Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:15 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times

Advertisements

We have been staying and looking in the Cape Coral, FM area for the last several months. Didn't like FM at all. CC has some things we like, but we've heard we might find a better fit with Punta Gorda.

So we're going to take a drive tomorrow and have a look around. I'd appreciate some suggestions about condo communities we should look at. Our requirements (generally) will probably be:

• built after 2005
  • availability of nearby marina or dock (extra points for deeded dock space included with condo)
  • Water access - we fish, and don't need sailboat access.
  • Hi-rise, mid-rise or low-rise - doesn't matter, but we are finding that the low-rises tend to have the deeded docks.
  • Views, preferably of the water.
  • Pricing for a 2 bedroom unit up to about $250K
  • Stable condo assn.
Don't care if it's gated, but must have secure parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 05:12 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We have been staying and looking in the Cape Coral, FM area for the last several months. Didn't like FM at all. CC has some things we like, but we've heard we might find a better fit with Punta Gorda.

So we're going to take a drive tomorrow and have a look around. I'd appreciate some suggestions about condo communities we should look at. Our requirements (generally) will probably be:

• built after 2005
  • availability of nearby marina or dock (extra points for deeded dock space included with condo)
  • Water access - we fish, and don't need sailboat access.
  • Hi-rise, mid-rise or low-rise - doesn't matter, but we are finding that the low-rises tend to have the deeded docks.
  • Views, preferably of the water.
  • Pricing for a 2 bedroom unit up to about $250K
  • Stable condo assn.
Don't care if it's gated, but must have secure parking.

I just sent you a DM with a good suggestion foro PGorda.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I just sent you a DM with a good suggestion foro PGorda.
I just sent you a PM regarding a weird coincidence about Hendersonville, NC that is noted in your profile. . . .

Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Here are some options to consider:

Water Gardens Condo, Sailboat access, community pool, built in 2007 and running $170k-$175k

Outlook Cove condos, assigned sailboat access docks, wide canal, brick pavered pool, built in 2007, Priced $170k-$190k.

Grand Isle Towers, sauna, gym, private movie theater, social room with pool table, sailboat marina access, golf, waterfront access, tennis court, community heated pool, built in 2005. Priced $250k-$270k.

Grand Cove Condos, fishing pier, community heated pool, docks, built in 2006, priced $165k-$260k.

Fountain Court, clubhouse with fitness facilities, tennis, heated pool, shuffleboard, built in 2005, priced at $157k-$240k.

Estuary South, Waterfront, deeded boat dock, community pool, built in 2007, Priced from $170k-$230k.

Esplanade at Burnt Store Marina, close to boat ramp, community heated pool, fitness center, tennis, golf, priced $150k-$230k.

Costa Bella, deeded boat slips on sailboat canal, community pool, built in 2007, priced $200k-$220k.

As far as the solvency on each complex, that would need to be handled on a case by case basis if you found one or two complexes that interested you.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:54 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
I know of one in Burnt Store Marina at Harbor Towers. It has been completely remodeled and is on the 7th floor. It has new 42" hardwood cabinets, granite counters, stainless steel appliances, new marble floors and carpet. There are great views from the lanai-terrace overlooking the community and golf course. It also includes remote control storm shutters. Even the terrace has ceramic tile. It is a 2 bed 2 bath split plan. On the back side of the building is the marina. There is regular parking or covered parking available for an extra fee. The community has a pool, hot tub, 550 boat slip marina basin, 27 hole golf course, 2 restaurants and a ship store. It is a gated community with HOA fees.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:54 PM

SoFlGal & TamRE - thanks for the info. We took a ride up there today. We didn't realize that Burnt Store Marina is about ten miles away from civilization. The only restaurant nearby was the one in the planned community, and I guess there's a sandwich shop nearby at the golf course. That's not for us.

We did like the downtown/Fisherman's Village area of PG, and will be looking at that area a little more closely. Might even revert back to a canal home, if it's on a small lot. Overall, we found the PG area to be much 'nicer looking' and kept up as compared to CC. Still have older homes next to newer homes, but the older homes look like they've been renovated and taken care of (which is not always the case in CC).

I'll be looking at these communities a little more closely - thank you!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:24 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
SoFlGal & TamRE - thanks for the info. We took a ride up there today. We didn't realize that Burnt Store Marina is about ten miles away from civilization. The only restaurant nearby was the one in the planned community, and I guess there's a sandwich shop nearby at the golf course. That's not for us.

We did like the downtown/Fisherman's Village area of PG, and will be looking at that area a little more closely. Might even revert back to a canal home, if it's on a small lot. Overall, we found the PG area to be much 'nicer looking' and kept up as compared to CC. Still have older homes next to newer homes, but the older homes look like they've been renovated and taken care of (which is not always the case in CC).

I'll be looking at these communities a little more closely - thank you!
JK,
I live in PGI, and if you have any questions feel free to ask. You can also DM me asking about anything you need as well. I have lived here for a few years now, and since I'm a history buff, I have learned a lot about this small town. It is great there is so much going on. The life style of living here is grea. I bike to farmers markets in town every Saturday and Sunday, they have a lot of great parks all over with things of interest. Music, Art, Food and Ethnic Festivals, Air Shows, Boat Shows, and other activities that are fun. The civic association here is very active and has a lot of members that do dinner clubs, dine arounds, lunches, tennis club, boat club, fishing club, poker club, dive clubs, cruisiing clubs as well. Then on your own you can bike, boat, fish, kayak the many canals, and travel easily to the beaches. The town has great restaurants, if you noticed they don't have any chain restaurants in the town itself. They do a great job keeping it nice, and it has been epanding with style since the hurricane despite the economic downturn.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I agree, Burnt Store is nice, awesome in fact if all you do is boat and golf, and want to drive to everything else. PGI rocks, and the help you found here on this page so far - well you can't beat them!

Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
If you are considering Punta Gorda, here is some information.

Money Magazine has named Punta Gorda as one of the best places to live in America several years in a row. Why? The city has been transformed since hurricane Charley in 2004. It has a charming and historic waterfront with restaurants and shops. Boating and fishing are also major attractions. The harbor leads out into the waters of the Gulf of Mexico. It has clean air, 129 square miles of sparkling water, sunshine, and a sub-tropical climate. The crime rate is low and it offers great values on waterfront properties.

The city is located on the shores of CharlotteHarbor in sunny Southwest Florida between Sarasota to the north and Ft.Myers to the south. It is a destination for visitors, residences, and businesses alike. CharlotteCounty has approximately 17,000 people, including young families, singles, and seniors. The city is convenient to airports such as CharlotteCounty, Southwest Florida International, and NaplesMunicipalAirport.

Punta Gorda is considered a waterfront paradise. You can find affordable living in single family homes, mobile homes, townhouses, and condos.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Okay, folks who know Punta Gorda and / or know real estate: Get out your crystal balls. I'd like your opinions - and I recognize that it's an opinion not a fact. But you guys know better than we do, so I'm listening carefully.

We like PG - but need more time to really research the area. Where do you think the prices will be be in 12 months? Up, down, about the same? What about inventory for newer condo's and houses on a waterway (canal) in the $150K to $250K range?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:19 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Well, I like to rely on my little crystal ball called the MLS. Here's some history for you:

Punta Gorda condos for the last year:
Apr 19th-May 19th-29 sold-Median list price is $139k and median sales is $130K.
May 19th-June 19th-17 sold-Median list price is $185k and median sales is $170k
June 19th-July 19th-22 sold-Median list price is $185k and median sales is $171k
July 19th-Aug 19th-11 sold-Median list price is $140k and median sales is $134K
Aug 19th-Sept 19th-15 sold-Median list price is $145K and median sales is $143k
Sept 19th-Oct 19th-16 sold-Median list price is $134k and median sales is $124k
Oct 19th-Nov 19th-10 sold-Median list price is $178k and median sales is $160K
Nov 19th-Dec 19th-22 sold-Median list price is $152k and median sales is $137k
Dec 19th-Jan 19th-10 sold-Median list price is $106k and median sales is $102K
Jan 19th-Feb 19th-24 sold-Meidan list price is $118k and median sales is $110k
Feb 19-Apr 19th-23 sold-Median list price is $115k and median sales is $112k

As you can see the prices took a dive and they are coming back up...slightly. Really they've been bouncing quite a bit lately. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the average sales price will be in the $150's in 12 months.

I think the inventory will be down in a year. Of course, this is just a guess. I've been watching the foreclosure stats and the amount of homes coming on to auction has taken a huge dive. I haven't been getting near as many foreclosed homes to list and my asset managers at the banks say they are incredibly slow.

Also, as I've mentioned on a previous thread, people are beginning to talk about building again. I haven't heard any talk about building in 2-3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte