Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:11 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,826,279 times

Advertisements

I can be kind of slow myself...especially driving. Slow pokes never bother me. High strung, stressed out people irritate me a lot more now matter how efficient they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 08:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I can be kind of slow myself...especially driving. Slow pokes never bother me. High strung, stressed out people irritate me a lot more now matter how efficient they are.
Speaking for "fast movers," let me just point out that being "high strung," (aka as a fast mover) doesn't necessarily mean that we're also stressed out. I think that people are just wired at certain speeds - and feeling forced to move at a different speed can result in a feeling of stress. You're saying that other people who move at a different speed from you "irritate" you - that could be translated to a feeling of being stressed out.

I've shared that I'm a fast walker. When I was working in a very large furniture store (in a job that I loved - SO MUCH FUN!), I clearly recall the litany I had to play in my head with some customers - "Walk more slowly, walk more slowly." I had to make a conscious decision to alter my "speed" depending on the "speed" of different customers. It didn't stress me out but it did make me more uncomfortable to move very slowly vs more quickly.

Even so, even though I tried to move at the same speed of customers, I often heard "Wow, you are so energetic - I don't know how you do this all day every day!" As soon as I heard that, I noted "Move more slowly!"

Old 02-15-2019, 10:34 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Speaking for "fast movers," let me just point out that being "high strung," (aka as a fast mover) doesn't necessarily mean that we're also stressed out. I think that people are just wired at certain speeds - and feeling forced to move at a different speed can result in a feeling of stress. You're saying that other people who move at a different speed from you "irritate" you - that could be translated to a feeling of being stressed out.

I've shared that I'm a fast walker. When I was working in a very large furniture store (in a job that I loved - SO MUCH FUN!), I clearly recall the litany I had to play in my head with some customers - "Walk more slowly, walk more slowly." I had to make a conscious decision to alter my "speed" depending on the "speed" of different customers. It didn't stress me out but it did make me more uncomfortable to move very slowly vs more quickly.

Even so, even though I tried to move at the same speed of customers, I often heard "Wow, you are so energetic - I don't know how you do this all day every day!" As soon as I heard that, I noted "Move more slowly!"
This is me too! When my ex and I would be walking in the boardwalk he was always going “would you please wait for me”? Because without even realizing it I’d be 20 paces in front. It had absolutely nothing to do with being in a hurry, it’s just my natural (perhaps ADHD fueled) pace. Once I looked down to get the second half of my sandwich and realized I’d already eaten the whole thing lol.

On the road I’m not a zoomed as I’ve said before, but I like a comfortable pace with space in front of me. That’s what really annoys me when someone slower pulls in front of me, not the speed but now having someone right in front of me and it’s no longer the relaxed drive it was before he pulled out.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:24 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,966 times
Maybe those able-bodied slowpokes have a lot of free time in their personal world. Just sayin'

Old 02-16-2019, 06:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Maybe those able-bodied slowpokes have a lot of free time in their personal world. Just sayin'
They have to share this world with all sorts of people who have all sorts of other lives, metabolisms, schedules, etc.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
They have so much time and they’re not in a hurry, then why are they pulling out in front of me when I’m 100 feet away and there’s no one behind me?

Old 02-16-2019, 05:49 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
I don't mind slowpokes as long as they follow protocol: stand or move slowly to the right, and don't abruptly stop when people are right behind you.

And ffs, please do try to be on time. No one where I live seems to be capable of punctuality, and I really won't wait around for them unless it's either something very important or they have a damn good excuse.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:15 AM

12,782 posts, read 15,001,003 times
I'm an overall patient person. Wishing that everyone would walk up an already moving escalator just to get out of the way is going too far IMO...just standing on it while it's moving is perfectly fine w/ me.

Acceptable situations to want people to MOVE fast:

- the carpool & fast lanes on the freeway
- other knowingly fast-moving places

The thing that irks me THE MOST are people who move slowly, yet stand in the very MIDDLE of a path, etc. so no one else can move either! That's being so incredibly imposing, which my parents taught me not to be. So if you're going to move slowly, move the heck way over so others can get by.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm an overall patient person. Wishing that everyone would walk up an already moving escalator just to get out of the way is going too far IMO...just standing on it while it's moving is perfectly fine w/ me.

Acceptable situations to want people to MOVE fast:

- the carpool & fast lanes on the freeway
- other knowingly fast-moving places

The thing that irks me THE MOST are people who move slowly, yet stand in the very MIDDLE of a path, etc. so no one else can move either! That's being so incredibly imposing, which my parents taught me not to be. So if you're going to move slowly, move the heck way over so others can get by.
I find "stroller people" do this on the boardwalk. People now don't use regular strollers, they are ginormous, some of them are double and even triple strollers now cause everyone's on fertility meds. They block the whole way, not to mention store aisles and even entrances.

I also have a pet peeve about people strolling slowly in the Surrey lanes on the boardwalk, despite the markings. I don't like surreys personally, but those people pay like $25 for half an hour, they should at least be able to use it.

I feel like people are more oblivious now, in general.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:31 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,379,279 times
People are more oblivious now. Also, some are just plain rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology