Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 09:41 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As a guy, I wonder why women wear bikinis.

1. Women feel violated if guys see them in their underwear--until it's at the beach, and they're wearing waterproof underwear.
2. Do women wear bikinis to feel sexy and show off in front of guys?
3. Wouldn't women think that bikinis are overly sexualized?
4. At my university's gym pool, even many female lap swimmers would wear bikinis, along with swim caps and goggles. It looked funny and out of place. Women, how can you do any serious swimming in a bikini?
5. A decade ago when I was a boy, I took swim lessons with a couple other kids. One of the girls was 8 or 9 years old and had 4 or 5 bikinis she rotated between. One of her swimsuits was a thong bikini with an attached miniskirt. She would dive head first into the pool, and her miniskirt would blow up, revealing her bare buttocks. Isn't that awfully risque for such a young girl?
6. Why do women's swimsuits show off the leg more than guys' swimsuits? Even one pieces leave the leg completely exposed. Guys' have their thighs covered (unless it's Europe and they're wearing speedos).
7. Also at my university, girls would sunbathe on the lawn in front of the dorms in their bikinis...once again, isn't that a bit too much?

Considering your other posts about women ... .

Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I was on a cruise last month and there was a woman in a thong bikini with HUGE, cellulite-dimpled butt cheeks hanging out. Why would anyone do that? I am much smaller than that woman was, and I would never wear a thong bikini.
For guys like me?

Old 02-25-2020, 10:21 AM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Because they can!

Old 02-25-2020, 10:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
4 pages not one straight answer
It’s rare but there are honest answers shared from time to time
You won’t find them here
You would not like it if they did

Old 02-25-2020, 10:34 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I would like to approach this from the opposite perspective. Women, and girls, are expected by society to wear extremely revealing clothing in public to swim in while men's socially accepted bathing attire is modest.

I remember a middle school end of the year pool party at our local middle school. The boys were in surf short bathing suits (loose, long shorts) and most wore tank tops. The girls were in "modest" girls swim suits as required for the party, but they were still skin tight, form fitting, riding up in the bottom area. While the boys were jumping around having a great time, the girls, by and large, were tugging at the borders of their swim suits to make them cover more, and were standing with their hands covering their chest or belly area. Anytime the girls would exit the water they had to adjust their swim suits to cover themselves.

you say tomato, I say tomahto
I wouldn't say that society expects girls to wear extremely revealing clothing in public for swimming. The fashion industry has been pushing the same type of revealing wear popular with women for little girls for a long time. I don't think it always used to be that way; there was separate swimsuit fashion for children (pre-teen girls, as in the case of a 9-year-old mentioned by the OP), that was not sexualized. I don't think bathing fashion is driven by society's expectations, but that would make an interesting thread topic for discussion.

There are now swim shorts for women that can be worn with a tankini top or with a "rash guard" top that covers the arms. There's all manner of swimwear now; lots of choice for more modest girls and women. If girls and young women don't like the super high-cut swimsuits, they do have a lot of choice, nowadays.

OP, men's bathing "suits" didn't used to be of the surfer shorts type. Men's swim briefs when through a phase over years of getting briefer an briefer, to the point that Speedos were not only popular with some men, but even were required for swim class at schools. This trend changed radically at some point, I'm not sure when, when suddenly, Speedos became associated with gay men, so apparently, hetero guys decided they wanted anything but a Speedo. Also, more modest guys didn't like being required to wear Speedos at school.

So now swim fashion has arrived at a point where men's swimwear is super modest, almost 19th-Century, while women's is turning into nothing but 3 patches of cloth connected by string. It could be worse; in some parts of Europe, nude beaches have been "normal" for generations. Women sunbathing topless in parks in some European countries is also "normal" and is not sexualized. I don't have an answer to your questions, only a few facts to fill out the picture.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:34 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As a guy, I wonder why women wear bikinis.

1. Women feel violated if guys see them in their underwear--until it's at the beach, and they're wearing waterproof underwear.
2. Do women wear bikinis to feel sexy and show off in front of guys?
3. Wouldn't women think that bikinis are overly sexualized?
4. At my university's gym pool, even many female lap swimmers would wear bikinis, along with swim caps and goggles. It looked funny and out of place. Women, how can you do any serious swimming in a bikini?
5. A decade ago when I was a boy, I took swim lessons with a couple other kids. One of the girls was 8 or 9 years old and had 4 or 5 bikinis she rotated between. One of her swimsuits was a thong bikini with an attached miniskirt. She would dive head first into the pool, and her miniskirt would blow up, revealing her bare buttocks. Isn't that awfully risque for such a young girl?
6. Why do women's swimsuits show off the leg more than guys' swimsuits? Even one pieces leave the leg completely exposed. Guys' have their thighs covered (unless it's Europe and they're wearing speedos).
7. Also at my university, girls would sunbathe on the lawn in front of the dorms in their bikinis...once again, isn't that a bit too much?
Moslem women go into the water completely cover. They may as well wear the wetsuit with the hoody over their heads.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:41 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
I remember hearing that sun lotion is damaging the ocean environment. Waikiki Beach I believe is a good example.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rch-oxybenzone

If everyone either wearing wetsuit, or shorts, and surfing shirt, then less sun block being used.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:58 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
4 pages not one straight answer
It’s rare but there are honest answers shared from time to time
You won’t find them here
You would not like it if they did

What's not honest about us wanting to look & feel good in a bikini? It's fashion!

Old 02-25-2020, 11:15 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The hairy dude with the beer gut is enjoying a nice day in the sun, so should everyone else.
I'm a non-hairy dude with a beer gut and I'm actually very insecure when swimming. I wish there were good one-piece options for men.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:31 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It depends upon your body. I’m embarrassed for women who are too fat for a two piece bathing suit, but are too clueless to realize it. Bikinis look fine on young thin bodies, but if you have rolls of flab, please don’t make me look at it.
Eh, you're already going to be judging them for being fat and for daring to go out in a swimsuit. Pretending like you wouldn't judge them for wearing a one piece is likely dishonest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology