Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 09:31 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
When the subject is broached regarding topics which are things somebody your age should have accomplished by now, is it wrong to deceive people who do not know your past into believing that you haven't missed some major developmental milestones? Is it a waste of time to try to play the catch up game? Or unscrupulous to lie about your age (ha wouldn't this one would be exciting)?
That word "should" can get us all in trouble with guilt or shame. Why is somebody else allowed to decide what you "should" have accomplished?
Lives are so varied, experiences, that's why we end up with so many different opinions on the same topic in this world. What I'm saying is, don't worry about what somebody else thinks you "should" have accomplished, give yourself some room to grow naturally. You don't have to live at somebody else's pace, and there can be great advantages to not being the first horse out of the gate, maybe you lag behind in the beginning but win the race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 10:01 AM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Watch the movie Pleasantville. Here's the second-to-last scene, which will not spoil the movie, but which sums it all up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grhVD6aYej0

Old 10-13-2020, 10:54 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

You don't even need to engage in conversation. You have the freedom to not comment or say anything. Then you have no need to decide whether to tell the truth or something else. People are endlessly nosey and petty. Some love to toy with belittle others, if you let them. Be in charge, and shut it down.
This is great advice, OP. You can take charge of the conversation, instead of passively following along. You can say, "I march to the beat of my own drummer, and do things by my own unique timeline", then turn the attention to them, and ask, "how about you" or "How about your kids"? People love to talk about themselves, or about anything that reflects well on them, so you may be surprised as to how easy it is to distract them. If they (rudely) persist in their line of questioning you, just say "I'm a work-in-progress" and change the subject again, or decide you need to leave for an appointment or meeting.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:56 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,349,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
When the subject is broached regarding topics which are things somebody your age should have accomplished by now, is it wrong to deceive people who do not know your past into believing that you haven't missed some major developmental milestones? Is it a waste of time to try to play the catch up game? Or unscrupulous to lie about your age (ha wouldn't this one would be exciting)?
Most everyone seems to be answering the first part of your OP. And the advice is good. Have an answer ready, or change the subject, or exit the conversation. All good ideas.

As for catching up, I don't think it's wise to try. That leads to putting pressure on yourself and possibly doing things not because you genuinely want to, but because you think doing them will make you a more complete person. Especially if some of the milestones are social, and I suspect some are, because then you're involving someone else in your effort to catch up.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:45 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
I'm unconcerned about what other people are doing or think I should do, I only care about what I want to do.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:29 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Sounds like high school trig test results to me.

"What did you get?"

"Here's what I got."

Competition, even in Trig....

Old 10-13-2020, 05:05 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I'm unconcerned about what other people are doing or think I should do, I only care about what I want to do.
That's because you know what's best for you, Other people don't. .They're mostly just thinking in stereotypes.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:09 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
Rather than lying, just don't answer.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:33 AM

589 posts, read 322,846 times
It is hard to answer without knowing your age and the milestones you speak of. If you are youngish, you are still at the stage of caring how you are judged. When you hit 40, something happens where that noise calms down and becomes quieter than your own voice. That is maturity to me, when you only need to impress yourself. If you let yourself down in your eyes, that always should matter more than what someone else says about you. I am talking about your authentic self that knows what you truly need. It is good to push yourself, but they should be your goals. So many people lie about age. I dont think others should be that curious about it. But, most people can tell.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:33 PM

9,138 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Don't confuse milestones with millstones. Being tied to specific activities by a certain time can inhibit and stunt growth. True growth and maturity comes from meeting and overcoming daily challenges, regardless of when they occur.

Should Mark Zuckerberg have stayed at Harvard to get his degree, as was expected, or should he have followed his path to Facebook?

Other people's milestones are just that: milestones for other people. Judging yourself based on other people's standards is not helpful and doesn't provide useful feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology