Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 03:22 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If you go to NYC, do follow the keep right, pass on the left rule on escalators and stairs. And don't stop dead in the middle of a sidewalk with hundreds of people behind you, either.

The very worst offenders are the cretins who walk slowly on sidewalks three or four abreast HOLDING HANDS. As crazy as it sounds, I've seen it happen a number of times. It is beyond rude and one of those things that make me think personal tasers should be allowed.
They ARE, just not in New Jersey ahh rekkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I'm a fast-paced, impatient person, and I definitely can't stand slowness. But I noticed that slow people are also very calm, and they are likely great to have in an emergency because while someone like me will be panicking, they'll be the calm and quiet ones to calm everyone else down. At least based on the slow people I know in my own life. Ha ha.
Yes, perhaps. But suppose you have an emergency and the slowpokes are the only responders, but they don't get there in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When I moved to Texas, one of the first things I noticed were people moving really, really slow. Maybe because I moved from the EU, where people are used to walk, and walk briskly.
I actually asked and was told that they don't rush because of the weather. The intense heat and high humidity is very exhausting, they sweat easily, skin get flushed, body heats up.
There could be also other factors - some people are not used to walk, especially in the car dependent cities. Some have problems with their weight. Some get so used to walk slow, they move slow even when is cool.
Funny things - when I was walking at work, my normal pace - I was told to "stop running around" because it makes people nervous, and creates atmosphere that some emergency is happening...

Pedestrians rules:
https://www.dailyedge.ie/rules-for-p...52898-Jun2016/
Ha. I growed up up norff, as they say in some up norff places. I was always a mover, fast not slow. I walked fast, I ran fast, I rode my bicycles and bike fast, I drove fast.

I worked in a car factory for some years, and to get the job done we had to move it. When my partner at the parts bank left for some reason, I recall going though maybe a dozen slugs, one every day or two, who did nothing but slow things down.

It was easier to do the job by myself, which consisted of banking car hoods that weighed about 60 lbs. We'd bank them out of paint, and build the bank in scheduled sequence so we could just pop them over to the trip to final line. Dragging some of those guys all over the floor all day was NOT fun.

Later, in the Army, I buddied up with an Oakie during advanced training. Sticksville but lots of fun. We ended up in Germany. We'd go to Frankfurt, I walked fast and he sauntered along.

I had to teach him how to walk fast and how to cross the street, crossing by intimidation because the way I learned in the city was if you have the right of way, you walk off the curb and across the street as if you own it, not looking (actually looking out of the corner of your eye to make sure you don't get whacked). This was before pedestrian right-of-way was common.

If you hesitate or show weakness or any ambiguity, you won't get across.
Many was the time I went marching across and he got stuck on the other side because he hesitated.

So he learned to walk fast, he learned to cross streets. Women would say, "Hey, Texas!" because he was a cowboy but calling him "Texas" was NOT a compliment. He'd explain, "Hey, I'm from Oklahoma, not GD Texas!" That didn't usually sink in.
But I suppose at that time in Germany most young women knew about Texas, New York, and California, that equals the USA. Funny.

Last edited by elnina; 02-06-2019 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 10:50 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.
I think it’s just frustration, not a psych issue. I do everything fast, walk fast, talk fast, eat fast. If I’m talking to my 87 year old mom and she’s taking forever to find the words while telling me something, I get impatient. If I’m driving down the road at 55 and a car ahead is going 48, I’m going to be frustrated and impatient. It’s just a dislike of having my progress impeded, it feels physically hard for me to do things slowly by nature.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:13 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
I guess the flip side of this question is why people dislike speed demons so much. They get in your way and interfere, too.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:30 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think it’s just frustration, not a psych issue.
What is frustration, if not a mental state?

Old 02-09-2019, 07:41 AM

468 posts, read 616,416 times
Impatience.

Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
What is frustration, if not a mental state?
Everything g is a mental state. That doesn’t mean it’s a psych issue. When I’d walk my grandmother into a store, at a pace where turtles and snails passed us, it was hard for me to adjust my speed that much, because I’m used to walking much faster. It’s frustrating but not because of some mental dysfunction.

If you’re walking down sidewalk at a pace that feels notmal for you, and a bunch of elderly people exit a store walking right in front of you at a pace much slower than you were just walking, and you couldn’t pass them, I guarantee it would feel frustrating to you. That’s how I feel when I’m doing 5 over the limit, and some person pulls out right in front of me going 5 below the limit. On the roads I travel, half the time there’s not a single person behind me.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Everything g is a mental state. That doesn’t mean it’s a psych issue. When I’d walk my grandmother into a store, at a pace where turtles and snails passed us, it was hard for me to adjust my speed that much, because I’m used to walking much faster. It’s frustrating but not because of some mental dysfunction.

If you’re walking down sidewalk at a pace that feels notmal for you, and a bunch of elderly people exit a store walking right in front of you at a pace much slower than you were just walking, and you couldn’t pass them, I guarantee it would feel frustrating to you. That’s how I feel when I’m doing 5 over the limit, and some person pulls out right in front of me going 5 below the limit. On the roads I travel, half the time there’s not a single person behind me.
Fair enough.

Getting frustrated with slowpokes is one thing, but judging them as lazy and fat-shaming them is a character flaw.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Fair enough.

Getting frustrated with slowpokes is one thing, but judging them as lazy and fat-shaming them is a character flaw.
I don’t know anyone who does that. I agree that is ridiculous if people are.

I want to add, sometimes I’m a slowpoke. I drive a couple of very dark roads home from work and A. I’m older so drive slower at night than I used to, and B. I worry about deer in those roads, so I generally go the speed limit. BUT before I pull onto that road, I can easily tell if the person coming is going fast or not. If they are, I wait for them to go by before I pull out, even if I have plenty of time to pull out. I have never understood people who pull out in front of someone clearly going faster than they want to drive, when they know they are going to go much slower. In cases with lots of traffic there’s no choice, but it happens even with no other cars in the road and no one in sight behind. It feels very passive aggressive to me.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I don’t know anyone who does that. I agree that is ridiculous if people are.
Splendid. Some of the earlier posters in this thread were sorta doing it.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:57 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.
A lot of times, I think it is that people resent having the pace at which they do things effectively controlled by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology