Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:04 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
A lot of times, I think it is that people resent having the pace at which they do things effectively controlled by others.
I think you might be correct to a great degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 11:06 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,089,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Some slowpokes just tend to slow us down - therefore the irritation.
However, most people don't put into consideration that being slow might have many causes: age, deteriorating health - mobility or mental status, hearing, vision, weight etc.
Driving slowpokes might have the same reasons PLUS some just are thinking they need to enforce driving laws, or they don't know the laws, or are afraid of driving, or love to irritate others. Passive-aggresive road rage...
Try to avoid them if you can.
It irritates me. I notice it mostly in driving on the freeway. If you’re only going to drive 65 or less get out of the left lane. They’re either doing it deliberately or are completely clueless and stupid. Or the ones who pull out in front of you literally on two wheels then slow down immediately and drive 15 mph below the speed limit. .

Old 02-09-2019, 11:37 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,773,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.
When I was younger I was impatient. I now pretty much say so what and slow pokes do not bother me much. The transition happened when I retired and moved out of the city. My life is just slower now. I used to be like a wound-up spring all the time, hurry, hurry, hurry.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:33 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
I think 'hurry sickness' (being almost constantly in a hurry) is not a positive trait.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:26 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think 'hurry sickness' (being almost constantly in a hurry) is not a positive trait.
It’s not about being in a hurry. It’s anout driving at a comfortable pace, 5-8 or so over limit, and then someone going 2 mph under the speed limit forces me to alter that comfortable pace. Yesterday on my way to work, we had a lead car going 5-10 mph under the speed limit for 5 or 6 miles, 2 lane road but no passing zone, no intersections and no reason to drive that slowly. It’s frustrating. I don’t drive really fast, most here just want to drive the flow of traffic, which is normally over the limit not by a lot but 5-10 depending what type of road. Then one person results in a long slow parade for everyone.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:45 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

It’s not about being in a hurry. It’s anout driving at a comfortable pace, 5-8 or so over limit, and then someone going 2 mph under the speed limit forces me to alter that comfortable pace. Yesterday on my way to work, we had a lead car going 5-10 mph under the speed limit for 5 or 6 miles, 2 lane road but no passing zone, no intersections and no reason to drive that slowly. It’s frustrating. I don’t drive really fast, most here just want to drive the flow of traffic, which is normally over the limit not by a lot but 5-10 depending what type of road. Then one person results in a long slow parade for everyone.
I was not referring to just driving. I was talking about the 'hurry sickness' people have in many aspects of their life.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:28 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
It irritates me. I notice it mostly in driving on the freeway. If you’re only going to drive 65 or less get out of the left lane. They’re either doing it deliberately or are completely clueless and stupid. Or the ones who pull out in front of you literally on two wheels then slow down immediately and drive 15 mph below the speed limit. .
Everything you said here.

An even more dangerous practice I see is the person driving slowly in the middle lane of a heavily-traveled three-lane highway. Other cars start to pass them on the left AND the right, and then sometimes both want to get into the middle lane further up and have to watch out for each other. They've become an obstacle to get around. If you just want to tool along below the speed limit, get into the right lane.

I've glanced at some of these drivers as I've passed them on the left. Sometimes the driver just seems zoned out and doesn't appear to be fully aware that he or she is driving, while others are leaning forward with bugged eyes and clenched jaws, hands clutching the wheel as if they're charged with landing a jet airliner on the New Jersey Turnpike. They look terrified to find themselves driving on a major highway.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:10 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,773,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Haha, then don't move to Hawaii. We live on Maui and people drive whatever speed they feel like, which often is under the speed limit. I mostly don't care, it is what it is and what's the hurry anyway? But when they drive 25 in a 45 zone I do start to get itchy.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:45 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.
Only if they prevent me from passing them up. Otherwise, to each his own.

Viva la difference.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:00 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,676,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
I think many regard me as a "slowpoke". Here are some reasons you may not realize. I was born duck footed or knock kneed, and have a long torso. That means naturally my gate is slower than others naturally. Usually if Im out with a group walking, they leave me behind in the dust. I was constantly told growing ul to hurry up and walk faster. That means I usually have to adjust my gate (sic) to twice as large as other peoples or basically run to catch up, or adjust my legs in a completely unnatural way. Its no fun I assure you and I dont do it to "**** you off". I do get road rage on crosswalks by annoyed motorists. I would classify it as a disability though not a major one but largely invisible as Im not elderly. Just some things to think about. I can completely understand your point about people on phones.
Although I appreciate your comment, I have MS cannot clear a crosswalk in the allowed time EVEN on my best days but DO keep to the right in crowded areas. I don't appear in any way disabled 80% of the time and the fact that I have an illness doesn't entitle me to electively inconvience other people by not keeping right. The crosswalk issue I can't do much about, often dropping stuff while paying I can't do much about. Keeping to the right and being as considerate as possible are things I can manage and I make it a point to make them happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology