Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 01:30 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,432,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Consider the possibility that he may be a conversational narcissist. All conversations are turn into something about themselves. I know two of them. I remain friends with them both, but they are conversational narcissists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Z1JcJUhKg
He does some of that, but almost everyone does to some extent. He is not nearly as bad as what she describes. I do have a relative who is pretty much a conversational narcissist -- she goes on and on and on about how great she is, and gets bored real fast if I try to talk about myself.

My friend does brag sometimes, but he is not really extreme about it. The only extreme thing is does is he will talk on an on for hours if I let him. So I have to limit the length of our conversations.

But, as I said, he can be nice. He does let me talk about myself, and he does listen to me. Unlike my relative.

I guess we all have some degree of narcissism at times. This video is talking about the extreme cases, the real arrogant bastards who no one can stand. My friend isn't like that, I couldn't stand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 02:25 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,988,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
What kind of person does it sound like he is? I think he is, at least, very much in his own world. I think he is not able to understand how another person is interpreting his messages.
I used to experience that a lot, that's because I had a low self-esteem of myself and, as result, I walk around in life with an inferiority complex. So I decided to do something about it, to improve myself so I would be respected. First, I lost weight, so I looked better. Then I bought some better quality clothes. Then I practiced in front of mirror, telling myself I AM SOMEBODY!! and it worked!! People respect me now because I dress for success. I look better. And by golly, I am somebody important!!

Old 07-06-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I used to experience that a lot, that's because I had a low self-esteem of myself and, as result, I walk around in life with an inferiority complex. So I decided to do something about it, to improve myself so I would be respected. First, I lost weight, so I looked better. Then I bought some better quality clothes. Then I practiced in front of mirror, telling myself I AM SOMEBODY!! and it worked!! People respect me now because I dress for success. I look better. And by golly, I am somebody important!!
Haha, if you're kidding this is funny.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Haha, if you're kidding this is funny.
Yes I am

Glad you have a sense of humor. There's hope for you yet!!

Old 07-06-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Yes I am

Glad you have a sense of humor. There's hope for you yet!!
Haha, very clever, thank you

Old 07-06-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Haha, very clever, thank you
Smart girl

Old 07-06-2022, 03:26 PM

7,600 posts, read 4,176,287 times
I do want to add that even though I have very supportive friends, I rarely complain about other people's behavior to them unless they mention it themselves and that alone can make me feel better. However, I have one friend who I can truly confide in but don't really take advantage of that because I can react very impetuously to perceived slights and don't want my friend to experience that.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I do want to add that even though I have very supportive friends, I rarely complain about other people's behavior to them unless they mention it themselves and that alone can make me feel better. However, I have one friend who I can truly confide in but don't really take advantage of that because I can react very impetuously to perceived slights and don't want my friend to experience that.
I have found that complaining about one friend to another friend usually backfires in some way. There is such a temptation to get another's opinion, and it really helps when a friend can understand our complaint. But most of the time, it seems to me, it doesn't work out that way.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:33 PM

7,600 posts, read 4,176,287 times
Quote:
I have found that complaining about one friend to another friend usually backfires in some way. There is such a temptation to get another's opinion, and it really helps when a friend can understand our complaint. But most of the time, it seems to me, it doesn't work out that way.
Yes! You have to be especially careful at work. There is always one person who would just love to report what you said about other co-workers or the boss.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes! You have to be especially careful at work. There is always one person who would just love to report what you said about other co-workers or the boss.
yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology