Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM

142 posts, read 164,629 times

Advertisements

I was told that in North Port, you are supposed to get a 99 dollar permit to replace a water heater. LOL does anyone actually get a permit if they can do the work them self? So you can't toss your carcass in the trash as I am also told that the trash man will turn you in if you do not have a sticker that says you go a permit. If they can make Hoffa disappear I think I can get rid of a hot water heater. LOL. Now I am by no means a Conservative but this is taking government way too far. What next, a fine for using three sheets of toilet paper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 12:00 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
I was told the same thing, supposedly it's to "protect you". I'm with you, NOT getting a permit for something we can do ourselves. Get rid of the body any way you know how. I've never heard of anything so stupid in my life to be honest. Oh and the toilet paper fine is for 4 sheets just so you know.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:12 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Some people actually do pay for the permits esp if they cant do it themselves & have to hire a pro or a handyman. I believe here in yucaipa,ca the greedy city requires a permit as well ($80.00). I sure wouldnt pay it.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 AM

971 posts, read 1,452,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
I was told that in North Port, you are supposed to get a 99 dollar permit to replace a water heater. LOL does anyone actually get a permit if they can do the work them self? So you can't toss your carcass in the trash as I am also told that the trash man will turn you in if you do not have a sticker that says you go a permit. If they can make Hoffa disappear I think I can get rid of a hot water heater. LOL. Now I am by no means a Conservative but this is taking government way too far. What next, a fine for using three sheets of toilet paper?
In our Missouri county they sneaked in P&Z Planning and Zoning which requires a permit for any repairs done to your home. Change a door knob .... permit, paint your house ....... permit, you get the picture. The courthouse people already make more money per hour than us private sector people and now they think up ways to get more money from us.

AND OUR TAXES PAY THEIR WAGES!!! YOU STILL WANT BIG GOVERNMENT?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:28 AM

142 posts, read 164,629 times
At least if we had national health care I get something for my tax dollars. I don't mind some tax if it fixes the pot hole in my road. But a fee so I can put basically an appliance in my home that does absolutely nothing for me? Thats over reach. Bluff, are you kidding me? A permit to paint? LOL and who would pull a permit to paint especially inside the home, and what about people who are just eking by and can maybe afford a spot of paint but not an extra 80 bucks for a stupid permit made by people with asses the shape of their chair?.

I was also told I had to bring up my set up to code, I.E. heat expansion tank, new back flow valve. bla bla bla. That would add about 125 to the job and do nothing for me. I have a ABF valve already on the system and I don't need another. The heat expansion tank is so if something happens the heater goes wild it can take up pressure, but in all my years of having a hot water heater, some 50 to be exact I have never had one and don't need one now. I don't know how we all survived so far with out them. LOL

I already have a salvage yard lined up to dump it at. I was also told by the lady at Lowe's that I need what she called Heat nipples, I was a bit confused at first then I realized she did not know what she was talking about and they were dielectric nipples to stop the milavoltage from attacking the metal. In all my years of owning a hot water heater some as old as 25 I have never used these things and never had a problem.

I lived in a deed restricted sub in Kansas [Wichita] and thought it was regulated, I put siding on my home and painted and they did not ask for a permit, not for a water heater or new shingles. If I changed or added to the structure in any way but thats where the government should step in to make sure its not going to encroach on property lines and its built to code.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:02 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
try Charlotte county, they want a permit for breathing !! and and a license for everything ...now I agree that certain trades should be licensed and regulated, BUT when you a) have to get a handymans license to be -well a handyman and then that doesnt cover PAINTING (yup you need a painters license) you have to belive its over kill. I mean if a handyman cant paint he aint that handy !!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:07 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
In our county we have to have an inspection after the water heater is installed. As I remember, I don't think there was any charge. But we plan to sell, so I'm doing things by the book... Our city picked up the old water heater, for about $25. Not too bad, but we did have to haul it to the curb.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:23 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Here are the items that require a permit in the City of North Port:
www.cityofnorthport.com

What do I need to obtain a building permit?
You will always need the parcel ID number and your lot, block and addition. You can get this information from your tax bill, or by calling the Sarasota County Property Appraiser's Office at 861-8200.

You will always need a completed building permit application. Application forms are available at the Building Division, located on the first floor of City Hall (4970 City Hall Blvd.) or by going to the Application Forms For Permits.

IMPORTANT: The builder who does the work obtains the permit. If someone offers to do work for you but does not want to pull the permit, that person probably is not licensed. You will then be responsible for the work. In each and every case, whoever pulls the permit is responsible for the work.
If you are building a house, you will find our check list to be very helpful.
If you are adding a shed or a fence, you will need 4 copies of your site plan showing where the shed or fence will be placed along with the set backs from your property lines (both sides and rear). If you are erecting a shed other than those purchased in kit form, then we will need plans and engineering information.

If you are adding on to your home, we need 4 copies of your site plan showing where the addition will be, how far from your lot line it will be, and building plans (3 copies of each please) — just as though you were building a new house. We also need to know who will be doing the work.

4 sets of plans are required when a right-of-way is needed, otherwise, 3 sets of plans are sufficient.

Commercial Permit Applications: Because they are more complicated than any other type of permit, we require you to call and make an appointment for submitting commercial permit applications. Please call 941-429-7044.
[NOTE: Site plans are most useful if you make a copy of your survey and indicate on it where you plan to place the shed, addition or fence]

Water heater change-outs and air conditioning change-outs require only a completed permit application.

Building code information may be obtained at the following web sites.
www.boaf.net www.myflorida.com www.floridabuilding.org

Old 06-12-2012, 05:35 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
in theory permits are good as it requires an inspection and essentially protects someone against themselves. people take on tasks around the house that they have no idea of what they are doing and can potentially kill themselves or others.

problem is that these permits have become a revenue generator. sometimes the permit actually costs more than the work.

big government at work. listen to joe the plumber when it comes to permits and plumbing

Old 06-12-2012, 06:31 AM

260 posts, read 562,778 times
Put the water heater on the curb a day after the trash goes out. A metal scrapper will pick it up long before the trash man gets it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte