Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 05:52 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,858,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you pick trailer trash Barbie, you’re not likely to have a very good outcome.
Sound advice, to be sure - lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 07:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
My neighbors are a good example. They both work. She was constantly asking him to help more. He would when she asked, but she shouldn't have to ask him when he's staring right at a sink full of dishes. They had a cleaning person come in every couple of weeks, but they weren't there every day to do the daily tasks. One particular source of contention was laundry. He always pulled the, "Well, I mow the lawn all the time (once every 2 weeks)." So he thought he shouldn't have to do laundry, which is a heck of a lot more than every 2 weeks. She suggested hiring someone to mow the lawn. Got quotes and it was $150 a month. He thought that was ridiculous because he could just do it himself. He suggested using a laundry service. That was $600 a month, which he was totally fine with. It made no sense. Anyway, they are divorced now. She moved out and he is still distraught over it. He still doesn't understand why she left, because "he's a nice guy" (which he is), and he helped out around the house (not nearly as much as he thought he did).
Women discount the work men do around the house. Doing a load of laundry takes maybe 5 minutes, with another 10 to fold it and put it away. Mowing the lawn takes maybe an hour, with extra trips to buy gasoline and maintain the mower. I do the dishes, and accomplish the whole task while microwaving a bowl of soup for 3 minutes. The real household chore is mopping the floors, which I do because I'm stronger, faster, and do a better job.

My wife is not a great housekeeper. If I waited for her to get down on her hands and knees to scrub the baseboards, it would never happen. I shampoo the carpets, change furnace filters, and do the majority of the cooking. It doesn't upset me, and I don't think any less of my wife for it. She doesn't pressure wash the driveway or clean the gutters either. I also do windows. Left to her own devices, she would never do an oil change, check tire pressure, or wash her car. Mostly she has no idea what I do around the house. I also balance the books and reconcile the budget. It took me years to convince her that credit card bills did not get magically paid without costing her anything.

It's all a part of living. If you want to sip wine and eat bon bons, run the washer while you are at it.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:47 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
Wow lucky you. I don't know of one happy marriage
Pretty much anyone capable of a long term relationship has one. If everyone around you is unhappy, the problem is not the marriage, it's one or both of the people.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:52 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I saw a few people saying that no men would want this type of "strong, independent" woman.

This is complete BS. I'm sure that a lot of "men's rights," "meninism," and "incel"-type groups would like to believe that it's possible to boycott certain types of women, but unfortunately for those guys, that's just not how biology works. Wherever there are women, there will be men to chase after them, regardless of their views.

But even without this biology argument, I'll say that there are plenty of men (particularly, liberal men from big liberal cities, who believe in causes like feminism, abortion, women's rights and liberation, etc) who would significantly prefer an ambitious career woman than a complacent one. Not for the reasons mentioned in the article, however.
It's never a binary choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology