Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:17 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep. Abolishing diagnostic criteria wholesale is a really great way to address mental illness, developmental disabilities, and neurological disorders. Really great.

Thank you for your constructive contribution.

If there is no diagnostic morphological or physiological pathology...and thoughts, moods, feelings and behaviors are not pathologies...the exact same result and exact same treatment can be achieved with less or no stigma by classifying or categorizing instead of (pseudo) diagnosing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 08:21 PM

834 posts, read 1,017,081 times
I'm not making it up everything I've said can be confirmed with quick internet searches..

The two top asperger users on YouTube have careers in STEM and marketing.. Either there is a miracle drug for asperger syndrome or there is some heavy BS floating around.. Again, the same thing happened with introversion years ago...

Every person I've met off the net who was diagnosed were exceptionally social people with careers.. How are these people getting diagnosed with a supposedly socially crippling genetic trait while having massive social networks and making above national median income?

Old 03-09-2019, 08:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
I'm not making it up everything I've said can be confirmed with quick internet searches..

The two top asperger users on YouTube have careers in STEM and marketing.. Either there is a miracle drug for asperger syndrome or there is some heavy BS floating around.. Again, the same thing happened with introversion years ago...

Every person I've met off the net who was diagnosed were exceptionally social people with careers.. How are these people getting diagnosed with a supposedly socially crippling genetic trait while having massive social networks and making above national median income?
In response to the Original Post, it's probably been said before, that Asperger's isn't "fake" but rather, it's been reclassified.

And what in the world does the bolded even mean? Asperger's isn't necessarily a genetic trait, but rather, a behavioral one, an observable cluster of symptoms, and no one would be diagnosed with it if they were socially graceful and had no difficulties whatsoever connecting with people and reading social cues.

And yes, there is a strength set that comes along with Aspergers, and I mean that sincerely. STEM career giants are certainly likely to have Aspergers, as are sales people because they are unable to perceive their "targets" discomfort with the sale process and are thus undeterred from continuing to pressure the customer for the sale.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:02 PM

50,812 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep. Abolishing diagnostic criteria wholesale is a really great way to address mental illness, developmental disabilities, and neurological disorders. Really great.
I’ve eorked with these kids, and I have issues myself. ADD and I suspect other neuro issues. There are clusters of physical symptoms that I have, sensory regulation difficulties, decreased coordination between my brain and my muscles (ex: before you lift something, your eyes send image to your brain which judges how heavy it is, and tells your muscles how much force to use to lift it...so if you think it’s very heavy and it’s actually very light, you end up hitting yourself in the head cause you used too much force), clumsiness, poor spatial skills and orientation, left-right confusion, etc. I recognized myself in many of the kids I worked with, though most in them to a greater degree than mine, which are relatively mild compared to kids on the spectrum. Lack of language and delayed development of oral structures necessary for language are measureable, and also one of the diagnostic criteria seen most often.

When you get farther on the spectrum you see other physical symptoms in the diagnostic criteria that many with more profound autism share, such as toe-walking and self-stimming (flapping, etc)

Not all people with these type disorder has all of the symptoms, but many do share many of them, enough that these kids can be identified based on diagnostic criteria. They can’t yet take a CAT scan and see it, no, but there are many diseases, disorders and syndromes this is true for.

There is a ton of published research on this subject, in scientific and medical journals worldwide. It’s not some old wives tale.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-09-2019 at 10:11 PM..

Old 03-09-2019, 10:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’ve eorked with these kids, and I have issues myself. ADD and I suspect other neuro issues. There are clusters of physical symptoms that I have, sensory regulation difficulties, decreased coordination between my brain and my muscles (ex: before you lift something, your eyes send image to your brain which judges how heavy it is, and tells your muscles how much force to use to lift it...so if you think it’s very heavy and it’s actually very light, you end up hitting yourself in the head cause you used too much force), clumsiness, poor spatial skills and orientation, left-right confusion, etc. I recognized myself in many of the kids I worked with, though most in them to a greater degree than mine, which are relatively mild compared to kids on the spectrum. Lack of language and delayed development of oral structures necessary for language are measureable, and also one of the diagnostic criteria seen most often.

When you get farther on the spectrum you see other physical symptoms in the diagnostic criteria that many with more profound autism share, such as toe-walking and self-stimming (flapping, etc)

Not all people with these type disorder has all of the symptoms, but many do share many of them, enough that these kids can be identified based on diagnostic criteria. They can’t yet take a CAT scan and see it, no, but there are many diseases, disorders and syndromes this is true for.

There is a ton of published research on this subject, in scientific and medical journals worldwide. It’s not some old wives tale.
You get that this is my professional background as well, correct?

Preaching to the choir.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:11 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
I have no proof of this, but I'm going on forty and noticed about twenty years ago suddenly anyone who was in any way a misfit or quirky had Asperger syndrome..

I think Asperger syndrome is just a way to classify and segregate social misfits and quiet people. In the eighties and nineties these people were just rejects who had to work around social regulation.. Even now the SSA and none of the "protected group" acts going back to the first in 1964 acknowledges it.. It's basically just a social class at this point; unlike the rest of autism..

Again, no hard proof a syndrome isn't the reason for social rejection..
"I have no proof of this."

That says it all. Next!

Old 03-10-2019, 01:11 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You have it all figured out? Congratulations. A lot of assumptions. Consider that some people will use it as a convenient excuse for their behavior, or an excuse for dismissing a difficult person they'd rather not deal with. As someone with family members exhibiting these sorts of behaviors I have to say that understanding more about what might be going on in their heads has made everyone's life better, including theirs.
My ex-gf from a couple of years ago would tell me that I'm only autistic when it's convenient, and that I would act more so that way when it's convenient. I never brought up autism as a defense at all in conversation, so I never thought about it. Do you think she could have been right though, or why would she think that?

Old 03-10-2019, 01:18 AM

834 posts, read 1,017,081 times
Anyone who wants to see what I'm talking about just search "asperger" on YouTube.. None of the people even have the symptoms of Asperger..

This thread has basically turned in to a bunch of people with poor comprehension defending against imagined attacks on autism with typical americanized planned-community style PC virtue signaling..

Old 03-10-2019, 04:26 AM

171 posts, read 157,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Did someone just say they thought you had it, or were you actually assessed and diagnosed by a medical professional?
I don't remember exactly, since this happened some time in 2004.
I think I had a meeting with someone at the healthcare centre, but as far as I know they didn't formally write down anything about a syndrome anywhere.

But either way, the point is that I had never shown the slightest hint of any mental problems when I grew up - I fit in very well and had lots of friends, I used a lot of eye contact with people and I have never had any problems reading body language, and not even my parents ever implied that I would have any possible problems like that.
It wasn't until I started feeling depressed in high school and talked to a therapist that I had this syndrome presented to me - and that was during a period when I still felt bad because my parents had divorced and because I had not really found any new friends at my new school (it is pretty hard to make new friends when you are depressed), but several of my classmates did like me anyway so they would sometimes take the initiative.

I am also a bit of an introvert, so I don't like spending an extended amount of time with lots of people - and one of my best friends back in 2000 would always insist on staying at my place until evening, which was a bit annoying sometimes, since I felt that things slowly got boring after maybe 2-3 hours or so - but that has nothing to do with a psychological disorder.

Psychologists aren't always correct, and some people do get misdiagnosed.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:32 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Anyone who wants to see what I'm talking about just search "asperger" on YouTube.. None of the people even have the symptoms of Asperger..

This thread has basically turned in to a bunch of people with poor comprehension defending against imagined attacks on autism with typical americanized planned-community style PC virtue signaling..
What part of, Two YouTubers are not typical or a fair representation of millions of Americans with ASD, do you not understand. Look at yourself for poor comprehension skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology