Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 03:24 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,125,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
In society, people just like it when women have a pleasant facial expression because out of the two genders, women are the pretty ones. People don't care as much about men. It's like how women are the ones that wear brighter-colored clothing. Men are expected to wear darker clothing.

It's just unfortunate & I know it's just your genetics/the way you look that you guys all have that RBF (resting b---- face). I'm so glad I don't have that!

This reminds me, there's a YouTuber I watch that has a RBF & she never really smiles. She's aware that she has a RBF, but that doesn't seem to make her want to smile more. A nice, genuine smile truly, truly does make ALL the difference, so I'd suggest to anyone out there w/ a RBF to work harder at smiling more. You'll see a HUGE difference in how people perceive & treat you. If I had a RBF, I'd do all I could to change it & make myself appear more friendly, kind, etc.

And since we're on this topic, I personally hate when people smile without showing their teeth. Just sitting alone at home, I tried to make my mouth bend to smile w/o showing teeth & not only do I think it looks bad when I look in the mirror, but it even feels incredibly odd to smile that way. It appears fake & even like...how shall I explain it...like even cartoonish kind of, like you're not being sincere.
You are my favorite poster lately besides Shelato and Birdie.

So I agree to almost everything except that last part. for me it takes a lot of effort to smile because I naturally have a BRF, too. Now, smiling AND showing my teeth is even double the effort. I think it depends on the person with the teeth or no teeth smiling. I do try to remind myself often though to smile more and it is true - people treat you better and are more likely to smile back.

I get told to smile every now and then and I don't mind. Because sometimes I have my head up by a$$, I am in so deep thoughts in public that apparently, I look very unhappy. No need to be like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 03:31 PM

725 posts, read 438,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's supposed to be a spontaneous reaction, not a performed task. There are more considerate ways to improve someone's mood than just suggesting they smile.
Ok, then please tell me some more considerate ways to improve a stranger's mood.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:36 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,091,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
This reminds me, there's a YouTuber I watch that has a RBF & she never really smiles. She's aware that she has a RBF, but that doesn't seem to make her want to smile more. A nice, genuine smile truly, truly does make ALL the difference, so I'd suggest to anyone out there w/ a RBF to work harder at smiling more. You'll see a HUGE difference in how people perceive & treat you. If I had a RBF, I'd do all I could to change it & make myself appear more friendly, kind, etc.
You would. That's great. Not everyone has your priorities. I usually judge a person's kindness or friendliness by their actions, not by what their face looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
what if it's something that helps a person in need? what if someone wants to hear it because someone shows they care? is it inappropriate even if the person feels better and smiles?
If you think someone looks unhappy, the "caring" thing to do is ask what's wrong and how you can help, not tell them to smile without having any idea what's going on with them.

Or, even better-- do as my former coworker did and *make* them smile. He'd always do something funny or stupid because he knew it would make me laugh. Never did the words "you should smile!" leave his lips. If you decide you just HAVE to dictate someone's facial expression, at least give them a reason want to smile instead of just ordering them to.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
If you decide you just HAVE to dictate someone's facial expression, at least give them a reason want to smile instead of just ordering them to.
You know what I don't get? The jump from suggesting a person smiles and having to DICTATE someone's expression.

I just don't agree that people are that egoistic.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:02 PM

11,845 posts, read 12,127,473 times
Quote:
Ok, then please tell me some more considerate ways to improve a stranger's mood.
Why do you think strangers need to improve their mood?

Old 09-04-2020, 04:25 PM

1,579 posts, read 967,801 times
I smile a lot. I just tend to be a happy person and it shows on my face. People even comment on it, but not to tell me to smile more. I joke that it's my default setting.

That said, you don't need to tell anyone to smile. If you are a happy person and smile, most people smile back. Take it from an expert on this. It has to be a real smile, from the heart, not some practiced fake smile. Most people can tell a real smile from a fake one. If you actually have to "tell" people to smile then you, yourself most likely are not smiling. So practice what you preach and work on your own happiness first.

Also, be careful. Sometimes people have very good reasons for not smiling back. Like other's said, you don't know what's going on in their lives (death of a loved one, lost a job, bad diagnosis from the doctor, sick child, the person could be in physical pain or feeling sick, etc). People have a range of emotions and, unless you know the person well enough to ask them what's wrong and willing to discuss it with them, it's bad manners to insist that they look happy just because that's what you want. They have a right to feel the way they want.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
I don't think they need to. I think they would probably want to. I think a person prefers to be happy instead of sad, angry, frustrated. I know I do.

And if someone tells me to smile and I'm not in the mood, I will just say "sorry, not in the mood.",
I won't tell him "why do you think you can order me around?"

Anyway I guess that's just something I would do, and that's what makes people different.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:46 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,125,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Quote:
I don't think they need to. I think they would probably want to. I think a person prefers to be happy instead of sad, angry, frustrated. I know I do.

And if someone tells me to smile and I'm not in the mood, I will just say "sorry, not in the mood.",

Anyway I guess that's just something I would do, and that's what makes people different.
LOL about Katnan's comment.

However, I prefer if people tell me to smile. Otherwise I would never know I have a BRF. My friends never say it though, it is usually strangers or coworkers. Apparently, I look especially p..ed off behind a computer screen. I put a smiley sticker on it but it doesn't always help. I am smiley around my friends because we usually interact.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:00 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,310,957 times
Quote:

That's presumptuous. You DON'T know that anyone wants you doing this. What works for you, obviously, won't work for everyone. There have been actual studies that show that telling people to smile can backfire and cause them to respond with annoyance or sarcasm.

Quote:

Lots of other people wouldn't say that either. They would just comply so you'll stop, and then start to cringe when they see you coming, knowing they'd better smile or else...

It's not your job to "improve anyone's mood."

If you want to be a caring coworker, do that ... by ASKING them, without any insinuations, how their day is going.
ASK if you can help them with anything.
Offer them a treat you know they like.
See if they want to take a walk during your next break.

Just stop making assumptions. As you've seen throughout the thread, they may not even be upset. It might just be the way their face looks. And you can either continue to ignore that obvious fact or you can consider that you're doing this wrong.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:06 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,712,724 times
I get that all the time but it’s usually when someone is standing on my lawn that shouldnt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology