Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2022, 06:54 PM

1,655 posts, read 781,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Connect with/follow people you know; problem solved. Most of us consider our phone, texting, pictures and apps nothing more than (a necessary part of) every-day life.
I think a lot of life gets lost in translation between physical life and digital life. I’ve personally found that after 25 years of being online I’ve just lost interest in knowing about people I don’t see IRL regularly. This forum is pretty much my only contact with people my eyes don’t see in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 07:42 PM

8,787 posts, read 3,946,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I think a lot of life gets lost in translation between physical life and digital life.
I don’t agree, as long as we connect with people we know (as opposed to fake pictures and avatars, lol). What skews translation is anonymity (and the intent to deceive or harass).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
This forum is pretty much my only contact with people my eyes don’t see in person.
I don’t consider this forum to be social media (nor is it an app) i.e. it isn’t necessary to know anyone in person (nor does anyone want to, heh). The point of it is to share opinion (anonymously) - not to share photos, invites or our lives.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:44 PM

22,128 posts, read 13,160,135 times
I'm not going to reread the whole thread to find it, but was this the one that mentioned how irritating it is when certain people make a mundane post on FB or insta and get millions of people liking, loving, and gushing over it? I couldn't agree more! What is up with that???

Old 06-09-2022, 08:36 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,103,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Many people share their personal stories on social media. How do you relate to these stories? i know many posters think they “know” these posters by their stories. I think that is only natural. I do as well. But then their stories break down a bit here and there. you begin to wonder if they are making stuff up about themselves, posing to be someone they are not.
How do you react? Do you continue to believe they are who they say they are and believe their sad stories and interact with them the same way?
Why would someone pose as someone else, make up a life story?
An ex used to religiously follow a youtube couple who vlogged their escapades. I found it pathetic and insufferable when she tried to show me an episode. I lasted about 5 minutes.

What I find amusing is when the camera is off, you know they’re sitting in a tent in the middle of nowhere questioning their life choices and wondering where to go next to continue the facade

Old 06-10-2022, 12:42 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,452,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've met four people from City-Data in real life. One was from the religion forum, two from the New Jersey forum, and the other is a fellow moderator. So far, all appear to be the people they presented themselves to be online.
I've always wondered if people on CD ever met up. I know CD been around a long time & I had the feeling that some of the earlier members might have become IRL friends.

I still don't really get the concept of online friends. People who have wanted to be my CD friend don't get in touch with me. I remember eons ago when my daughter would tell me about her friend in Amsterdam, or wherever, I asked her if that was someone she met in college, I was clueless about FB, lol.

I never understood CD rep points, either...is there a cash redemption value?

Old 06-10-2022, 05:24 AM

17,509 posts, read 22,269,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Connect with/follow people you know; problem solved. Most of us consider our phone, texting, pictures and apps nothing more than (a necessary part of) every-day life.
But do you really post your everyday life? When the bills in the mailbox total more than your paycheck covers? Do you post when your fridge busts and the guy says the new one is 2 weeks away? Post when your roof is leaking? Of course not, you post 37 selfies on your cruise to a 3rd world country or that awesome dinner party with the annoying drunk guy cut out of every shot.

Old 06-10-2022, 05:34 AM

17,509 posts, read 22,269,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
This is super funny.^^ How do you use Facebook? I have had a FB account since high school AND my parents & grandparents are on it now, Lol. I don’t think that’s much of a fantasy life. It’s a way to share pictures & stay connected to family & friends.

edit: Not everybody is fake or a serial killer on social media. It’s paranoia IMO. Just use your common sense.
I have a FB acct, have posted literally 3 one liners in the last 10 years. My high school reunion was organized through FB so you had to have an account to get the details. I have ONE picture posted and its a group shot of a few people so if you don't know me then you have no idea who I am.

I'll log on 2-3 times a year, see who died or who's cat died. So far in 2022, logged on once when a former teacher died.

Just a working theory...........the more friends you have on FB usually means you have no friends in real life! Sure everybody can round up 200 friends but when you start getting into the 1000, 1200, 1500 and you live with your mother working a menial job then I start to wonder! Case in point, big reunion milestone, I get 3 friend requests from 3 women I haven't seen since graduation AND they never said a word to me at the reunion. Hmmm that's odd, so I look at their pages and sure enough hundreds/thousands of friends but in real life they are sitting in the corner playing on their phone.

I have a relative that is a train wreck, regular unemployment/2 divorces in 5 years and yet on FB she is living the dream! Vacations, nights on the town I mean this girl is killing it. Reality: evicted from the last 2 apartments, debt collectors hunting her down..........she is a deadbeat but not on FB!

Old 06-10-2022, 08:06 AM

88,865 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I've always wondered if people on CD ever met up. I know CD been around a long time & I had the feeling that some of the earlier members might have become IRL friends.

I still don't really get the concept of online friends. People who have wanted to be my CD friend don't get in touch with me. I remember eons ago when my daughter would tell me about her friend in Amsterdam, or wherever, I asked her if that was someone she met in college, I was clueless about FB, lol.

I never understood CD rep points, either...is there a cash redemption value?
I wish there was! LOL. I never heard of anything like "reputation points" before this site.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:41 AM

5,726 posts, read 3,224,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
But do you really post your everyday life? When the bills in the mailbox total more than your paycheck covers? Do you post when your fridge busts and the guy says the new one is 2 weeks away? Post when your roof is leaking? Of course not, you post 37 selfies on your cruise to a 3rd world country or that awesome dinner party with the annoying drunk guy cut out of every shot.
A lot of us can and do post both aspects. Sometimes, it's just to vent. "Dang, what a day! Sat on the side of the highway for an hour today, waiting for Triple A from a blow out. Not the way I wanted to spend my Saturday for sure".

And then a week later "Look at my handsome son at his graduation. I'm so happy and proud for him." to "I love stupid puns. Here's another one for ya."

I DO post selfies once in awhile. Some of my friends, they haven't seen me in person in AGES, so yeah...here's a picture of me NOW.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:06 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,103,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
A lot of us can and do post both aspects. Sometimes, it's just to vent. "Dang, what a day! Sat on the side of the highway for an hour today, waiting for Triple A from a blow out. Not the way I wanted to spend my Saturday for sure".

And then a week later "Look at my handsome son at his graduation. I'm so happy and proud for him." to "I love stupid puns. Here's another one for ya."

I DO post selfies once in awhile. Some of my friends, they haven't seen me in person in AGES, so yeah...here's a picture of me NOW.
Do you look much different?

Kidding, sorta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology