Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 08:20 AM

585 posts, read 495,339 times

Advertisements

This is something I like to explore. I can watch a movie and find some or all of it to be cliche and ridiculous or stupid. Questions unanswered, things so unrealistic. And my friend will love it. Won’t really get when I bring up something that didn’t make sense, or was in there just to move along the story or to be woke. She will watch The Bachelor and believe it’s true love. I laugh at it and try to explain how things are so staged and she doesn’t get it. Is it that she is just more simple or I’m to cynical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 08:30 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
I think at any given point, people just want different things. While you may have noticed something that didn't make sense, your friend's radar did not notice it as something that needs to be addressed. It was simply an activity that you did together that was not productive for you. That doesn't make you cynical or your friend simple in general, but maybe at that particular point in time you were.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:56 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
This is something I like to explore. I can watch a movie and find some or all of it to be cliche and ridiculous or stupid. Questions unanswered, things so unrealistic. And my friend will love it. Won’t really get when I bring up something that didn’t make sense, or was in there just to move along the story or to be woke. She will watch The Bachelor and believe it’s true love. I laugh at it and try to explain how things are so staged and she doesn’t get it. Is it that she is just more simple or I’m to cynical?
She's probably not very intelligent or curious. It's not unusual. The world is full of low IQ people.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:10 AM

700 posts, read 446,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
She's probably not very intelligent or curious. It's not unusual. The world is full of low IQ people.
I do think it's curious, especially in the Psych forum, how every OP in these sorts of threads identifies as the high-functioning/IQ one who is troubled or burdened by the stoops.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:19 AM

585 posts, read 495,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
I do think it's curious, especially in the Psych forum, how every OP in these sorts of threads identifies as the high-functioning/IQ one who is troubled or burdened by the stoops.
I never said that. She has a masters and runs a company. I don’t. I just meant simple minded for entertainment and I’m more cynical.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:51 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
I never said that. She has a masters and runs a company. I don’t. I just meant simple minded for entertainment and I’m more cynical.
Maybe she just wants to be entertained after a long day of using her noggin for running a company. My husband was a cto and has a PhD but he’d come home and read comic books, his reasoning was he needed to give his brain a rest.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:44 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
LOL. I'm more "burdened" by those more intelligent than me!

Could just be differing perception of humor. I'm guessing DH and I are similar in IQ (neither particularly high) but "typical" humor like Seinfeld/Big Bang Theory doesn't move him at all. Whereas I love it. Yet he'll be screaming with laughter at something I can't relate to at all.

Most comedy routines don't do a thing for either of us. However, I was pleasantly surprised when we came across an ancient Laurel and Hardy (who I thought I didn't like) skit that had us BOTH rolling on the floor!

Last edited by Sand&Salt; 01-30-2022 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: had to add the Big Bang

Old 01-30-2022, 10:57 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I remember reading somewhere in a psychology book that imaginative, intelligent people are fond of nonsense humor.

Facts For You Only: The famous photo of Albert Einstein sticking out his tongue was taken at the end of his 72nd birthday celebration. A photographer tried to...

Perhaps your girlfriend is entertained by romantic fantasies.

Sometimes it's a puzzle what makes people entertained. My adult kids can go into fits of laughter over things that don't even bring a smile from me.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:11 AM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
I would have to say that the OPs friend approaches entertainment more AS entertainment, is more willing to provide the necessary suspension of disbelief, etc. One could argue that the OP has the less realistic approach, wanting what is essentially an artistic endeavor to be rational, structurally flawless representation of the real world.

Entertainment exists largely as an escape from real life. Unless it's a documentary or perhaps a historic enactment that is striving for accuracy, it's going to have logical holes that you could drive a truck through. And when produced in large quantities, as for TV / streaming, the quality tends to slip a bit anyway.

I mostly love Star Trek in all its forms even though I'm aware that warp drives and, especially transporters are probably just never going to happen, and in fast were invented as plot devices to get characters quickly into and out of scenarios on a minimal special effects budget, not to mention sub-feature-length time constraints. The same goes for most (originally, all) alien races being conveniently bipedal apes so that they can be depicted by human actors wearing makeup and prosthetics.

Every bit of fiction has some set of "givens" like that, which you just have to be willing to accept / assume so that the whole premise works.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:11 AM

700 posts, read 446,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Maybe she just wants to be entertained after a long day of using her noggin for running a company. My husband was a cto and has a PhD but he’d come home and read comic books, his reasoning was he needed to give his brain a rest.
This could absolutely be the case! I am so mentally empty after a day at work, I prefer entertainment that challenges me in different parts of my brain.
Cynicism doesn't play into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology