Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 04:44 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,558 times

Advertisements

Is she the same plain, overweight woman who men responded well to at the speed dating event?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 07:03 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,924,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
This is something I like to explore. I can watch a movie and find some or all of it to be cliche and ridiculous or stupid. Questions unanswered, things so unrealistic. And my friend will love it. Won’t really get when I bring up something that didn’t make sense, or was in there just to move along the story or to be woke. She will watch The Bachelor and believe it’s true love. I laugh at it and try to explain how things are so staged and she doesn’t get it. Is it that she is just more simple or I’m to cynical?
I'd say you are more analytical. I'm an engineer and analyze the crap out of everything, which does tend to drive my spouse crazy, but it's because I was conditioned to do that throughout my career. Suspending disbelief is more difficult if you are a left-brained analytical type.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:19 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,115,072 times
I have some guilty pleasures. I think the show, Cobra Kai, on Netflix is absolute fluff. The acting is not very good, and the stories are a bit over the top. But there are some underlying messaging that I can appreciate from the show. For instance, in the original Karate Kid movies, we only saw the perspective from Daniel's eyes. Cobra Kai delves into the concept that people perceive situations differently, and we get a little more of an idea of how his nemesis, Johnny viewed the events as they unfolded.

Anyway, my enjoyment of Cobra Kai neither here nor there. I think sometimes even when you're a deep, critical thinker, you need some outlets to give your mind a break. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I often feel like I need a couple drinks just to consume most of the content that's out there. It has an enhancing effect and allows me to suspend belief. On the other hand, there are some movies that are just so well written and well acted that I become engaged quickly.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:22 AM

880 posts, read 564,432 times
Quote:
This is something I like to explore. I can watch a movie and find some or all of it to be cliche and ridiculous or stupid. Questions unanswered, things so unrealistic. And my friend will love it. Won’t really get when I bring up something that didn’t make sense, or was in there just to move along the story or to be woke. She will watch The Bachelor and believe it’s true love. I laugh at it and try to explain how things are so staged and she doesn’t get it. Is it that she is just more simple or I’m to cynical?

As I always say in all of my posts. I am neither a psychologist, or a psychiatrist, so my opinions are my own! I believe this is very "personality" based. I had childhood ADHD growing up. Easiest way I could describe it is like being bi-polar, except your "low" point is normal, but you may still have the "highs" (just not manic, if you will). A trait that I have is that I am often very easily amused. Not in an ignorant way, but I'm fascinated and "take pleasure" in a lot of things in life. I have a ton of hobbies, and am intrigued by new approaches to old problems. I like all kinds of music, new and old, and really like to dig into something that's new or that I don't understand.

Maybe this is similar to your friend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
She's probably not very intelligent or curious. It's not unusual. The world is full of low IQ people.

It's been my experience that this behavior is usually exhibited by people who are higher functioning, not lower functioning. Interest / intrigue, and emotion are things that separate the more intelligent among us, from those who solely seek gratification of needs / requirements.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:54 PM

11,077 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Just simple and common differences between people. Like Person A enjoying and cheering at some heated political babbling on a cable "news" show, while Person B only sees a repulsive circus of idiots on parade. Or Person A loving classical music, while Person B loves heavy metal. When we look at the ways of someone completely different, it's unlikely we'll ever understand or relate to them.

I'd be more concerned with people who can't be entertained, and/or who never laugh.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-01-2022 at 01:03 PM..

Old 02-01-2022, 07:31 PM

1,483 posts, read 684,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
I think Myers-Briggs functions could explain this. Maybe she is XSFP? I think they can more easily "escape" into media without questioning stuff or really noticing anything other than what is presented on the surface. No deep thinking about things.
Indeed.

As an XSFP myself - E / I can go either way, but very strong on the other three - not only am I easily entertained but I also easily entertain.

This is who we SPs are - the artists, creators, and performers. Entertainers. Much more at home in a studio, in front of a camera - or behind the camera - or on stage with an audience than in a classroom ruminating over philosophy or theology. Sorry, but not sorry - not for this SP at all.

And STEM? Oh please...

Old 02-02-2022, 11:21 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Well, A, B, and C.

A: Some of us have a more open mind about things than others. Such as those who want to a Bond flick at face value and forget they are watching a spy flick. Like, for example, jumping all over Anya in "The Spy Who Loved Me" when she says she's a Major in the Russian Army. WHAT RUSSIAN ARMY? IT'S THE SOVIET ARMY!!!!!! .......

Hello, it is a spy movie and she is a spy. Anything she says has to be taken with a big grain of salt and maybe her saying "Russian Army" is a psychological ploy to mislead USN submarine Commander Carter into a false train of thought.

Or in Star Trek: TOS "The Paradise Syndrome"....What's this thing about pushing the engines at warp 8 for hours when the asteroid is only 2 months away at sublight............

...........where did you get your degree is astro deflection behind. We know nothing about the deflection point, of what the celestial body alignment has to be, if the Enterprise must build up or shed gravitional forces on itself or anything else involved in being able to push that "moon" on a new course. The one thing we do know is.....that the deflection point IS NOT in the path of the asteroid.

Or take "Solar Crisis" where a mission is sent to the sun to prevent a solar flare from scorching the Earth. An evil man believes the mission will harm his drought money making on Earth so he sabotages the mission......which doesn't make sense, for if the mission is real and it fails, he gets scorched, too and if the mission is a hoax, then he still makes his money.......

......and this is all immaterial. What matters is that, right or wrong, he believes that, he has the means to sabotage the mission, and he has put his plan into motion.

B: It's our nightly entertainment, to get away from things for a while. Like the "Saturday Matinee" flick, the entire experience is what makes it enjoyable.

C: It's just a movie, after all.......of course,there is good and bad to that view point. When the audience has it, it's okay. When the actor has it, however, they are forgetting that they are suppose to be entertaining the audience.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:32 AM

1,250 posts, read 678,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
Indeed.

As an XSFP myself - E / I can go either way, but very strong on the other three - not only am I easily entertained but I also easily entertain.

This is who we SPs are - the artists, creators, and performers. Entertainers. Much more at home in a studio, in front of a camera - or behind the camera - or on stage with an audience than in a classroom ruminating over philosophy or theology. Sorry, but not sorry - not for this SP at all.

And STEM? Oh please...
Thank you for commenting. I thought it was weird that no one on a PSYCHOLOGY forum seems to have a clue about Myers-Briggs functions or inventory. They explain a lot of human behavior in shorthand.

It's also interesting to me (I'm INTJ) that you notice the trait of being easily entertained about yourself. The ability to escape is astounding to me. I have watched people who can easily escape into cartoons or action movies and I'm just fascinated. I find their abilities and behavior way more interesting than whatever is on TV that they're so absorbed in. I am also envious of their ability to not have to deal with an analytical filter over everything.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:11 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
INTJ here, too (not just via some Internet test, but a trained psychologist).

Love my garbage TV!

Old 02-02-2022, 12:58 PM

747 posts, read 579,800 times
No one seems to understand the wide variation of comedy, including comedians.
I think it is a personality thing. Some people will laugh at anything, literally. They need a release of tension and don't know how to respond. They laugh at misfortunes, accidents, deaths.

Some of it is cultural and how/where you were raised...

Some is age related. Young people find things funny that old people don't, at all.
It is reported that highly intelligent, intellectual people are less entertained and takes more to be happier...b ecause of their narrow interests and sophistication. I am an exception to that. I like silly jokes and sophisticated humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology