Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times

Advertisements

"You just have to let that go."

This seems to be common enough advice. It usually comes from someone who is either concerned with the intensity of someone's complaints or concerns, or maybe sick of hearing them. I have a couple of methods for letting go in mind, but I'm curious what other people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
It's a personal issue, a way of dealing with the world.

I never letting hurtful things in, so to speak. I can acknowledge them but then let them flow over me and away.

Like this example of flexibility. Bend like the grasses in the wind...when the wind is gone, return to your normal state. You can bend as many times as necessary but always return to your center. Or commonly known as go with the flow...

And...most but not all things can be put into this category:

this too shall pass.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:06 AM

129 posts, read 69,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
"You just have to let that go."

This seems to be common enough advice. It usually comes from someone who is either concerned with the intensity of someone's complaints or concerns, or maybe sick of hearing them. I have a couple of methods for letting go in mind, but I'm curious what other people think.
It really depends on what it is. If it's a problem I try to figure out who's problem it is. Sometimes I take on stuff that isn't mine so I need to sort that out first. I also ask myself why it bothers me so much; what is this thing telling me about me? For example, a co-worker used to talk over me or cut me off all the time and it really bugged me. I was going to confront the person but decided to dig into my own reaction first. Underneath that frustration was hurt, I felt dismissed. Why does being dismissed hurt? Because of insecurity. I figured out that I needed to deal with my insecurity rather than expect others to accommodate it.

But like I said, it really depends on what it is you're trying to let go. Don't assume negative feelings and thoughts ought to be pushed away because they always tell you something you need to here.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:12 AM

129 posts, read 69,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It's a personal issue, a way of dealing with the world.

I never letting hurtful things in, so to speak. I can acknowledge them but then let them flow over me and away.

Like this example of flexibility. Bend like the grasses in the wind...when the wind is gone, return to your normal state. You can bend as many times as necessary but always return to your center. Or commonly known as go with the flow...

And...most but not all things can be put into this category:

this too shall pass.
Buddhist philosophy?

If only it was that simple.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
I do EFT techniques. So far so good! Google a basic routine on youtube.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:40 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue.red View Post
Buddhist philosophy?

If only it was that simple.

I do it! Practice.....

I'm older now, perhaps that's key.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:49 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
For me, it is a matter of suspending judgement. I have realized that I don’t have to react to everything, or have to make a judgement about someone else’s actions. I suspend. Until proven one way or another, I simply let it go.

At other times, if I am obsessing about something, I decide that it is time to let this thing go. I need to refocus, or think about sommething else. Letting “it” go functions like a release.

I think for me it is a decision I make. I started practicing this almost 30 years ago. I recognize my imperfect practice. I am still working on being better at it. But when I let go, I feel relieved.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:01 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,915,002 times
You don't "have" to let it go. But you do have to learn to live with it by putting it in a mental box and storing it in the attic of your mind. Over time you forget it's even there.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:29 AM

8,686 posts, read 3,879,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
You don't "have" to let it go. But you do have to learn to live with it by putting it in a mental box and storing it in the attic of your mind. Over time you forget it's even there.
If the goal is optimal mental health (which I assume it is for most people), it’s not prudent to ‘store’ things in a ‘mental box’ (never know when, or how, it may come out of its ‘box’). It’s best, in my opinion, to resolve it - and restore balance (and truly let go).

Old 03-16-2019, 11:48 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,256,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Like this example of flexibility. Bend like the grasses in the wind...when the wind is gone, return to your normal state.

Not exactly the same thing, but sorta reminds me of: "Everything breaks in the wake of the hurricane, except grass; there is strength in gentleness." Confucius? Hell no. Socrates? Hell no.

Vince Edwards in his role as Dr. "Ben Casey," a TV show in the early '60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology