand still on the right. This way people who have deadlines, or just those who don't feel like standing still on the escalator, can continue up the escalator and save time. This also goes for meandering down a sidewalk; stay to the right so someone coming up behind you can pass. It used to be not so important, but nowadays with many more people everywhere there need to be some rules, even if they're unwritten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology