Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 07:21 PM

88,915 posts, read 85,433,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I'm kind of cynical but I think it's a stretch to "guess the majority in here are fibbers to the highest degree."

You know the old saying, the more you lie, the more you have to lie and then you start making huge mistakes. Why bother? Most of the liars just disappear.

I think most people on here can scope out the liars. Some more than others.
Yes, and then you have to remember what you said to keep the story straight. Too much work.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-01-2022 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 07:43 PM

88,915 posts, read 85,433,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That's interesting. I am religious (more spiritual actually) but I don't frequent that forum at all. I'm not interested in circular mind games or word salad, either between posters or within the poster him or herself. I'm more of a "spirit of the law" person rather than a "letter of the law" person. I find it sad that a lot of people don't get that not all prayers are answered.

As for fakery on C-D, I'm not as consistently here as many other posters, so it's impressive to me how many posters here have such good memories about what's been written and/or asserted.

I keep my private life to myself, especially my struggles. I get into enough trouble on here without inviting more scorn!
You have to wade through sometimes. People do share their personal spiritual journeys, and that's fine. It's the forum to go to do that. We have long-term posters who were religious when they first started posting and became atheists, and vice versa.

Some come to preach, some come to argue, and yes, atheists are there challenging believers in the places where that is allowed, and believers are arguing back at them. It's a forum about religion, not a forum for the religious, and there's a lot of diversity because it is not exclusive.

I've only ever seen one, and it's a new poster, who says we can expect all prayers to be answered. Their trick is to assume God has already answered the prayers so you pray for whatever God has decided and POOF, it is answered by default!

Old 06-01-2022, 07:54 PM

16,203 posts, read 7,169,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I think people may feel more comfortable sharing personal information anonymously on a message board than in real life. Also there are those who do not have anyone close to them IRL that they feel comfortable sharing personal information with.

Plus it helps to get an outsider's view of a particular situation although some of the outsider advice given here on CD is not helpful and is sometimes offered in a hurtful way.
It is one thing to share personal stories, to get some insight from others in a forum like this, but quite another thing to fake them, no? That is what I find mystifying.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:58 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,243,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It helps to have a finely tuned bull**** detector. If something makes me go a quick glance at the posting history usually uncovers the inconsistency or (sometimes) pattern of sketchy behaviour.

Not to mention the repeat offenders who never seem to catch on that we've caught on. In that case it's more amusing to just let them post their fantasies and get zero response to the lies they are repeatedly trotting out. The more desperate they get for attention, the more they post about it LOL.
Certainly does, when the red flags wave I scroll by or if the really trip themselves up I put on ignore.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:15 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,033,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You have to wade through sometimes. People do share their personal spiritual journeys, and that's fine. It's the forum to go to do that. We have long-term posters who were religious when they first started posting and became atheists, and vice versa.

Some come to preach, some come to argue, and yes, atheists are there challenging believers in the places where that is allowed, and believers are arguing back at them. It's a forum about religion, not a forum for the religious, and there's a lot of diversity because it is not exclusive.

I've only ever seen one, and it's a new poster, who says we can expect all prayers to be answered. Their trick is to assume God has already answered the prayers so you pray for whatever God has decided and POOF, it is answered by default!
Your second paragraph explains it very well. The third paragraph made me laugh.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:47 PM

8,830 posts, read 3,983,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Faking on Social Media
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Many people share their personal stories on social media. How do you relate to these stories? i know many posters think they “know” these posters by their stories. I think that is only natural. I do as well. But then their stories break down a bit here and there. you begin to wonder if they are making stuff up about themselves, posing to be someone they are not.
I don’t follow/interact with anyone on social media I don’t personally know, and this is precisely why; it’s not worth my time. You have a choice as to whether you engage/follow others’ social media i.e. simply turn it off - unless you have a reason for not doing so.

Focusing on others’ (lack of) psychological health is not a way to nurture your own.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:40 PM

1,655 posts, read 783,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t follow/interact with anyone on social media I don’t personally know, and this is precisely why; it’s not worth my time. You have a choice as to whether you engage/follow others’ social media i.e. simply turn it off - unless you have a reason for not doing so.

Focusing on others’ (lack of) psychological health is not a way to nurture your own.
Exactly. Tune out the noise. Life is too short for making heads or tails of other people’s stuff. The digital world is full of fake stuff nowadays…from Facebook to tik toc to dating apps. Sometimes it feels like people 60+ years old are the last of the normal people who were raised and lived adulthood outside the digital world.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:20 AM

9,571 posts, read 5,364,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, and then you have to remember what you said to keep the story straight. Too much work.
Yep. I learned this as a young kiddo.....I don't even remember what lie I'd told but it got me in trouble with some little friends. My father told me that when you always tell the truth, you never have to remember what you told someone or keep your story straight. A life lesson I've kept with me through the decades. It's true.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:22 AM

9,571 posts, read 5,364,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
That's the great thing about the internet.
Anybody can pretend to be things they aren't & brag about their assets & wealth when in reality they haven't a pot to pee in.
I'd guess the majority in here are fibbers to the highest degree.
I chose not to be that cynical, although I guess with certain posters, eventually you figure out they are full of it. LOL

Old 06-02-2022, 07:33 AM

2,128 posts, read 1,482,750 times
I was scrolling through fb yesterday. Not in the mood to do my traveling down my timeline "like like like like like hugs like care like love, etc" and came across a tik tok video a friend posted.

First of all this is a work friend and we all know what this person looks like. But she is into this posting of filtered close up selfies the last year or so all glammed up in different outfits and poses.

So this time it was a vid of her in her car with her face so heavily filtered she was blurry and distorted. Other than the name of the person and her typical hairstyle you would not know it was her.

Anyhow, she had some old classic rock song on and was staring at the camera close up and then tilting her head back and forth for about a minute. It was soooo strange, I had to watch it several times thinking "are you really doing this? Is this for real?"

And of course the comments "You are beautiful!" "So sensational" "Beautiful Rock Star." Just comment after comment with loves and hearts. You know they had to be thinking the same thing I was but we all lie and tell them what they want to hear. I didn't have the energy to lie yesterday so I showed it to my husb, shut down fb and went on with life.

It reminded me to stay scarce with any fb pics of myself. Eeegads that was a strange one. I can still see the mysterious filtered head tilting and the song ringing through my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology