Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.
It's just because there are 4 types of temperament. And so, those who are calm walk slowly (like melancholic or lymphatic people) and those like choleric people consider others to be slowpokes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 01:39 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,089,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They have so much time and they’re not in a hurry, then why are they pulling out in front of me when I’m 100 feet away and there’s no one behind me?
That happened to me the other night. Then after pulling out in front of you they slow down and never get up to speed. Or you pass them then or try to and they speed up aggressively to make sure you don’t get ahead of them. Good thing for the ahole the other night that I don’t have telekinetic powers because I’d have radiated his a$$ into a speck of dust.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:13 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
That happened to me the other night. Then after pulling out in front of you they slow down and never get up to speed. Or you pass them then or try to and they speed up aggressively to make sure you don’t get ahead of them. Good thing for the ahole the other night that I don’t have telekinetic powers because I’d have radiated his a$$ into a speck of dust.
Complaining about traffic is a full-time occupation in New Jersey.

Last night I was driving down the NJ Turnpike and I came across a problem I see frequently. There are three lanes of traffic, and there's a slowpoke tooling along in the center lane. While everyone knows about the idiots who park themselves in the left lane and seem unaware that it's for passing/higher speed cars, I think the center-lane people are more dangerous because now you've got cars trying to get around them from both the left and right lanes and then wanting to move back into the center. This can cause crashes.

I've looked at these drivers to see what the problem is as I've passed. I notice two different types. One seems completely elsewhere, as if they aren't really aware that they are driving a vehicle on a major, heavily-trafficked highway, and the other seems horrified to find himself or herself on a major highway, as if they somehow drove on to it accidentally and don't want to be there. Eyes are wide, body is forward and hunched over the steering wheel, hands are clutching the wheel in a death grip. If either way is how you drive, please stay to the right. Better yet, get off the road.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:23 AM

658 posts, read 722,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.
I have knee problems and piriformis syndrome so when it's acting up I literally can't move/walk quickly. You can't SEE my pain (I hide it. I don't have a service dog or cane or walker or whatever because I feel too embarrassed to use those things.) but some days it can be excruciating. One day I went to Target and started out feeling no pain at all but half way through my piriformis muscle started doing its thing and it kept getting worse and worse til I thought I wasn't going to be able to even walk back to the front of the store. I had to keep stopping and trying to stretch or find somewhere to sit and rest it.)

So uh "slowpokes", well sometimes it's medical. Just pray you never have to be so afflicted. How about be thankful you can walk (quickly?). And remember that no one owes it to you to walk faster or at any given speed. It's called "freedom". You're free to go around others or take an elevator or you know, just practice patience (it's a virtue after all!)

If someone is slow ahead of me and I'm feeling well and frisky enough I just walk around them. If I can't get by I just chill out and try to appreciate the moment. Maybe the cosmos is telling me to stop and look around and breathe.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Complaining about traffic is a full-time occupation in New Jersey.

Last night I was driving down the NJ Turnpike and I came across a problem I see frequently. There are three lanes of traffic, and there's a slowpoke tooling along in the center lane. While everyone knows about the idiots who park themselves in the left lane and seem unaware that it's for passing/higher speed cars, I think the center-lane people are more dangerous because now you've got cars trying to get around them from both the left and right lanes and then wanting to move back into the center. This can cause crashes.

I've looked at these drivers to see what the problem is as I've passed. I notice two different types. One seems completely elsewhere, as if they aren't really aware that they are driving a vehicle on a major, heavily-trafficked highway, and the other seems horrified to find himself or herself on a major highway, as if they somehow drove on to it accidentally and don't want to be there. Eyes are wide, body is forward and hunched over the steering wheel, hands are clutching the wheel in a death grip. If either way is how you drive, please stay to the right. Better yet, get off the road.
OK so now people tooling in the left lane cause crashes, people in the center lane cause crashes and people in the right lane cause crashes. Is there ANY lane for people who don't drive 100 MPH?

And people don't have the right to drive at all if they meet the criteria above? really? Whatever happened to freedom in this world, or does freedom only apply to you?

Old 02-28-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm an overall patient person. Wishing that everyone would walk up an already moving escalator just to get out of the way is going too far IMO...just standing on it while it's moving is perfectly fine w/ me.

Acceptable situations to want people to MOVE fast:

- the carpool & fast lanes on the freeway
- other knowingly fast-moving places

The thing that irks me THE MOST are people who move slowly, yet stand in the very MIDDLE of a path, etc. so no one else can move either! That's being so incredibly imposing, which my parents taught me not to be. So if you're going to move slowly, move the heck way over so others can get by.
If I wanted to take the stairs I'd take the stairs. Escalators move for a reason and I don't think anyone has to run up them like they're a stationary staircase. They're already MOVING by sheer fact of being motorized stairs. What more do ya want? Sheesh.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Some people, especially if they have a kid in the cart, will stop completely in the middle of the aisle and take their sweet time looking for something. Why don’t they move to the side?
Guess what happens when you move to the side?

You get people coming into the aisle who end up wanting to look at the thing you're right in front of. Also, if someone else is in the aisle first then they get to shop first. You wait for them to be done. That's how it works. They were there before you and have every right to take their sweet time looking for something they need. I'm sure you'd want to do the same thing if you needed to find something on a shelf and couldn't find it instantly in order to accommodate others who entered the area after you did. I must be the only person who doesn't reach around others to get what I want on a shelf.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
If you read this thread you will see that there are many people who have expressed contempt for people who are slow EVEN IF they aren't impeding the progress of anyone.
Yeah, wait til they get old and infirm and start breaking down and all the young'uns will be whining and pushing them to move their butts. That'll feel nice, I'm sure.

Thing is, you're going to break down. It's guaranteed you're going to get slower and slower so one day if you're lucky you will be a slowpoke and get to suffer all the indignities of the fast crowd feeling superior to you. "But, but I used to be fast!" you'll think. "I'm one of you! I used to be so fast!"

Old 02-28-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
It irritates me. I notice it mostly in driving on the freeway. If you’re only going to drive 65 or less get out of the left lane. They’re either doing it deliberately or are completely clueless and stupid. Or the ones who pull out in front of you literally on two wheels then slow down immediately and drive 15 mph below the speed limit. .
Depends on the speed limit. If the limit is 60 you can't demand people to drive a lot faster and risk getting pulled over just to accommodate YOU. Cops don't care about the "go with the flow" and the "but being slow causes crashes" stuff. They just want to ticket you. My hubby got ticketed for speeding passing someone on a highway. And he is a chronically slow driver (I'm talking 5 under the speed limit almost all the time which I don't like. I say drive the speed limit or 5 above.) So ultimately if it's between some pushy person who doesn't plan their route or leave early enough to get where they're going in time and me getting a ticket from a very zealous cop, you're gonna lose every time.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:28 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
I have knee problems and piriformis syndrome so when it's acting up I literally can't move/walk quickly. You can't SEE my pain (I hide it. I don't have a service dog or cane or walker or whatever because I feel too embarrassed to use those things.) but some days it can be excruciating. One day I went to Target and started out feeling no pain at all but half way through my piriformis muscle started doing its thing and it kept getting worse and worse til I thought I wasn't going to be able to even walk back to the front of the store. I had to keep stopping and trying to stretch or find somewhere to sit and rest it.)

So uh "slowpokes", well sometimes it's medical. Just pray you never have to be so afflicted. How about be thankful you can walk (quickly?). And remember that no one owes it to you to walk faster or at any given speed. It's called "freedom". You're free to go around others or take an elevator or you know, just practice patience (it's a virtue after all!)

If someone is slow ahead of me and I'm feeling well and frisky enough I just walk around them. If I can't get by I just chill out and try to appreciate the moment. Maybe the cosmos is telling me to stop and look around and breathe.
I’m guessing though that you don’t deliberately cut people off who are walking faster, and get in front of them. That is the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology