Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 01:54 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's a psychology forum.
It was in another forum when my comment was made; it was moved here recently.

Please read post #187 for clarification.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/65538594-post187.html

Old 07-12-2023, 02:05 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
I don’t need a man either, However I do enjoy my husband of 47 years and he’s my bestie.

I see nothing wrong with people choosing what is best for them be it single or marriage, childless or not.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:19 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisnIvy View Post
I know you can never say never. I've been single for almost 4 years now and within those for years I am more happy than actually being in relationship.

Okay maybe my reason to not want to be in relationship is because of my past relationship and just my observation everytime I am out and about. I've noticed that people are self-entitled and self centered. ( example: hearing a converstion where a person just talk about themselves , parents not disciplining their misbehaving kids, adults acting like kids, etc)

I just dont think I want any drama and to add more stress in my life . Not be negative nancy, for my opinion is just a lot easier and happier to be single than to be in relationship.
There's nothing wrong with being single it's a lot of people that think everyone should be in a relationship because that's just what you do. It isn't necessary.

And a lot of people get this idea that a relationship is Sunshine and lollipops it isn't even the best relationships they're work.

I think too many people who shouldn't have a relationship get into one. And then they wonder what's wrong with them and why they're not like everyone else or like everyone else thinks they should be and it's a whole mess.

So if you're happy being single be single it's okay

Old 07-12-2023, 03:35 PM

595 posts, read 264,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
No... not at all. Tell where what I said is inaccurate, or is this just more female denial or femial?
Mansplaining: the explanation of something by a man, typically to a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing.

Has nothing to do with accuracy and everything to do with spelling out for a woman something she already knows, and that anyone with awareness and zero sexism would KNOW she already knows by virtue of her age, experience, or education.

Old 07-12-2023, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Hahaha it's funny because my relative is always telling me I will need to "get a man" whenever I talk about purchasing a home and taking care of the maintenance. Why get one, when I can pay for one? lmaooooo
My mother used to joke about that. She would say that it's not so much that you pay them to fix something. You pay them to go home when they're done.

Old 07-12-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
My brother's coworkers are telling him to remarry so he has someone to cook, clean, and do laundtry for him. I told him it's cheaper to pay a stranger to do the work, instead of losing thousands of dollars more in another divorce settlement!
Your brother coworkers are exactly why women don't need a man.

But I love the way so many on this thread pointed out that cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, etc. are part of adulting and skills your brother should have mastered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
And the classic, "If you're not with someone you'll DIE ALONE!"

I mean, what does that even mean?

Seems that many people have this "Hollywood" fantasy of when people die, they're supposed to die surrounded by loved ones. Yet, that's NOT the reality of dying.

Even if you're in a relationship, you can still 'die alone'. So, being in a relationship is no guarantee of companionship at death.
I absolutely do not want anyone near me when I die. Do you know the MESS it can make? Seriously! Your bladder and bowel relax. Ewwww...

But also, maybe I'm weird, but I see death as a very personal thing, and while others may want people there, I don't want to share it. Or leave anyone with the vision of me giving up the ghost. I think of what it was like to say goodbye to my pet a few months ago. It was a peaceful death, a good death, sedation and sleep long before the tech came in with the final needle, and still, it haunts me. He opened his eyes right before he passed and looked at me--the vet said sometimes they do that to say goodbye--and I'm so very glad I was the last thing he saw, and chose to see, before passing. But oh, when he closed his eyes and left this plane, my broken, broken heart. And then when I saw how gray his feet had become, because his little heart had stopped beating and there was no more blood flow turning his toes pink...damn, I'm cry-typing...

[A FEW MINUTES LATER...]

Point is, I don't want to leave the people I love with that kind of memory of me. I don't want anyone to close their eyes and see it or have dreams about it. I want them to remember me alive and kickin', not making gurgling noises, gasping for air, looking afraid if that should happen at the last moment, or all stuck full of needles and tubes with things beeping in the background. Yes, they could remember me all sassy and salty, but if they also have the deathy memory, they'll have to actually focus more to call up the sassy ones. I just don't even want the death picture in their minds. No open casket either. Just put me in one of those burial pods that become a tree and should you visit, know that the bird that craps on you from one of the branches is me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
My coworker were just discussing this today. You’re right, women don’t necessarily need a man. Most of us are perfectly capable.

However, teamwork through couplehood gives most people a great advantage in life. It makes life easier. Love is healthy.

Don’t write it off. Instead, think of finding someone in the truest sense of partnership. Let down your walls a little. Be warm. You might get hurt, but it’s worth the risk.
Did ya miss the cooking, cleaning, and laundry above? Because I've never known a man who didn't suddenly "forget" how to do those things himself once he paired up with someone.

Cue all the guys here saying, "not me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
If you don't want to spend the money on Amazon, do this:

1. Turn the pickle jar upside down.
2. Smack it a few times on the counter.
3. Twist open the jar...

Just turn the jar rightside up again before you open it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The world is already full of selfish people, at least those that see what they are, are doing something about it, staying single.
Like some guy out there is entitled to my love, time, money, resources, and body and it's a moral failing to deny them to him.

Old 07-12-2023, 05:56 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
Mansplaining: the explanation of something by a man, typically to a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing.

Has nothing to do with accuracy and everything to do with spelling out for a woman something she already knows, and that anyone with awareness and zero sexism would KNOW she already knows by virtue of her age, experience, or education.
Or a highly prerogative and sexist term used typically by women to shut down debate. It depends entirely on who you are asking, and the context in which the term is used.

Old 07-12-2023, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Or a highly prerogative and sexist term normally used to shut down debate, it depending on who you are asking, and the context in which it is used.
I think it fit perfectly as Pitt Chick used it, and I think Dave didn't know what it meant if he thought she was questioning his accuracy.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:05 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
I think it fit perfectly as Pitt Chick used it, and I think Dave didn't know what it meant if he thought she was questioning his accuracy.

The word Mansplain itself, is sexist as far as i am concerned, it tends to indicate females are simply not capable of making such statement (the definition you gave actually said it must be done by a man).

What would be the female equivalent of the word? Should we be able to use the female equivalent in a moderated public forum?

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-12-2023 at 07:31 PM..

Old 07-13-2023, 05:17 AM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times
No one needs a man or a woman. But many people do prefer companionship and intimacy with someone.

I've been married and divorced, and I learned a very valuable lesson that I rather be single with no kids and happy than married with kids and unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology