Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 09:22 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

I don't think most of the people who wind up on Karen videos have given any thought to being showcased on social media. Many in fact seem quite distressed when they suddenly realize that someone IS taking a video of the incident.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 09:48 AM

9,291 posts, read 14,908,083 times
I believe women have always been seen in our culture as being a civilizing influence.

They often take the moral high ground.

However, misogyny has caused women to be looked down and overly criticized as compared to men, and I think this is what is happening with this populist Karen characterization.

Let's try to see people as individuals- good and bad in every race, creed, sex, etc

Old 08-22-2020, 10:04 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
So, I have a theory about Karens. I just finished reading about a Karen who took extreme umbrage at a black guy riding a bicycle on city property. The city is Winnetka, IL. She became so irate the police were called and she was ultimately charged with battery, because she slapped either the guy she was harassing, or another person.

Surely these harassing white women know they will be filmed? Surely they know people will ridicule them when they watch them as they lose their minds over basically nothing? Surly they know their actions show themselves to be racists? Why then do they, time and again, become a meme? I think they want the identification as racist. I think they like knowing their faces and angry voices are forever preserved. I can’t imagine why they allow themselves to lose control if they don’t.

Am I wrong? What do you think is going through the minds of these angry white women who are losing their minds over things that are simply not their business? Is their “privilege” so fragile they feel they must defend it all costs?

The only thing I can come up with, is they secretly like the attention.

Am I off base?
As someone who works in customer service, I’d say that the origin of a Karen is a woman, who most likely due to racial origin was put into a position of privilege and has received a pattern of preferential treatment for so long, when others provide equal and not preferential treatment, it is not regular to her so she feels outraged to the point that she still wants to believe she is above others. The level of rage then delves into poor impulse control.

And for white women who complain about being called Karens, you get no sympathy from me. Signed a black male who has gotten the “thug” moniker more times than he’d like to admit.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:52 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No, I can easily picture women in Asia or Latin America doing this same exact thing. It's a human thing, not a national thing.
i can’t, no. also if there were such incidents we would be seeing them as well

Old 08-22-2020, 11:56 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
"Karens" have no race or gender. They come in all colors, sizes, ages, and sexes. I don't think it's about wanting attention or wanting someone to listen to them or "validate" their feelings. Rather I think for most it's about control. And their own self righteousness.

Heck, you see them everyday among kids. Go to any playground and watch. After a while you'll see which kids are the "bossy." Ones. Look in the schools for which kids want to be the ones to "take names" and tattle on the other kids over trivial things. When those bossy kids and tattletales grow up, they grow up to be Karens, live in HOAs, and get on the HOA board to go around measuring mailboxes.

"You're breaking the rules and I'm going to tell on you!" is the Karen psychology.
I agree its mostly about control. Also, perfectionism and their belief that their way is the right way to do everything or that rules of civilized society dont apply to them.

In my experience, they tend to be very bossy so lots of people give into them or give them what they want. When they come up against someone who doesnt they lose it.

They dont have the skills to negotiate civilly for what they want so they flip out, possibly thinking that being even more outrageous and difficult will get them what they want.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:00 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I agree its mostly about control. Also, perfectionism and their belief that their way is the right way to do everything or that rules of civilized society dont apply to them.

In my experience, they tend to be very bossy so lots of people give into them or give them what they want. When they come up against someone who doesnt they lose it.

They dont have the skills to negotiate civilly for what they want so they flip out, possibly thinking that being even more outrageous and difficult will get them what they want.
Intimidation DOES seem to be word of the day for them when they start their tirades.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, my thoughts were going in a different direction. Interesting how people are saying there's a crazy white woman problem over women getting loud and angry, while they seem to take the white guys in stride, who shoot people dead for jogging-while-Black, or walking-through-the-neighorhood-to-the-store while Black. Would it help, if the screaming women carried guns and used them? Would everyone calm down and view them as normal, then?
Well, the fact that white women are not reacting with anger towards white shooters in schools and other public places is kind of the point. Of course, the random black person or other person of color seems like an obvious target, but white guys with murder in their hearts do not do so. Which of course indicates their racism. The black person is the target because he is black.

In the case of refusing to mask up, I think it is a political act. What surprises me is the occasional vehemence of the refusal

Old 08-22-2020, 12:15 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I haven’t seen any proof to back up that claim And is an attempt to distract from the fact that this is an issue of people with entitlement issues against people of colour or having to wear a mask.
Or any other reason that they feel infringes on their "rights". Their right to a particular parking space, their right to a refund in a store, their right to tell others how to behave in public, etc. Some are clearly doing it for racist reasons, others just because they've been taught that if they don't get what they want, when they want it, to yell louder, and demand "to speak to the manager" until they get their way. I've worked retail, and phone customer service in the past and dealt with "Karens" for years, no make that decades! I used to love it when they screamed to speak to the manager, and I could smile and tell them that they ARE speaking to the manager.

It's really all about rage. Think about road rage...the guy that chases someone down and SHOOTS them, or causes a crash, just because someone accidentally cut him off, or passed him. Neighbor rage... like that guy that tackled Rand Paul while he was mowing his yard and broke his ribs. Ex rage...where an ex is dating someone new and the jilted person takes a bat, or a key, to their car.

Certain groups are fueling rage in this country ON PURPOSE. They want to start something. They are looking to make someone hit them, so they can say "SEE, they're out of control!". There are evil people in high places looking to prey on those who feel like victims, and push them to do the dirty work of starting something they can build on to bring down our country.

Last edited by TheShadow; 08-22-2020 at 12:32 PM..

Old 08-22-2020, 12:31 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Look up Ones (1) and Eights (8) on the Enneagram (Enneagram Institute).

Old 08-22-2020, 01:05 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Exactly.
Your right, and I believe they are unable to control themselves.....border line mentally ill, not all of them, but a lot of them....they hate it when someone tells them, "wear a mask", or you can't do that...they feel they are above the laws or rules of restaurants, etc....

I've seen women literally lose it, b/c they're in a McDonalds and they cannot get what they want.
or if someone else has a different opinion, they feel they are above any rules or laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology