Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,779,323 times

Advertisements

Was that one of your girls on NBC2 talking about the event?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM

260 posts, read 563,406 times
We didn't know about the swim, and we're running the boat from the Harbor up the river, about a mile before we got to the swimmers, a FWC helicopter dropped down on us, and motioned for us to slow down. I was bit confused, but complied. I could tell something was going on up by the bridge, but had no idea it was a pack of swimmers.

I can honestly say, that is the first time that a helicopter has ever pulled me over on land or sea.

As we slowly weaved our way thru the swimmers, I saw a young woman swimming with her baby who couldn't have been more than 6 months old, with the baby sitting in a little pool float.

I couldn't help but think how stupid it was to do that. Or how stupid it was to swim across the harbor at all, let alone during a thunderstorm, on the busiest boating ( and drinking) day of the year.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,965,614 times
And I thought sharks might be the dangerous part.....how dumb was that?

Old 07-08-2012, 06:46 AM

260 posts, read 563,406 times
I don't really care if people swim across the harbor. But I thought taking a baby in a pool float, wasn't all that bright.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:23 AM

Thought I'd revive this thread for the 22nd Annual Freedom Swim today.
After years of wanting to do it, this year I feel in-shape and ready to do it so I will.
Anyone else going? We will also watch fireworks from the water for the first time; taking my neighbors Power Cat, complete with a cabin to get out of any possible rain.
You can also watch from any number of locations at and around Fishville. It's usually a great show there.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 AM

413 posts, read 828,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Thought I'd revive this thread for the 22nd Annual Freedom Swim today.
After years of wanting to do it, this year I feel in-shape and ready to do it so I will.
Anyone else going? We will also watch fireworks from the water for the first time; taking my neighbors Power Cat, complete with a cabin to get out of any possible rain.
You can also watch from any number of locations at and around Fishville. It's usually a great show there.
Do you have a gopro camera? Would like to see the event from a participants perspective.
I may give this a try when we finally make the big move.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:01 AM

5,176 posts, read 4,949,447 times
I see where officials have closed the Port Charlotte Beach Complex to swimming due to high bacteria levels. Will they still allow the Freedom Swim to go on??

Old 07-04-2013, 06:02 AM

230 posts, read 407,536 times
Bah... to soon for me. I just moved in 2 days ago and have movers and TV guy coming today and I still have things at the U-Haul storage I have to get. Next year for sure.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I see where officials have closed the Port Charlotte Beach Complex to swimming due to high bacteria levels. Will they still allow the Freedom Swim to go on??
Hmmmm...didn't know this before your post. Thanks.
I went to the county's public health website and it gives the report info.
Here's a link. http://www.myfloridaeh.com/beach_sam...e=&CPIorderBy=

They don't plan on re-testing until Monday, with results posted Tuesday. I guess I'm out. I travel for work too much to take a chance on getting sick. Will still enjoy fireworks from the boat.

Last edited by Messing About; 07-04-2013 at 06:47 AM..

Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,028,207 times
I'll be there. The girls will be paddling across in a blow-up raft, some friends will be on kayaks and I'll be shuttling them all there with my pontoon boat. Hoping to stay out for the fireworks....if they're not rained out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte