Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2019, 09:53 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
This was post 67 which quoted an earlier thread, when the whole streetlight thing hit the fan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
NIMBY neighbor has never wanted a streetlight next to his house for 15+ years, while the majority of people on the street have wanted one for years. New HOA Board (which he doesn't know very well and no longer has influence over) votes unanimously to install a streetlight. NIMBY neighbor throws a loud and long temper tantrum at his neighbor and Board member who has wanted a streetlight for years saying he has lost all respect for him. If he acted that way at a Board meeting, his behavior would get him ejected by the management company.
Of course the claim that "the majority of people on the street have wanted one for years" flies in the face of the fact that no previous board saw fit to endorse such a proposal. It seems that only now that the politically driven, power seeking OP has begun to assemble a cabal of quid pro quo fans as allies has the board seen fit to install such a light.

I would note that at no time has anyone here demonstrated a need for the light or a rationale for its installation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 02:12 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,839 times
Nimby neighbor is complaining about the increase in rentals in neighborhood, however only 10 percent of units are rentals and there are minimum rental periods. He wants to restrict the number rentals, which legally cannot be done? Crazy!

Some people buy a condo specifically to rent out. Other than mentioning at an open Board meeting, how it would limit the pool of buyers and make it more difficult to sell, would it be too caustic to ask why do you propose to discriminate against rental owners? How do you politely communicate to someone that a neighborhood might not be the best fit for you?

Old 11-19-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Nimby neighbor is complaining about the increase in rentals in neighborhood, however only 10 percent of units are rentals and there are minimum rental periods. He wants to restrict the number rentals, which legally cannot be done? Crazy!

Some people buy a condo specifically to rent out. Other than mentioning at an open Board meeting, how it would limit the pool of buyers and make it more difficult to sell, would it be too caustic to ask why do you propose to discriminate against rental owners? How do you politely communicate to someone that a neighborhood might not be the best fit for you?
You don't.

You mind your own business.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:21 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
How do you politely communicate to someone that a neighborhood might not be the best fit for you?
Not your place to decide that.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:01 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
Quote:

Many mortgage underwriters look at the rental vs owner/occupied ratio in a condo development. Having too many rentals can limit a buyer’s financing options. It behooves the condo community to ensure that condos can be sold quickly so good favorable financing is key.

Mortgage companies also look at factors like how much money the HOA has in reserves and whether the HOA is in litigation.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Many mortgage underwriters look at the rental vs owner/occupied ratio in a condo development. Having too many rentals can limit a buyer’s financing options. It behooves the condo community to ensure that condos can be sold quickly so good favorable financing is key.

Mortgage companies also look at factors like how much money the HOA has in reserves and whether the HOA is in litigation.
It behooves the condo community to operate in accordance with its constitution or other ruling document. Rental limitations are not something that should be changeable at the whim of a few board members.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:56 AM

337 posts, read 448,978 times
Probably not the right answer....but once he laid his grubby paws on my collar with his barking nonsense, I'd of threw a haymaker cannon ball right hand right square in his snoz. If that didn't leave him horizontal, I'd a did a "Muhammad Ali Shuffle" and poked him right in the gizzard and hope it kept him from swallowering his prune juice later that night. But that's just me....

Old 11-19-2019, 06:34 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,483 times
Quote:
I am not suggesting sending out a letter about someone who isn't a candidate. I specifically stated if this person runs for the Board, I would do it.
What are the odds that this guy would actually run for a board member position? I've lived in my HOA neighborhood for 12 years and the same 5 people have been here in the board, apparently since this complex was first built here in 1980, and only 1-2 positions ever get a different person elected. Why? Because nobody wants to be on the HOA! It's a thankless job which nobody wants to do except people who are really bored and have nothing else in their lives.

How old is your kid, anyway? A letter from a kid about their dad's fight with a neighbor most likely wouldn't carry much weight. If your kid is an adult then it would carry even less weight. I say drop it and just avoid that neighbor because it's not worth ruminating about it.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:42 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Other threads started by the OP suggest more probably went on here or there's a backstory. The OP also proposed approaching potential home buyers (ie total strangers touring a house) to warn them about a property owner's leaf blower activities. Somehow I doubt this escalated into an assault for no reason. Extreme reactions usually involve a catalyst.
Sounds like a busy body of the highest order. Some people have too much time and too little sense of what’s their business and what’s not.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:11 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
First mistake was not calling 911. So what if the Board President didn't want to escalate? He/she is saying that in the Board's interest, not yours. If someone puts their hands on me, I'm going to see that they make a trip to jail. Period. If I were you I'd be pressing charges. There's absolutely no excuse for that kind of barbaric behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology