Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 09:13 PM

2,045 posts, read 794,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Interesting thread...

Once I was on my way to work. As I was crossing a non-busy street to get to my job, I found a wallet lying in the middle of the road. I picked it up and didn't look at it until I got to work as I was running a bit late. Once there, I took a look inside. First I saw a man's drivers license where I got his address. I called 411 to see if I could get a phone number. This was in the late 70s and the operator told me it would be a long distance phone call. I was using a pay phone as my desk phone only was good for calling in company offices. A further look into the wallet, I discovered that he worked at a hospital a couple of towns away. I got the main number for the hospital, called at the payphone, identified myself and gave the name of the man. They said they would give him my message. Fortunately my desk phone allowed for incoming outside calls. He called me less than an hour later. I told him how to find me and he came by. Once he got the wallet, he thanked me profusely.

Another time, years later, I worked at the local library. My job had me bringing in the book drop and taking the books out of it. Several books were lying open. At the bottom of the bin, I found $140. I told my boss who wanted to keep it for office parties. Another co-worker went to bat for me and told her that since I found it, I should get to keep it if no one claimed it. The boss agreed. Since there was no way to know which book it fell out of, the best that could be done was to hold on to it and see if anyone showed up to claim it. As it was, no one ever did show up. I was given the money. Since the boss wanted to save it for office parties, I gave her $20 towards that. Word got around through our library system as to what happened to me. When I had to go to staff meetings for employees in the system, I was surprised at how many people knew what happened.

My husband and daughter who was in elementary school at the time, were out in the car doing an errand. As he got off the main road and on to an interchange, he happened to notice a wallet in the breakdown lane. He pulled over, got the wallet and saw it belonged to someone who was local. As there was exponential growth in the area, he didn't recognize the address. Once he got home, he called the police and told them what happened. They sent an officer to our house to pick up the wallet and told him they would get in touch with the woman whom it belonged to. When they found her, they told her to pick it up at the police station where they gave it to her and gave them my husband's name and our phone number. She ended up calling him and told him that she had stopped in the breakdown lane to check something and had taken her wallet out, put it on the roof of the car and forgot about it. She thanked him and said she hoped that someone would do something nice for him.

And...more recently --- a couple of years ago, we were walking to our local polling place. Since it was raining, I was focused on not stepping in any puddles and checking before crossing streets. We were almost at the polling place when I noticed my husband wasn't right behind me. Turns out, he noticed a wallet lying on the sidewalk, very close to the street. He picked it up and said he would ask at the polling place if it belonged to anyone there. No sooner did he find it when we saw a man who looked frantic. He noticed my husband and was relieved that his wallet was found. Then he checked the contents. Seeing that everything was there, he thanked my husband.

So, yes, when we find wallets, we make the effort to return them to their owners. Same with the cash I found.
I found pocketbooks on two separate occasions. One in the middle of an intersection that I scooped up and one on the side of the road.
The one on the side of the road was an old lady's that had been stolen from church. I called her and she was nervous to come get it, so she sent her son.
The one in the middle of the intersection were people from way down in South Jersey who were up this way, right across the bridge from Philly, at a hall party. There was a number in the bag for the police station down there. I called the number, they took my number, they called the husband, he called me, and they came and got the bag. They offered me $20, but I declined. Somebody broke into their vehicle while they were in the hall.

I found a wallet on my sidewalk and went over and put it in the guy's mailbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post

I don't know what I would do with $500. Look around for a camera to make sure I'm not being punk'd or part of a social experiment, probably. Maybe bring it to the cops.
At first I thought "No way is this real money." I thought it was a gag.

Old 08-03-2023, 09:23 PM

I once found a roll of quarters, minus two, on a payphone.

Old 08-04-2023, 02:35 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,492,945 times
Imagine you're the person who lost the $500. You think to go to the cops. You don't know your money was turned in to them. Are they gonna believe it's your money that was turned in. Are they even gonna tell you if money was turned in. Do you have the serial numbers off the bills?

Old 08-04-2023, 04:02 PM

9,499 posts, read 5,284,526 times
I found a wallet with $3000 in it when I worked in a ski resort. I turned the wallet in to my supervisor; it was later claimed by the owner who'd dropped it. I was a bit miffed that I didn't receive a 'reward,' (back then, I was a poor bus driver LOL) but then, one should not expect a reward for doing the right thing.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-05-2023 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:08 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,804,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Imagine you're the person who lost the $500. You think to go to the cops. You don't know your money was turned in to them. Are they gonna believe it's your money that was turned in.
Possibly. It depends. I mean, if someone loses/turns money in, the police will often make out a report. Date it was lost/found, time lost, location where the money was lost/found ("I lost/found in it in the street in front of 123 Main, between First and Third in Anytown")...whether it was loose bills, banded with one rubber band or paper clipped together, in a(n) (colored) envelope, whether the envelope was 'bill' sized or oversized, whether other paperwork was with the cash....and probably even more questions to boot.

Quote:
Are they even gonna tell you if money was turned in.
As someone else mentioned, often times if money is turned in, it's put in a secure location.

Quote:
Do you have the serial numbers off the bills?
If there's enough other information, you probably wouldn't need the serial numbers.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I found a wallet on the sidewalk near Grand Central Station. I tried to give it to a cop inside and he wanted nothing to do with it.
No cop wants a money-beef.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Not really. Sometimes cops don't want to accept something like a wallet because they fear being accused of taking money out of it, or accepting a bribe.
exactly right. A money beef. Nothing any cop wants!

Old 08-04-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Possibly. It depends. I mean, if someone loses/turns money in, the police will often make out a report. Date it was lost/found, time lost, location where the money was lost/found ("I lost/found in it in the street in front of 123 Main, between First and Third in Anytown")...whether it was loose bills, banded with one rubber band or paper clipped together, in a(n) (colored) envelope, whether the envelope was 'bill' sized or oversized, whether other paperwork was with the cash....and probably even more questions to boot.

As someone else mentioned, often times if money is turned in, it's put in a secure location.

If there's enough other information, you probably wouldn't need the serial numbers.
The PD will also note the denominations. The person who lost the $$ should remember : I had 3 $50s....

Old 08-04-2023, 04:50 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,804,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
The PD will also note the denominations. The person who lost the $$ should remember : I had 3 $50s....
Good point, Riley!

Also gotta take into consideration weather conditions. I mean, the OP may have found $500. But maybe the person who lost the money, actually lost $700, all in in hundreds. And the other two hundreds were 'lost in the wind'.

PLUS, so many people these days have "doorbell cameras."

Again, food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology