Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 05:18 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Of course it is a forum, however personal stories are shared many many times a day here. Many posters discuss them over and over, for days on end. TONS of very personal tales. That is what your OP referenced.

All sorts of things (nonsense, spam, myths, TONS of misinformation) gets posted here on CD. Just like any other social media site, along with opinions. It definitely is a social media site.
It’s not a social media site any more than Reddit is social media. It’s anonymous and the guidelines do say that people are not supposed to post personally identifying information, such as their real name, address, name of the workplace, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 05:57 AM

11,065 posts, read 6,881,999 times
I understand what you're saying and it is a good point, but I still think it's a social media site. Reddit too.

Old 06-03-2022, 06:06 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It’s not a social media site any more than Reddit is social media. It’s anonymous and the guidelines do say that people are not supposed to post personally identifying information, such as their real name, address, name of the workplace, etc.
How do you define what social media is? FB allows multiple ID, it is easy to create them and many weirdos do. You can filter them yes, and control who can see your post to some extent. Revealing address and email is different from revealing abuse and other personal stories.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:35 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:

I don't think you actually understand what social media is. Identifying information certainly does not need to be provided. Not sure why you think that is a requirement.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/what-i...-media-2890301

Old 06-03-2022, 07:38 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
How do you define what social media is? FB allows multiple ID, it is easy to create them and many weirdos do.

By how easy it is to socially connect securely with other ppl through pictures, videos & texting. A forum connects ppl just by what you think about on a subject without really knowing anybody & no app or easy way to connect outside of it.

Quote:

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t consider CD ‘social media’ per se; it’s simply a forum to express opinion (relative to various topics, not people) - although many act entitled to (and discuss/ask/announce) personal information when, in fact, CD’s guidelines specifically state against doing so.

ITA…AND ppl are confusing sharing their own information with sharing other ppl’s information or feeling entitled to know who is married to who or posting rumors about ppl, like who paid for somebody’s implants. Since this is a psychology forum^^, what type of person does that?

Last edited by TashaPosh; 06-03-2022 at 07:51 AM..

Old 06-03-2022, 07:54 AM

700 posts, read 446,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
what type of person does that?
C'mon we know exactly the type.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:56 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
I just told a whopper in another sub forum and boy, do I feel great!
This lying stuff is worth its weight in gold.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:41 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
I don't ever post there but when I've browsed it a couple times I've noticed almost everyone there has a very low Rep score in comparison to the # of posts they've made.

Now I know that's hardly a scientific number, but if suggests to me strongly that it's a bunch of people talking and few people listening.
I noticed that too, when I occasionally venture over there. There's lots of people "listening" (views) but no one gives them any credibility. You'd think they'd get a clue. Thousands of posts and one or two reps?

It's sad the Christianity forum has become like the POC forum with nasty swipes and accusations and talk about repetition! The time it takes to list hundreds of Bible verses verbatim (only King James too, lol) in color, in bold, in italics....nobody is going to read all those verses! I don't get it. Very little "love" shown over there...disappointing.

IMO, the "best" lies are the ones that contain a germ of truth, so the exaggerator can talk convincingly about a topic (job, investments, etc.) and then "bump" it up so they look glamorous and wealthy with that "perfect" life, lol.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:55 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Why do you all spend so much time worrying about whether stories on an "anonymous" public message board are real or fake? I'm not trying to be snarky here. Isn't the point of you having an account to add your perspective to a discussion? Are you replying to people or ideas?

Old 06-03-2022, 12:25 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Why do you all spend so much time worrying about whether stories on an "anonymous" public message board are real or fake? I'm not trying to be snarky here. Isn't the point of you having an account to add your perspective to a discussion? Are you replying to people or ideas?
Discussions that tries to prove his point by relating personal life as an example or reason. Say reason why one turned atheist, and relates to early abuse or having a child who died. I am only making up an example of a discussion, not talking about any real post or poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology