Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:29 AM

854 posts, read 520,601 times

Advertisements

Why is adulthood so painfully boring? I'm at the point where I think virtually all adults suffer from some form of mild to severe depression, sadness or just a closeted disdain for life.

When I was a kid, I used to look forward to being a grownup because I thought that people would stop being mean to each other (and to me). That illusion was quickly shattered when I turned 18 and hit my 20's. People still bully, but bullying takes different forms.

And as an adult, making friends is so much harder. I don't know why exactly. I think people just find a partner and have kids and think they don't need to make new friends anymore.

And what happened to our sense of imagination that we had as children? The ability to just have fun and get lost in your imagination. I still have mine, but I am considered 'weird' for being a dreamer.

Why is adulthood so boring and mundane? We go to work/school, pay bills, have children that will probably end up hating us, them we get old and slowly die. Many of us are ridiculously lonely and miserable, yet the solution is always to throw anti depressants at the problem.

Does anyone else feel the same about adulthood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 09:33 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
You should probably seek therapy.
Last time my life was boring was in 10th grade English.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:35 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Birth means death with a *to be determined* date.
This is not old news.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
You should probably seek therapy.
Last time my life was boring was in 10th grade English.
Therapy for questioning the way life is? I question everything. Which is related to my OP as adulthood also includes being forced to accept something rather than question it.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:20 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
If you are bored and not happy with your life then change it. I'm not bored or depressed. Start a new hobby, join a club, join a gym, do some volunteer work etc. all kinds of ways to relieve boredom. Maybe you need to surround yourself with more positive people because most of us are not miserable. It's harder to make friends as an adult but the rest of us do it so you can to.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:36 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Why is adulthood so painfully boring? I'm at the point where I think virtually all adults suffer from some form of mild to severe depression, sadness or just a closeted disdain for life.

When I was a kid, I used to look forward to being a grownup because I thought that people would stop being mean to each other (and to me). That illusion was quickly shattered when I turned 18 and hit my 20's. People still bully, but bullying takes different forms.

And as an adult, making friends is so much harder. I don't know why exactly. I think people just find a partner and have kids and think they don't need to make new friends anymore.

And what happened to our sense of imagination that we had as children? The ability to just have fun and get lost in your imagination. I still have mine, but I am considered 'weird' for being a dreamer.

Why is adulthood so boring and mundane? We go to work/school, pay bills, have children that will probably end up hating us, them we get old and slowly die. Many of us are ridiculously lonely and miserable, yet the solution is always to throw anti depressants at the problem.

I feel that life in general is a slow death- not just adulthood. I wouldn't say that childhood was so much more fun for me, but I guess I did have more optimism for the future than I do now. I don't want to grow old and die from disease. There are still some specific goals that I want to accomplish, but once those are done, I can die at any time. I don't think wanting to die is always about depression. Maybe you've just accomplished all that you want to accomplish and you're tired of living. Why am I required to keep living until my body gives out on its own if that's not what I really want?

Old 01-27-2017, 10:36 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It CAN seem that way at times, if you allow yourself to view it that way, but to me the challenge and the excitement come from NOT letting it get that way.

I do think you have two separate issues being asserted in your OP, the "adulthood is boring," and the bullying theme, and they should be handled differently.

If grown people are regularly being mean to you, something is wrong.

ETA: I remember you also, and you do have challenges in your life that many adults don't face, and that is something that can and should be dealt with support from others but has nothing to do, really, with life being boring or not.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 01-27-2017 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-27-2017, 10:47 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Therapy for questioning the way life is? I question everything. Which is related to my OP as adulthood also includes being forced to accept something rather than question it.
Therapy. Or continue to see life one way and confuse that with life being that way.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:51 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:

You are the captain of your own ship - your life is as boring as you make it.

Yes, making friends as an adult is harder. I can tell you why - people usually have long established friendships already, often formed in high school. Also, they are more guarded. They have a partner/children/job and there isn't much time left to make new friends.

However, I have come to the US at the age of 29 and made friends at work. Then I moved to a different state and made friends there - some at work. Some through hobbies.

I am glad I am not a child anymore. I hated my childhood and the bullying. Now I can choose the people I have around me and I am independent, can make my own decisions without having to ask my parents for approval/money and I am not afraid to tell mean people to go suck a ..

The form of bullying you experience is probably of your gender thing you have going on (I remember you from other posts). I suggest you look for friends in the homosexual area, they are more likely accepting and open. I would frequent gay bars if I was you. I have gay friends, they are the greatest and much fun to be around despite their struggles for acceptance. Also, there are really nice and kind people at animal rescue places. Your love for cats might be a common interest and maybe you want to volunteer?

Old 01-27-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I feel that life in general is a slow death- not just adulthood. I wouldn't say that childhood was so much more fun for me, but I guess I did have more optimism for the future than I do now. I don't want to grow old and die from disease. There are still some specific goals that I want to accomplish, but once those are done, I can die at any time. I don't think wanting to die is always about depression. Maybe you've just accomplished all that you want to accomplish and you're tired of living. Why am I required to keep living until my body gives out on its own if that's not what I really want?
*hugs*

My childhood was no picnic either, but like you said, there was hope and I had my imagination to escape to and no one questioned me for questioning things or told me to see a therapist as a substitute for human connections. I didn't have many friends, but I had 2-3 BFFs and we were always at each other's houses. I don't know if it's just the era and the generation we are in, but making friends is so damn hard that I've given up. I wish it wasn't the case. And I don't see anything wrong with questioning why we accept such mundane lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology