Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 08:37 AM

250 posts, read 182,097 times

Advertisements

It's "It happens to other people, not to me" syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 08:42 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
The whole point of this IS to slow it down. It's hardly to reduce deaths. You can let it run its course - sure - but we're not emotionally equipped here for mass burnings of bodies.

Regarding South Korea:
1. Effectively an island - no land borders to deal with at any point in this struggle.
2. They are tracking the infected by credit cards and cell phones.
3. Anyone violating the quarantine faces a year in prison or a huge fine.
4. Almost all the cases were traced directly - or indirectly - to religious groups. All other South Koreans "listened."

5. They stopped "short-selling" on their stock market for the next six months.

None of those things would fly here. I get that they're successful - but I am certain about half the country here would rather get sick and die than be tracked by cell phone or credit card and then BE ARRESTED WHEN OUTSIDE.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:04 AM

492 posts, read 234,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
The whole point of this IS to slow it down. It's hardly to reduce deaths. You can let it run its course - sure - but we're not emotionally equipped here for mass burnings of bodies.

Regarding South Korea:
1. Effectively an island - no land borders to deal with at any point in this struggle.
2. They are tracking the infected by credit cards and cell phones.
3. Anyone violating the quarantine faces a year in prison or a huge fine.
4. Almost all the cases were traced directly - or indirectly - to religious groups. All other South Koreans "listened."

5. They stopped "short-selling" on their stock market for the next six months.

None of those things would fly here. I get that they're successful - but I am certain about half the country here would rather get sick and die than be tracked by cell phone or credit card and then BE ARRESTED WHEN OUTSIDE.
Move there then if you don't like it here. Healthy folks should be allowed to carry on as usual. It's the obese unhealthy folks most at risk. They should stay home for at least 6 months or so. Do you really think that this will be contained in 1 month. Death is inevitable for some. No athletes have died from this plague. It is mainly obese unhealthy folks which sadly is half the USA population.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:26 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
Move there then if you don't like it here. Healthy folks should be allowed to carry on as usual. It's the obese unhealthy folks most at risk. They should stay home for at least 6 months or so. Do you really think that this will be contained in 1 month. Death is inevitable for some. No athletes have died from this plague. It is mainly obese unhealthy folks which sadly is half the USA population.
Citation, or I'm calling BS on this.

All of the expert reports that I have read, state that the old and those with certain preexisting conditions (not hurr durr ur fat but like asthma and many diseases such as MS and others that can affect the immune system) are most at risk of death.

But here's the rub. What that means is that if an 85 year old with asthma is hospitalized with CV19, even with the best treatment the hospital can give them, they probably die. If an "athlete"...one of your fit specimens, is unlucky enough to get severe symptoms, which can happen to pretty much any adult, it really is NOT something that can be predicted... That individual will require intervention at a hospital to recover and live.

And if the hospital is overwhelmed, and they don't get the treatment they need, they die, too.

This is not something that cares if you are righteous in your lifestyle, this virus. Anyone sitting back like "well maybe some people deserve to die, and it shouldn't matter that much," is wallowing in delusional just world fallacy garbage talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Some cities aren’t using common sense. A person fishing alone in a boat or with a partner in the same boat aren’t putting others at risk. A person hiking a trail in the woods is t putting others at risk. A person paddle boarding in the ocean isn’t putting others at risk.
The problem they had here in Colorado Springs, is that on a nice day, everybody imagines the trails as being quiet and secluded places where there won't be lots of people. But everyone is having the same idea, so the trails wind up crowded. Since a lot of our parkland trails have many bottlenecks with rocks, cliffs, crude stairs and narrow points where you can't go off-trail to avoid being too close to others, and since so many people were there, it actually did end up being a problem for social distancing.

I think that a lot of my friends started getting smart and going for scenic drives instead. Makes sense, with gas so cheap. I agree about boats, it would be a great time for a fishing trip!

Old 04-03-2020, 10:00 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think that a lot of my friends started getting smart and going for scenic drives instead. Makes sense, with gas so cheap. I agree about boats, it would be a great time for a fishing trip!
I have noticed on the way to work no traffic on the streets but then on radio traffic reports during day I am hearing slow downs here and there due to accidents. And we have had Highway Patrol officers on TV telling folks to keep the speed down and don't force them to break social distance to cite you.

So I guess some with cash coming in are enjoying the joy riding that pretty much ended by the 70s oil embargoes and the 80s population explosion.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:03 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Entitlement

Lack of Empathy

Control

Resist Authority

Being Human

Old 04-03-2020, 11:32 AM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Some cities aren’t using common sense. A person fishing alone in a boat or with a partner in the same boat aren’t putting others at risk. A person hiking a trail in the woods is t putting others at risk. A person paddle boarding in the ocean isn’t putting others at risk.
I understand what you're saying. However, there are far too many that are abusing this. They still hang out in large groups and don't keep their distance from others.

Last week, I believe it was, I saw a photo of a crowd of people hanging out in a park in Brooklyn. In the crowd was a women with a toddler in a stroller. She made no effort to distance herself. Of all of those in the crowd, her actions horrified me the most. She was deliberately putting not only herself at risk but her child, too! Kids have been coming down with this virus.

These days, in many places, you try to take a walk alone and you can't be 100% sure that others won't show up and crowd your space.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I think that's irresponsible. Unless every, single one of you has not been exposed to anyone or anything since February, you are increasing the risk. Has any of that group gone to the grocery store? Had food delivered? Gone to the pharmacy? Then they've been exposed to a lot more people than just your "small group." and instead of just exposing themselves to their immediate family / household, they are now exposing themselves to even more people. So if someone were to get it, they would potentially infect twice as many people. You will survive without pool parties. Seriously.
Exactly, notice the OP hasn't come back to the thread.

No wonder Floriduh is doing their best to help keep this spreading. They still have some beaches open.

They let all those spring breakers just run amok.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:15 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

Entitlement

Lack of Empathy

Control

Resist Authority

Being Human
also:

lack of intellect

lack of knowledge

cut off from TV, news, print, online media and information

low information people

inability to understand and interpret data

lack of critical thinking skills

self-centered

misguided ideas about government control

some who are young showing lack of good decision-making, and youthful disregard, and not realizing risk

rebelliousness

cannot conceive of cancelling plans

fear of loneliness or isolation

those who downplay severity of illness and downplay needing to be on a ventilator

Last edited by matisse12; 04-03-2020 at 04:27 PM..

Old 04-03-2020, 04:34 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The same reason some people park in "No Parking" areas. For some people, unless there is a physical barrier or an authority standing right there telling them not to, they are going to act as if the rules don't apply to them.
Exactly. If no one's stopping them, they'll do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology