Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 8,683 times

Advertisements

We're just starting the search for a Florida vacation home that will be used sparingly now (teens are still in school), more when the youngest graduates from high school, and extensively, though not full time, once we retire. Husband and I are both mid-50's, and he wants to buy now because he thinks the market conditions and interest rates are right. We have not chosen a town - we're considering anything on the west coast from southern Sarasota County to Naples, although I'm not keen on Naples. We both like to golf, although I think we can find golf without a problem just about anywhere in Florida. We have a boat that doesn't see much use right now; we enjoy boating but it's not a requirement. While the kids might like the beach, I can't see DH and I going to the beach often, so close proximity to the beach is also not a requirement. On paper, I find Punta Gorda (particularly PGI) very appealing. I love the water views and the fact that it seems like a friendly small town. Husband isn't sure why we need to be on a canal if we're not avid boaters, but judging from prices I've seen in places like Naples and Bonita Springs, I'm not sure you're paying a huge premium to be on a canal in Punta Gorda.

I'm planning a trip by summer's end to familiarize myself with areas we might be interested in. In the meantime, any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Also, do the square footage numbers in Florida real estate listings include any outdoor space? I know there's "wasted" space in houses, but some of the room square footages I've seen don't add up to even half of the total square footage shown. In our area (northern IL) the numbers come much closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
In the Florida MLS you will see homes listed as Heated Sq Ft which is anything under air. Then you will see Total Sq Ft which includes a screened lanai, the garage or any other unheated/un-air conditioned space.
Here is the link to search for homes in the MLS: Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS

Money Magazine has named Punta Gorda as one of the best places to live in America several years in a row. Why? The city has been transformed since hurricane Charley in 2004. It has a charming and historic waterfront with restaurants and shops. Boating and fishing are also major attractions. The harbor leads out into the waters of the Gulf of Mexico. It has clean air, square miles of sparkling water, sunshine, and a sub-tropical climate. The crime rate is low and it offers great values on waterfront properties.

The city is located on the shores of Charlotte Harbor in sunny Southwest Florida between Sarasota to the north and Ft. Myers to the south. It is a destination for visitors, residences, and businesses alike. Charlotte County has approximately 17,000 people, including young families, singles, and seniors. The city is convenient to airports such as Charlotte County, Southwest Florida International, and Naples Municipal Airport.

Punta Gorda is considered a waterfront paradise. You can find affordable living in single family homes, mobile homes, townhouses, and condos. Or you can purchase moderately priced luxurious waterfront homes and condos in upscale and gated /golf communities.

Here are some links for Punta Gorda if you want to research more information about Punta Gorda and Punta Gorda Isles:

City of Punta Gorda: City of Punta Gorda Florida
Punta Gorda Isles Civic Associatoin: Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association

Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 PM

55 posts, read 235,471 times
Punta Gorda will be even more appealing to you in person then on paper! Before we relocated 7 years ago from the northeast, we did a LOT of homework looking throughout areas of Florida. Our list included Ormond Beach, Ormond by the Sea, Venice, Naples, Cape Coral and Punta Gorda. Hands down, Punta Gorda is probably the finest place to live in Florida overall. If you are a beach person.....you need to look at Venice. Punta Gorda has a small area that is like a beach near Ponce De Leon Park which our son absolutely loves, but for a real beach day we drive to Boca Grande which is an easy 45 minute ride. If you are looking at Punta Gorda Isles, then I would HIGHLY recommend Burnt Store Isles as well which is also deed restricted waterfront housing in the Punta Gorda city limit. What you will find remarkable in this area versus others that you may go to is how well kept the homes are overall. You get that gated community look and feel in a city with a lot of amenities. The police and fire department is second to none (and no I don't work for them) and the response times are fantastic while crime rates are low. That is something that you have to greatly consider since your house will be empty most of the year, and Florida is filled with lots of lovely criminals who love to do burglaries. After weeks of searching, visiting the Walmart and Publix Stores to see who we'd be shopping with...Punta Gorda came in 1st by a long shot. There are lots of great older folks who live here who are not snobby like you see in Naples. As a younger family, we are surrounded in PGI by older neighbors (most in their 70's) who treat us like family. The only thing that I can tell you is that PGI does have some older "sections" which are not as nice as the newer built sections, so some areas are much prettier and well kept then others. Almost all of Burnt Store Isles is newer built and I don't know of any older areas in that section...but you have a longer ride out from your house to open water in your boat. Good luck!!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 PM

8 posts, read 13,645 times
Default living west coast flordia

have you check out englewood and rotonda area.. it right near punta gorda, to the left when look at google map.. rotonda is the wagon wheel feature you see on sat view.. if you like golf there are 5 course in the wheel feature.

i love the myfloridamls site.. you an put in max price, bedroom and baths wanted and the location drops show up. you can click or just hover to see info.

we vacationed near englewood on the manosota key area of the gulf and did some driving around.. we fell in love with the place will all the different areas The place was all laid out sometime in the 30;s to 40 i believe.

prices seem to be lower than punta gorda, port charlotte area in just looking throught the mls site mentioned.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:23 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,787,772 times
One plus having your boat on. Canal even if you arnt avid boated is you eill. E a le to lre easily use it when you do then if it was on a trsilor or marina (fees) so you are
More apt to use it then if you didnt have a canal.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:12 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
I second the rotonda thought.
1st LOTS of golf courses.
2nd cheaper than PGI
3rd 15 mins to Boca Beach (and you WILL want to go there)
4th 20 mins to any shop , Pc and North port
5th its a heavy vacation area -if you wanted to you could rent your home out
6th close to marinas for boat storage, 20 mins and you are out on the ocean

7th and most important we live there and Big House doesnt. He is in PGI . your stocks of beer (particularly Yeungling) would never be safe

Old 07-13-2012, 08:14 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
the square footgae given is usually the 'under air'

add on garage, front porch, lanai (even pool)

the ccappraiser site gives you full areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte