Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:52 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times

Advertisements

There's a way to handle people who are moving too slowly for you. It goes something like this, "Excuse me, could I please get by?", asked in a pleasant voice with a smile.

What happened to manners in this world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 12:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Speed is relative. When everyone one the road drives at 70mph, a person going 60mph is low because everyone doing 70mph is at a constant and you won't notice any difference except those are faster or slower.

However, we have a big problem if someone going slower is blocking all lanes and not allowing faster traffic to go by.

Why is this such a big problem in America and not in Germany where there is no speed limit on major highways and 81MPH everywhere else. Drivers there move over to allow faster traffic to go through. Why is it so difficult?

Old 02-11-2019, 02:17 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
So is the speed limit 70 when you zip past them?
Quote:
I do think you can be ticketed for speeding, even if you are passing someone. I need to check that out. Watch out for “speed trap” small cities.
Yes, but at the same time, you can also be ticketed for impeding the flow of traffic - even if you're going the speed limit. I recently read a discussion about this on a CHP (California Highway Patrol) Facebook page, and the CHP representative confirmed that. Even they said "Stay/move right unless you're passing, regardless of how fast or slow the other drivers are going." In fact, the whole thing started because of this image they posted...

P.S. Here in California, most of our freeways have a 65-70mph limit; so if I were going 70mph around here, that would actually be kinda slow with the usual flow of traffic. While if another driver were going 58mph (as stated in the post you were quoting), that would be well BELOW our limits!

Old 02-11-2019, 04:12 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Speed is relative. When everyone one the road drives at 70mph, a person going 60mph is low because everyone doing 70mph is at a constant and you won't notice any difference except those are faster or slower.

However, we have a big problem if someone going slower is blocking all lanes and not allowing faster traffic to go by.

Why is this such a big problem in America and not in Germany where there is no speed limit on major highways and 81MPH everywhere else. Drivers there move over to allow faster traffic to go through. Why is it so difficult?
Going back and forth between EU and the Us, I
observe the same thing and actually it doesn't stop there.

I believe Americans are a bit more self centered and entitled and
this is evident just sitting at a turn light where everyone is so slow
to get moving. I observe at times where just two cars make the light due
to drivers being so slow on the uptake and not thinking that anyone else might
need to get thru the light. Seems like no one minds, Americans are also very accepting so
perhaps that is the true reason.
Just look at how this country has accepted the show going on in The White House,
don't think most other civilized countries would put up with Trump.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:38 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Going back and forth between EU and the Us, I
observe the same thing and actually it doesn't stop there.

I believe Americans are a bit more self centered and entitled and
this is evident just sitting at a turn light where everyone is so slow
to get moving. I observe at times where just two cars make the light due
to drivers being so slow on the uptake and not thinking that anyone else might
need to get thru the light. Seems like no one minds, Americans are also very accepting so
perhaps that is the true reason.
Just look at how this country has accepted the show going on in The White House,
don't think most other civilized countries would put up with Trump.
We don’t all accept it willingly, LOL. If it’s a tractor trailer or a big truck, I expect them to take a mile to get back up to speed. But it’s another car that I know is capable of doing it in a much more efficient manner, I find it irritating. The worst thing, is when I am say 10th in line at the light. Half a mile after the light turns green, the first eight cars are a mile or two ahead of us, and I’m behind the one slow person who can’t go the speed of traffic.

I want to emphasize again, because I don’t think many people are really paying attention to all the posts, I do not drive superfast. I go between five and 10 miles over the speed limit, normally the flow of traffic.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
OP, because they have 'hurry sickness'. Having a personality where one is always or frequently in a hurry is actually detrimental to one's heart (medically) and it stresses many of the body systems causing harm to them.
As other people have pointed out, often our "pace" is hardwired into us. And it also has to do with leg and torso lengths. Oh, and disabilities which are sometimes not able to be seen.

For the record, I am a very fast moving person - always have been and probably always will be. I also think fast, talk fast, type fast, etc. It's just the way I AM. I can't change that any more than I could change my height. And my blood pressure is always on the low side of things. Heart rate is healthy. Like a former boss (who has been one of my best friends now for decades) said to me once, "You will never get an ulcer but you may give one to someone else!" Lots of "fast moving" people don't internalize stress. About the only thing that stresses me out is very slow moving people! I guess I'm not a Type A personality though I am a "fast mover." People often think I'm in a hurry but I'm really not - I'm just always moving fast. I clean my house fast, I run errands fast, I pay bills fast, I fall asleep fast, I wake up fast - I just do everything quickly. In every professional position I've ever held, my coworkers and bosses always remark about what a hard worker I am, how organized, etc. I don't try to be that way and I don't feel any stress about being that way, I just AM that way.

What I've learned over the years is that just as other people need to be patient with me, I need to be patient with them. It honestly didn't occur to me till later in life that my fast pace might be just as irritating to them as their slow pace often is to me.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:37 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.
People dislike being impeded. What's the mystery?

Old 02-12-2019, 11:19 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
Quote:
So is the speed limit 70 when you zip past them?
Sometimes it’s 65 and some places it’s 70. Either way they’re going too slow for the passing lane and then we have to go in the middle or right lanes and back and forth to get around them. They won’t move over and create more hazards by causing other drivers to do several maneuvers to get around them.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:21 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, but at the same time, you can also be ticketed for impeding the flow of traffic - even if you're going the speed limit. I recently read a discussion about this on a CHP (California Highway Patrol) Facebook page, and the CHP representative confirmed that. Even they said "Stay/move right unless you're passing, regardless of how fast or slow the other drivers are going." In fact, the whole thing started because of this image they posted...

P.S. Here in California, most of our freeways have a 65-70mph limit; so if I were going 70mph around here, that would actually be kinda slow with the usual flow of traffic. While if another driver were going 58mph (as stated in the post you were quoting), that would be well BELOW our limits!
Exactly, and that’s where I live.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:24 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
One thing I wanted to add after reading all of these stories from people in the big cities:

I used to be a "hurrrrrrrry uppppppp!" kind of person. Very impatient. I didn't even want to consider why the person was slow, they are just. in. my. way. garrrr!

Then I moved to Miami. I thought I was impatient? The jaw dropping incivility in Miami is worse than anything I've seen anywhere - even in NYC. After spending 6 years there dealing with non stop arrogance, impatience, rudeness, obnoxiousness, etc all in the name of "hurry the hell up!!!", I slowed down.

I don't get in other peoples' way, I'm still cognizant that others are in a fat hurry to get wherever, but I've slowed down on purpose. (I still drive 10 over the speed limit, except in town, but even that is slower than I used to drive.)

But after spending 6 years surrounded by people who were angry that they were being "inconvenienced" for even a millisecond - they lay on their horns the millisecond that light turns green, (and no, that is not an exaggeration - it's literally "ding: greenHOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonk! !!!"), I realized that being in a huge hurry for every thing - every. last. thing. is not worth it.

I decided to stop going through life with the attitude of "you're holding me up, OMG, MOVE!" to, "Wow. I'm really lucky. I can see, I can walk, I can drive, (I'm female - not every female in the world gets to drive), I have a car at all, I have a job, I'm healthy... I do not have to be in a rush for everything. If something doesn't get done today - eh, it's okay. It's truly not a big deal in the bigger picture".

When I moved from Miami to Maine, I was sharing my journey on the Miami forum. A poster accused me of making everything up because "no one" could move that fast. It was proven by someone who had access to my IP address that I was indeed going from state to state on this journey. I had made up my mind and was on my way in less than 2 weeks.

First of all, it's just me and the pets. I don't have to sit around and wait to sell a house or kids' school or whatever. I just get up and go if I want.

Second, almost everything can be done on the internet. It took me less than 3 days to find the house to rent and send off an email to the landlord, talk to the landlord at length so she could get to know me since I was coming sight unseen, and get to the post office to send off the check for first, last, and deposit. While that was going on, I was going to moving stores to get boxes. I was going to the cell phone store to get a cell phone. I found a pet transport, I found a moving company for some of my bigger items - and then I had to leave the job.

You may have a job that requires you to get things done fast, but that doesn't mean you have to race around like an out of control wind up mouse. People say "work smarter, not harder". Efficiency is finding out how to do it smarter, and not cause yourself to run around like you're running from a fire.

I have discovered that slowing things down has actually caused me to enjoy life a whole lot more - I'm no longer racing to the next thing - I'm enjoying the journey as I get to the next thing. So many little things that I missed along the way - little things - like the bird who had been attacked, flapping around on the ground - I stopped. Picked it up. Took it inside for a day. Let it recover and released it back out the next day. In my rushing days, I would never have spotted that little bird. Or just smelling the scents when the trees are in bloom. Or just enjoying the new flowers that the apartment complex people have planted - the colors, how nice it all looks. Or just walking slowly and looking up at the sky - the clouds, the storm, the constellations, etc. Despite all of that, I still manage to get things done -and I'm a lot calmer now.

That all changes when I have to sit at the DMV and listen to someone argue about what paperwork they forgot - but I'm learning to even deal with that. Hey, being at the DMV means I have a car to even worry about getting registered - so, maybe it's not such a bad thing after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
...I remember one time, I was on my lunch break, looking to purchase a particular Christmas gift, at a particular shop. This shop was located in a historic and touristy part of town, and at Christmas time, the street looks very Christmasy, which means lots of tourists and shoppers.

I was bookin it, walking like my life depended on it, because I only had an hour lunch, a good 20 minutes already eaten up by driving, parking, and now walking to this particular store.

You just reminded me about something that happened when I worked in a retail store after getting out of the military and waiting for school to start. It was a Christmas themed store, and we had a lot of people coming and going, but I'll never forget the day that the businessman strode into the store, plucked things off of shelves left and right without even giving more consideration than "this is for girls" "this is for boys", and then briskly walked up to the counter, threw his items on it, and whipped out his credit card, holding it in front of him, impatiently waiting for me to ring up the 30 some odd things he had just grabbed, almost randomly.

When I was done, we didn't have bags big enough for his stuff, so we suggested a garbage bag. He agreed because he was in a big fat hurry to get going. So we stuffed all of his purchases into a big, black, garbage bag. He slung it over his shoulder like an apathetic but grumpy Santa Claus, and raced out of the store. I felt the symbolism in that was quite accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
There's a way to handle people who are moving too slowly for you. It goes something like this, "Excuse me, could I please get by?", asked in a pleasant voice with a smile.

What happened to manners in this world?
Those don't exist anymore. Currently, on social media, there's an image going around of a scene on a public bus. In the seats are 4 young people, perfectly capable of standing, all on their phones or listening to music with earbuds in. Standing, holding on to a bar, is an elderly woman who has a back that causes her to be unable to stand up straight. Not one of those young people is even looking at her - completely absorbed in their own world - while this at least 80 year old is standing there, hunched over, clearly needing a seat. I've seen this happen myself, (not the same pic but just like it), and it ticks me off - get your lazy butt up and give her the seat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

That is a great sign. In the many states and areas that I've lived in, the majority do not get over. Some states are great about it. Signs like that need to be up everywhere, and it would be great if cops yanked people over for camping in that left lane - if it's part of state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology