Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 11:29 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,359,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No one needs a man or a woman. But many people do prefer companionship and intimacy with someone.

I've been married and divorced, and I learned a very valuable lesson that I rather be single with no kids and happy than married with kids and unhappy.
(re:Bolded) Nothing wrong with that.

To the rest of the post, I can kinda relate. I have not been married, but I have seen things that helped me realize that being single is not a bad way to live.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:55 PM

19,693 posts, read 12,275,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
(re:Bolded) Nothing wrong with that.

To the rest of the post, I can kinda relate. I have not been married, but I have seen things that helped me realize that being single is not a bad way to live.
Different strokes, like everything else. It's bad for some, great for others. Sometimes we just have to make the best of our situation.

I know a woman who prefers to be married. She had a specific life plan, has been married several times and her husbands served their purposes for the time she was with them. I don't know how common this is but probably not that uncommon. I've met women who married guys for purposes of sperm donation basically - planned obsolescence.

I never cared if I was married or not, happened upon the right man and never thought of him having a purpose, he's just him, I'm me and we're compatible.

Old 07-14-2023, 04:26 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,359,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Different strokes, like everything else. It's bad for some, great for others. Sometimes we just have to make the best of our situation.

I know a woman who prefers to be married. She had a specific life plan, has been married several times and her husbands served their purposes for the time she was with them. I don't know how common this is but probably not that uncommon. I've met women who married guys for purposes of sperm donation basically - planned obsolescence.

I never cared if I was married or not, happened upon the right man and never thought of him having a purpose, he's just him, I'm me and we're compatible.
For me, either is good. Being single does have its advantages and disadvantages. Relationships are similar. Being with the right person can make a relationship great even when things get tough.

Being single is something you would have to come to terms with in many cases (What's wrong with me? eic.)

I'm only speaking for myself as a single person.

Old 07-16-2023, 01:02 PM

1,400 posts, read 771,473 times
I was thinking about this last night as I was trying to hang a curtain. It would have been nice to have someone hold the other end.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:41 AM

36,445 posts, read 16,052,777 times
I've been single since 1983 when my second husband died in a motorcycle accident, it doesn't mean I've been alone that whole time. I've had a few relationships, none since 1999 when I moved to NC, just no interest. There is no right or wrong with being single for the rest of their lives.

I appreciate Men and all they have done and built. I am sad to see men dropping out of the trades. I've worked many years in manufacturing and many years in caregiving.

I have a neighbor that can do electrical, plumbing, power washing. My Dad is 94 lives next door. He's active, a custom knife maker and works outside almost daily. I respect him immensely for all his hard work.

Old 07-20-2023, 08:01 AM

29,758 posts, read 34,454,278 times
Quote:
Unfortunately we are seeing more men drop out especially with the trades. We will all pay for that.

It isn't unusual to hear young men who don't feel wanted or needed say they do not want to participate and don't care what happens to our world. Basically due to what the OP has to say.

Men didn't build all this out of generosity.
There are also more women entering the trades. It's a bizarre transactional idea that these young men would only be working and supporting themselves in exchange for what, sex? You work because you're an adult in a capitalist society and have to pay your bills, and even because there's pride in having skills and doing a good job, not because you are rewarded with the attention of another human.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-20-2023 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-20-2023, 08:05 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,735,116 times
Quote:
Unfortunately we are seeing more men drop out especially with the trades. We will all pay for that.

It isn't unusual to hear young men who don't feel wanted or needed say they do not want to participate and don't care what happens to our world. Basically due to what the OP has to say.

Men didn't build all this out of generosity.
This is weird but I'll bite for a second.

Well that's on them. And not just "women" will pay for the fact that men lack any motivation outside of family or control in order to "maintain or build something." They will suffer too. They enjoy these "conveniences and systems they've built" just as much as women do. No one should have to force themselves to be with someone just to keep society going. That's completely asinine and ridiculous. If anything the blame is on the government for building a society centered around patriarchal and heteronormative systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There are also more women entering the trades. It's a bizarre transactional idea that these young men would only be working and supporting themselves in exchange for what, sex? You work because you're an adult in a capitalist society and have to pay your bills, not because you are rewarded with the attention of another human.
Right? I can't believe that someone simply doing for themselves and not relying on romantic relationships to make them happy would upset or scare anyone. Let alone lead to the collapse of a society. It's actually hilarious. Another thing I want to point out is that the focus is so much on sex and romantic love, people completely disregard any type of platonic bond (friends, siblings, kids), let alone allow it to motivate them to do something better. But overall, society keeps going because peopel understand that if they don't work, they'll be on the street. Most people want a comfortable life.

Last edited by Auraliea; 07-20-2023 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.