Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 11:20 AM

11,141 posts, read 6,741,828 times

Advertisements

There are lay counseling programs through churches.

The best counselor I've ever had is one of those volunteers. They go through a rigorous training and use a program called "Renovation". It is not religious in nature. Just a recognition of mental health needs in the larger community.

I was at the lowest point in my life last year, and this program got me through it. Very grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 01:27 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,109,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I would like to learn counselling but I really think that the human approach is a better one than the more academic approach.

Many of the courses appear to be more academically-orientated in that they teach about the history and technical attributes and the causes and its effects, whereas I would like to learn about techniques and a more hands-on human approach.

I believe that the better way to go is to learn to become a good listener and to reflect back to the client and allow them to essentially identify their own problem and solution rather than giving advice which I do not believe counsellors should do.

Am I living in lal-la land in these beliefs or is it a viable way to go? If it is, then I need to find a method which is less academic and more practical in nature. Any ideas? I think I am looking for, not a university degree but a practical certificate given out by a reputable organisation which holds some credibility. Is there such an organisation?
The reason for the academic approach is simple. The counselor has needed training in evaluating those problems and issues. They are taught how to bring the problems to the surface so that they can be eliminated over time. They learn how the brain works and why someone is "mentally ill" and they are trained to treat it.

Your post almost sounds as if you already know more than a trained psychologist does and that simply isn't true. Hands on is easy when you're putting hydrogen peroxide on an open wound and using gauze to cover it. But the doctor can tell if anything else has been damaged. Big Difference.

Everyone has heard of all the personality disorders and they self diagnose and the diagnose their friends and co-workers every day. But the truth is, they are usually wrong and don't have a clue. A trained medical professional is the way to go.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:39 AM

724 posts, read 436,257 times
Hey Paul, I'm currently studying psychology in Germany and although I do understand your point, ultimately a person goes to a counsellor because they want advice. Counsel literally means advice.

It sounds like you don't like the idea of 'actively' giving advice, but as you said being a good listener and reflecting back on the person that is telling you their story is important.
Although that may not sound like giving advice, that is exactly what it is.

For example if someone comes to you and starts telling you how their life is messed up, they are unhappy and so on, and after listening you point out inconsistencies and remind that person of the positive things in their life and how they have the power to live how they want, that is not specific advice(like go get a job) but it IS advice in the form of trying to tell that person to reflect and reconsider some things in their life.

Quote:
I just hope most of you are not in practice somewhere.
This was kind of unneeded. There's no need to act out on people who are just trying to answer your question - however right or wrong they are.

As for not studying and finding something, I don't really know how things work over there, sorry. But I do think studying what you want gives you a lot of information and insight on a lot of things that you may right now underestimate or not even think about. Having the option of identifying/tackling a problem from all kinds of angles is really important, I think.
But I guess it will be difficult to study and work at the same time.

In Germany sometimes theres a thing called Dual Studying, which is studying and working at a place at the same time, so you can also get paid. Also there is another thing called 'Far-University' and you actually can make your own schedule and dont even have to physically go to the university, but you have to pay a semester fee of course. Maybe you could try looking for something like that?

Good luck whatever you do

Old 02-18-2022, 08:41 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,796 posts, read 4,173,619 times
Or you could just get a real job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology