Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 11:08 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times

Advertisements

https://www.city-data.com/forum/psyc...-disorder.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 11:57 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Often a political rant (like religious or UFO obsession rants) indicate mental illness of some sort. I've seen Bipolars & Schizophrenics get diagnosed when ranting, as it presents as gross exhibits of aberrant psychiatric behavior, fixations or OCD. I'm not a shrink but when I see all-consuming political/rants conversations, I often take step back & eval & consider the source -- aka the person leading the charge, so to speak.
Absolutely. I have a friend diagnosed decades ago as bipolar / schizophrenic, and who all could see had issues with reality, and believing all sorts of fantasies and conspiracies. He once took medicine for it, and was a calm, pleasant guy. But he eventually stopped taking the medicine. And guess who (of all the people I see in life and in the media) shows the most extreme political ranting and delusion? Yep, it's him.

We need to start paying more attention to what's behind all of that, instead of just saying "Oh, that's just their views. There's no need to look any further". That naivety and willful blindness leads to us lowering our guard and awareness, and increases the chances for abuses and violence that could have been stopped or reduced.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:12 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Great point. But the question is what clan do, for example, I fit into; an extreme left-winger, an AntiFa activist, who voted for Trump?
It's a good question. I don't want any parts of any of it. No matter the stated ideology, politics is a corrupt nightmare. I wish more people would understand that politics/political ideology is just not something you should base your identity on.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:32 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
There is no actual "need" to discuss it. It's just a desire on the part of some, or many.

A need is something required, and something that can lead to usefulness. Discussing politics fails in those areas.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:13 AM

35,074 posts, read 17,024,527 times
^^^^

There are a limited number of topics that people who don't know each other extremely well can discuss. Deep discussions into personal lives are best confined to family or close friends. Religion is in a similar place with politics. Many people don't know enough about fashion and sports to discuss those intelligently. My grandmother used to say that "talking about the weather" was "talking about nothing."

So seriously what is left.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:19 AM

6,304 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
^^^^

There are a limited number of topics that people who don't know each other extremely well can discuss. Deep discussions into personal lives are best confined to family or close friends. Religion is in a similar place with politics. Many people don't know enough about fashion and sports to discuss those intelligently. My grandmother used to say that "talking about the weather" was "talking about nothing."

So seriously what is left.

There are lots of things left but the key is wanting to enjoy learning and communicating with a person vs it being a competition on ones superiority on a given subject and/or a need to be entertained. The big key for me knowing when I’m talking to someone and there is absolutely no reciprocity that I should not invest anymore time on said person.

I once had a neighbour complain about everyone that came to the monthly neighbour coffee Morning that everyone is boring. The problem was she never asked others about anything ,how they were, what they did, nothing. She thought I was great because I asked her questions and explored subjects she was interested in but in the end I avoided her because she had no interest in anything beyond her own interests.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:13 PM

35,074 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I once had a neighbour complain about everyone that came to the monthly neighbour coffee Morning that everyone is boring. The problem was she never asked others about anything ,how they were, what they did, nothing. She thought I was great because I asked her questions and explored subjects she was interested in but in the end I avoided her because she had no interest in anything beyond her own interests.
Great points and so true. I know plenty of people like that.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:28 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's a good question. I don't want any parts of any of it. No matter the stated ideology, politics is a corrupt nightmare. I wish more people would understand that politics/political ideology is just not something you should base your identity on.
Nor your relationships. Thomas Jefferson famously said that he wouldn't end a friendship over a difference of opinion. Now we have whole families that are fractured and estranged because they come down on different sides of the aisle (while one faction sees the other as merely mistaken or misguided, the other sees the opposite as morally deficient and even evil, which is in itself a hysterical view to take). I much preferred it when I, pre-social media, had NO IDEA the political leanings of my coworkers, acquaintances, sports buddies, club members, even close friends and relatives. WE DIDN'T DISCUSS IT. Voting booths: private for a reason.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:07 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
How did your situation turn out? How did you deal with that obsessive person? Do you have an update for us?

Old 12-26-2020, 10:11 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Nor your relationships. Thomas Jefferson famously said that he wouldn't end a friendship over a difference of opinion. Now we have whole families that are fractured and estranged because they come down on different sides of the aisle (while one faction sees the other as merely mistaken or misguided, the other sees the opposite as morally deficient and even evil, which is in itself a hysterical view to take). I much preferred it when I, pre-social media, had NO IDEA the political leanings of my coworkers, acquaintances, sports buddies, club members, even close friends and relatives. WE DIDN'T DISCUSS IT. Voting booths: private for a reason.
I remember those days. Believe it or not, even in Seattle and Berkeley, CA, both of which I lived in for many years, politics never came up in the workplace or around the neighborhood. People led full lives and had more interesting things to share with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology