Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 08:54 AM

11,141 posts, read 6,741,828 times

Advertisements

This dream analysis is fascinating. You guys have some exciting dreams.

I hardly ever remember mine and don't dream about exes.

OTOH, DH has the same "monster chasing me" dreams he had as a kid, where his dad would have to come in and comfort him. He thrashes around, even has jumped out of bed---it's not fun for me!

Why would a retired guy have "monster dreams"---seems really weird. What kind of "animus" is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 09:09 AM

88,915 posts, read 85,433,642 times
I told this one on the Grief and Mourning board, I think, but it still amuses me to think about it.

My mother died two years ago March. She was 91, but her mind was strong and sharp even though her kidneys and heart were failing. I haven't had anyone to play Scrabble with since--our last game was the week before she died. I miss her for that and other reasons. I could really use her to talk to in my current situation.

So months after she died, I told a friend that I hadn't had even one dream about my mother. Being the type of person who believes what she believes, she advised me to speak out loud to my mother just before I went to sleep, to tell her that I really miss her and love her and would like to hear from her.

What the heck. I did just that.

An hour after I fell asleep I woke up from a dream in which my mother, looking like she did in her 40s or 50s, not 91, was IN MY FACE telling me in a very annoyed voice to leave her alone and get on with doing what I had to do. We were in the living room of her house, where I had grown up. When she was finished, she turned and walked up the stairs to the second floor.

I haven't asked her to show up again!

Old 02-12-2022, 10:09 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,033,060 times
I love that story, I remember reading it on the other thread.

There are some who say it is the brain that creates these dreams and that they are "just stories." I prefer the Jungian view, even though I don't yet understand the anima/animus situation. To me, I always felt like I had a well-developed animus, but looking back I see that it actually needed work.

I think dreams are far, far beyond just stories, and that they have a purpose. By the same token, I think NDE's (near death experiences) have a purpose and they are similar to dreams but on a different level. There are too many dreams and NDE's that are profound, meaningful and serve a purpose.

I still feel we'll never figure it all out. And each situation or story is very personal. The answer is not "universal." It's individual. There is no "one" answer. It's whatever it means to us, and what we make of it and take from it.

I watched a video a couple weeks ago about Jim Woodford, a man who was materially extremely successful in life and had an NDE late in life. I found it fascinating especially compared to other such videos. It wasn't a dream, so I'm not sure if I'm going to get zapped for going off topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3UeaUAEB-E&t=37s

Old 02-12-2022, 10:10 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,033,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

OTOH, DH has the same "monster chasing me" dreams he had as a kid, where his dad would have to come in and comfort him. He thrashes around, even has jumped out of bed---it's not fun for me!

Why would a retired guy have "monster dreams"---seems really weird. What kind of "animus" is this?
I think it has something to do with the animus - or anima. I think harry will chime in.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:12 AM

88,915 posts, read 85,433,642 times
Dreams are often symbolic and it's your own subconscious telling you something you already know beneath the surface. Other times, I agree with the people who say some dreams are your mind throwing out bits and pieces of garbage that the mind doesn't know what to do with.

The bottom line is that you can use a site like Dreammoods that gives you info on the symbols or you can just think it out, but the point is that on some level YOU know what the dream means, so likely what you come up with as the meaning is what it means to you.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:05 PM

23,666 posts, read 70,756,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Not an animus at all. If he was having monster dreams that young, it much more likely relates to some deep fear or unresolved conflict. (There is a very slight possibility of a medical issue as well.) The type of monster and situation would be important in trying to decipher what it represents. There are various ways of resolving such dreams. Learning how to lucid dream might be a start, but again, a therapist would be the way to go on something that has been going on for so long. Lay people can fix a leaking faucet, but replumbing a house is best left to plumbers.

I don't usually visit this forum because pop psychology might be entertaining for others but isn't something I'm much interested in, and I would spoil the fun. The OP confusion was just so obvious a fit that I felt the concept of anima/animus deserved to be brought forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology