Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 09:42 AM

11,141 posts, read 6,741,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
Prayer can handle that for you. Sometimes when things are so real and hurting so bad and there is no other way to let go, just give it to God and he will relieve you of this burden. HE will take on the pain for you, and allow you to heal. Just say "Lord, you know my troubles and I need you to take this from me." HE will and you will let go.
Must be emphasized that "letting go" is a process though. Not usually a one-time event. Wish that it were!

I realized a helpful thing with my counselor the other day. I've been struggling with forgiveness for a while (person I don't know that ripped me off) and I compared it to my long, slow healing after my hip operation. The surgeon said it would take a year.

So why can't I allow my mental health a "year" to recover? Somehow we expect or hope for a "door to open" and voila, problem solved. All healing takes time, mental/emotional/physical.

God will help, but maybe not instantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 03:47 PM

873 posts, read 616,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yep, I'm not surprised by any of your mom's actions. She more than likely is a narc...bleeding everyone around her bone dry, getting everything she can out of everything & everyone to the fullest until there's nothing left, but never taking any blame for any of it & not feeling any guit for any of her actions.

Certain people, espcially narcs don't deserve to be parents because they don't have any of the qualities it takes to be a genuinely good parent & she's one of them. Narcs are the type of people who don't need to have children, but it seems they often still have them so they'll always have people to have control over, serve them so to speak, take advantage of, etc., similarly to how a man has a harem in certain cultures.

Once one realizes that a family member (or anyone else in their life) is a narc, the best thing to do is stay far away from that person.

I hope you're a lot more content nowadays!

Wow, next think I know is you will guess her name.

After years of counseling and reading books, withdrawal was the right answer for me. It might have been Eleanor Roosevelt who said (paraphrasing) no one can hurt you without your permission.

My feeling about why she became a parent is because, well, back in the '50s and 60s that is what women did. She married my dad, whom she never seemed to have liked very much, and had four kids. I went to Catholic school and our family was kind of small compared to other families at the time. We gave her a reason to stay home which she did with great gusto.

Yes, I'm a lot more content nowadays and thanks for your kind comments.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:43 PM

12,825 posts, read 15,122,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Wow, next think I know is you will guess her name.

After years of counseling and reading books, withdrawal was the right answer for me. It might have been Eleanor Roosevelt who said (paraphrasing) no one can hurt you without your permission.

My feeling about why she became a parent is because, well, back in the '50s and 60s that is what women did. She married my dad, whom she never seemed to have liked very much, and had four kids. I went to Catholic school and our family was kind of small compared to other families at the time. We gave her a reason to stay home which she did with great gusto.

Yes, I'm a lot more content nowadays and thanks for your kind comments.

Glad to hear it! My fiance' on the other hand never had 1 day of any kind of therapy/counseling, etc. Should he have? Perhaps to help within himself, but he's gone no-contact w/ the 5 members of his immediate fam anyway & he's glad & feels a great weight's been lifted as I'm sure you did/do. He's been strong & done extremely well w/ handling it himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology