Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

in the 7th and 8th grade. One day I knocked the bully's books out of his hands and he didn't even do anything to me but one summer night when he and his friends saw my parents go out for the evening they all started ringing the doorbells and storming our house. they left after awhile. a few months after he rang the bell wanting to speak to me but i would not come to the door.

i went to a private school for a year

after that when i went back to public school the bully had totally changed and never bothered me after that. about a decade after i had graduated from high school i was filling my car up with gas and the bully had said hello to me. it appeared he was the owner of the gas station. a year before that he had seen me on the street and greeted me (he was with a girl, in grammar school he never hung out with girls)

his father had died when he/we was 8 so i guess he had some emotional problems at around 13-14, but by 15 it seems like someone had given him some kind of tough love

but really, even today i am not bullied by others per se because we are no longer in our teens but i still am sensitive to intellectual bullying and people who are underhanded. i often feel emasculated. probably the reason i have never married, i just picture more feelings of emasculation both in a relationship and out of it too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Some bully's are more turned on by a person anger towards them than their fear, They expect the fear but an angy person with nowhere to turn is something that gives them a rush.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:39 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Between 6th and 10th grade, I had everything from paper wads to ratchet bits thrown at me in school. (Yeah, somebody brought in ratchet bits specifically to throw at me.) I had the books knocked out of my hands and kicked down the hall. I finished multiple fights that other people started. I never swung the first fist. Everything I did was in self defense. I didn't date during that time because I didn't want any girl I might have been with to deal with even half the **** that I dealt with on a near-daily basis. But that's assuming that any girl was even interested in me, which probably wasn't the case. My "first date" didn't happen until college.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:05 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Most everyone gets bullied a bit if you stick out in any way. Some get it much worse than others.

I was raised very straight-laced Christian and on top of that was in all the gifted programs etc. (Nerd-city) so that sure didn't help. I got to take gym with the kids a year or two older than me all through school as well LOL...yeah that was an adventure. Fortunately, I had an aptitude for wrestling which meant by junior year and giving beat downs to a few bullies picking on my friends I never had to deal with it again.

One of the bullies was always violent and controlling, eventually killed themselves years later after getting involved in some trouble and knowing they were heading to jail for what they did.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:10 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
I never got bullied in elementary or middle school. But I did receive some bullying in the 9th grade and some part of the 10th grade. But nothing major, I didn't let it bother me. I think it was because I was physically awkward looking, very skinny and had weird hair.

But I've grown out of the awkwardness now, I gained weight, cleaned up my appearance (cut my hair short, wear nice clothes) and have become more confident and I haven't had any more issues with bullying since.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
I was. I remember standing up to one guy after I had enough..We had a 45 minute fight in the schoolyard. Ended in a draw. He got kicked out of school sometime later.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:52 PM

97 posts, read 146,004 times
So your parents told you to stick up for yourself? You guys had some great parents, not the case with me.

My parents came from a really conservative background, they were raised in a foreign country where bullying a kid was unheard of and where teachers handled everything.

Now I was always held under the microscope, teachers would watch over me excessively and if I would even say one bad word then it would a major issue. I was excessively bullied for attempting to date interracial, the girl said yes but the guys of her background had a major problem with it.

I was pushed around a lot in junior high from 6th to 8th grade, when time came for high school, I went from being an A student in middle school to a C one my first two years of HS, my final two years I made A's but the bullying hurt my academics. I am finally about to move out of this town but I wish I would have done something to the bully, happy to finally get out of here but my parents were on the main reasons I stayed the bullied kid.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:02 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
I wasn't bullied in the traditional sense, but I was made fun of. Most of the time it wasn't directly to my face, but snide comments behind my back or just loud enough for me to hear. I think what saved me from full on bullying was the fact that I had the best grades and everyone knew it. They thought they might have a chance at copying, I guess. I wasn't cool or popular and never really fit in anywhere, and I was overweight.

I remember being out on a walk around town one day and we walked past the house of one of the popular girls. She and her friend were there and yelled out the window at me "you're fat!" This was probably 15 years
ago but it sticks with me to this day.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:12 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Nope, not at all. I threw the best parties

Somehow I was popular in High School, although I never cared about that stuff, I just liked to drink and party. I was always someone to stick up for the geeks of the school, it bothered me when someone would try to pick on them just to look cool so I'd always make them look worse.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:24 AM

404 posts, read 1,148,083 times
I was bullied a little in high school because I was one of the only Asians in the whole school. I often was called Jackie Chan or Jet Li. I eventually earned the respect of most of my classmates because I stood up to the bullies and shot jokes back at them. But I can resonate with these kids being bullied because you don't want to have to tell your parents or teachers. You dont want to be seen as a weakling who runs to the teacher for protection. I like how the media has put the spotlight on bullying and hopefully it makes bullies more aware of the consequences before teasing another kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology