Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:02 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Slow death? I'm 62 and have rarely been bored and if I were, I changed it up. I was just surveying my life so far as I laid in bed this morning thinking how awesome it is that I have done so many things in my life. Met so many interesting people, moved to different places............. We are just planning the next stage, 62 to 82!

You can sit on the merry-go-round and go round and round or hop on the roller coaster and live!
I agree! I think the difference between childhood and adulthood is that now no one can yell at me for jumping on the bed or eating Pop Tarts for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 11:26 AM

854 posts, read 520,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Slow death? I'm 62 and have rarely been bored and if I were, I changed it up. I was just surveying my life so far as I laid in bed this morning thinking how awesome it is that I have done so many things in my life. Met so many interesting people, moved to different places............. We are just planning the next stage, 62 to 82!

You can sit on the merry-go-round and go round and round or hop on the roller coaster and live!
You're the same age as my mom. She's very active still. I just don't share the same rosy outlook on life I mean it'd be better if malog friends was easier. I think that's the part of childhood I miss more than anything; having really good close friends. People seem so unwilling to be your friend. And yes I've tried groups.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:45 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
The alternative is fast death. Not my preference, and I like adulthood. Not being under parental thumbs is worth the effort. I should have left home, and much farther away, sooner.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:11 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Adulthood boring?

Hell no! My husband and I are having a blast! It's like we are back in college except we have disposable income! The kids are all raised and on their own, graduated from college, have careers!

We vaycay, go to happy hour, play golf and tennis, sleep late, basically do whatever we want.

Adulthood is the best thing ever!!

This I'm depressed about being 60 because I have so little time left. Life is a great adventure. I wish I had 60 more years. (Can you move into our neighborhood )

Old 01-29-2017, 12:17 PM

409 posts, read 293,274 times
OP, are you in your 20s? If so, it may help you to know that the "quarter-life crisis" is a real thing. Google it. Maybe not everybody goes through these struggles, but many do. I certainly did. Ironically, people who are strivers tend to experience this phenomenon more strongly.

The late teens-early 20s are a very intense time with high emotions and new experiences and there's often a let-down when you graduate, get a full-time job, and are no longer surrounded by peers at the same life stage. It can be lonely and alienating. Know that life won't always be this way. (I'm assuming here that this IS a life stage for you and not clinical depression, though the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.)

Just be careful about making a lot of drastic changes in your life at this stage, because they probably won't stick. You have to get clarity on what's inside you first.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:53 PM

854 posts, read 520,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
OP, are you in your 20s? If so, it may help you to know that the "quarter-life crisis" is a real thing. Google it. Maybe not everybody goes through these struggles, but many do. I certainly did. Ironically, people who are strivers tend to experience this phenomenon more strongly.

The late teens-early 20s are a very intense time with high emotions and new experiences and there's often a let-down when you graduate, get a full-time job, and are no longer surrounded by peers at the same life stage. It can be lonely and alienating. Know that life won't always be this way. (I'm assuming here that this IS a life stage for you and not clinical depression, though the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.)

Just be careful about making a lot of drastic changes in your life at this stage, because they probably won't stick. You have to get clarity on what's inside you first.
I'm 32 😭 I'm a late bloomer though. For various reasons my late teens and most of my 20's were wasted. I didn't even go to college so I missed out on that too. Things have gotten harder friemd wise from 25-26 onwards. Again that's what I don't like about being this age. Most people my age are married and starting families, so I have nothing in common.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:42 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Why is adulthood so painfully boring? I'm at the point where I think virtually all adults suffer from some form of mild to severe depression, sadness or just a closeted disdain for life.

When I was a kid, I used to look forward to being a grownup because I thought that people would stop being mean to each other (and to me). That illusion was quickly shattered when I turned 18 and hit my 20's. People still bully, but bullying takes different forms.

And as an adult, making friends is so much harder. I don't know why exactly. I think people just find a partner and have kids and think they don't need to make new friends anymore.

And what happened to our sense of imagination that we had as children? The ability to just have fun and get lost in your imagination. I still have mine, but I am considered 'weird' for being a dreamer.

Why is adulthood so boring and mundane? We go to work/school, pay bills, have children that will probably end up hating us, them we get old and slowly die. Many of us are ridiculously lonely and miserable, yet the solution is always to throw anti depressants at the problem.

Does anyone else feel the same about adulthood?
No. You need professional counseling.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:06 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
What poster Wildflower said made me smile! That post really showed how life goes on, there are friends to be made, experiences to be had.

No offense intended at all, but, your post points out how perception is crucial to our experiences in life. Your end feeling seems to be one of feeling sad about Wildflower's post, while to me it's a triumphant post! I was so encouraged by it.
No offense taken. And yes, it is a triumph that poster Wildflower succeeded in making a true friend later in life. All's well that ends well, in a sense.

However, that image of a little girl, nine or ten years old, being at camp for a week or more without speaking to another child, sticks in my mind. I am very sensitive to the suffering of children, and that could be the reason I focused on the poster's childhood.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I'm 32 😭 I'm a late bloomer though. For various reasons my late teens and most of my 20's were wasted. I didn't even go to college so I missed out on that too. Things have gotten harder friemd wise from 25-26 onwards. Again that's what I don't like about being this age. Most people my age are married and starting families, so I have nothing in common.
for christs sakes ...you are only 32?? i have cologne older than you!!

if i were a dog...id be 310 yrs old....

dont misinterpret maturity for being boring..

most of us have had many youthful indescretions....that was kinda stupid,,,we learn from them and avaoid them..

yeah,,people mature being late 20's or 30's because theyve learned .. many different excitements can lead to trouble quickly

also keep this in mind.....most people come into their own in their late 20's and early 30's..

meaning they are getting over the b.s. and anchors from their childhoods and early 20's....they look thru their own eyes and not the reflection of others..

you control your own life.....stop comparing to others...
if others,,have kids then yes they are naturally going to be more boring,,,they are parents now

most of the time...you get what you give...smile more say hi.... give someone a smile,,,,,even if its an old person,,,it feels good...

steer your own ship,,,,dont wallow in the currents of others....set goals and work towards them..

im in my early 50's.....i didnt like birthdays in my 40's,,,,, i was feeling older,,,but when i have birthdays now,,,i jump for joy......celebrating i made it this long

wake up in the morning and start saying out loud five things you are thankful for....
appreciate ...dont expect

Old 01-29-2017, 08:25 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
I AGREE I hate paying bills and seeing my tax bills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology