Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 11:32 AM

855 posts, read 625,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
It really makes me wonder what psychological need is there to continually rant about politics? Don't people talk about art, culture, movies, sports, business, the economy, great recipes, new fitness discoveries, or anything else?

I just don't understand it and honestly I have gotten to where I don't want to engage with anyone because I know politics will come up, I will feel like throwing up and I just don't want to go there.

Does anyone else feel this way about political discussions?
I can relate completely.

This is going to sound blasphemous, but I suspect that if more
people were to just disengage from the news-media entirely,
political ranting would decrease significantly. It seems the media
feeds this behavior. I just don't go there with them.

“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in
almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination,
from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions
at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other
non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth
a brass farthing.” ― Mark Twain

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 12:17 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,207,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Nor your relationships. Thomas Jefferson famously said that he wouldn't end a friendship over a difference of opinion. Now we have whole families that are fractured and estranged because they come down on different sides of the aisle (while one faction sees the other as merely mistaken or misguided, the other sees the opposite as morally deficient and even evil, which is in itself a hysterical view to take). I much preferred it when I, pre-social media, had NO IDEA the political leanings of my coworkers, acquaintances, sports buddies, club members, even close friends and relatives. WE DIDN'T DISCUSS IT. Voting booths: private for a reason.
I remember a time when any political discussion were strongly discouraged in the workplace, and certainly not encouraged by professionals when dealing with the public. My sister was fired for constantly bringing up politics with her coworkers and fights would ensue or it would cause resentments and affect work.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:31 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,013,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
I can relate completely.

This is going to sound blasphemous, but I suspect that if more
people were to just disengage from the news-media entirely,
political ranting would decrease significantly. It seems the media
feeds this behavior. I just don't go there with them.
-
Disengaging from cable news and talk radio would probably suffice!

Old 12-27-2020, 11:57 AM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
That's exactly what I was going to say! It's the "hate radio" shows, whose entire purpose is to stir the pot, that are at the root of a lot of this, IMO. In my town, an older man physically attacked a Native teen who was on his way home from an after-school job downtown, because (it was later found), there had been a right-wing talk show that afternoon, on the topic of the pipeline controversy in the Dakotas, and the MC had been harping on his opinion, that Native people were "anti-American" and "against society".

Those shows know they're skirting the line between instigating violence, and "merely" exercising freedom of speech. They know exactly what they're doing, and it's not contributing to "civil society".

Old 12-27-2020, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 2,986 times
politics are for groomers and pedophiles..

Old 12-27-2020, 04:31 PM

21,895 posts, read 12,998,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's exactly what I was going to say! It's the "hate radio" shows, whose entire purpose is to stir the pot, that are at the root of a lot of this, IMO. In my town, an older man physically attacked a Native teen who was on his way home from an after-school job downtown, because (it was later found), there had been a right-wing talk show that afternoon, on the topic of the pipeline controversy in the Dakotas, and the MC had been harping on his opinion, that Native people were "anti-American" and "against society".

Those shows know they're skirting the line between instigating violence, and "merely" exercising freedom of speech. They know exactly what they're doing, and it's not contributing to "civil society".
The right hardly has the market cornered on promoting hate for the other side.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 36,985,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I much preferred it when I, pre-social media, had NO IDEA the political leanings of my coworkers, acquaintances, sports buddies, club members, even close friends and relatives. WE DIDN'T DISCUSS IT. Voting booths: private for a reason.
Me, too. I really think getting people to be vocal about their political opinions is about dividing people against each other.

We also know from book like "The Big Sort" that since the mid 1960s people of both sides of the aisle have been moving to areas where people think just like themselves. This creates an echo chamber and makes people more extreme in their views.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I disagree. It needs to be the entire mainstream media, including the entertainment industry.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

If you're only seeing hatred from one side of the political aisle, I think you're being willfully blind.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:15 PM

I love Byron Katie. I think this video is great and would help us all see the mind game that we play on ourselves. Very worthwhile, but the volume is low, so turn it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhzp...nel=ByronKatie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology