Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 PM

159 posts, read 693,204 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the info TamRE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 AM

397 posts, read 813,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
I can see if you are worried about junk piling up like the typical port charlotte house, but to not allow somebody to keep a well kept boat on their property is insane. Some of those RV's you like to complain about cost well over double your home's value as well... I am not talking about old dirty junk here, I am talking nice newer things. I can appreciate keeping things nice, I prefer to as well and do NOT appreciate the insinuation that I am some redneck dirtbag who would clutter his yard up with garbage just because I would like to keep my property at MY house..

"Typical Port Charlotte house" I live in Port Charlotte and the neighborhood is well kept. Maybe you should try another state.

You sure as hell aren't making too many new friends on here.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:53 AM

I should have use a different word, "typical" is something an old friend from the area and I say when discussing the current state of things compared to how it used to be. I lived here in the late 80's, early 90's and while there are some VERY nice areas now, many of the houses in the heart of Port Charlotte (older now, of course) and what used to be the "nice areas"- Deep Creek, the beach side of Harbor, out off Suncoast, etc., are getting pretty run down. Moving out from the center to a lot of the newer developments is a completely different story, but not a lot of families with young children in those areas from what we have seen, mostly retirees (no offense meant to retirees, just makes it tough to find somewhere for the kids as well).

With a name like "oldfart", you are obviously older (retired maybe?)- so you probably do not live in one of the areas I was referring to, being younger with children makes it hard to find a very nice area to live in and still have plenty of kids around for our kids to socialize with. If we didn't have children, it wouldn't be as difficult to find a more upscale neighborhood to live in.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 AM

397 posts, read 813,732 times
Sorry 'bout jumping down your throat. And, I'll probably offend someone else, but if I were young with young children, this is the last place I would want to be. I live between Midway and Peachland. I see 1 (one) school student walk down our street.

As far as the area not being what it used to be (I've only been here over a year) I think alot of that has to do with the lousy economy. There are tons of vacant homes. And the ones who have managed to hold on to their homes, no longer have the income to maintain them the way they would like to.
That's no reason to have a junk yard around your home. Having a boat in your yard that you haven't used in two years, is a junk yard. Having a boat that you use every other week, is not.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart1947 View Post
Sorry 'bout jumping down your throat. And, I'll probably offend someone else, but if I were young with young children, this is the last place I would want to be. I live between Midway and Peachland. I see 1 (one) school student walk down our street.

As far as the area not being what it used to be (I've only been here over a year) I think alot of that has to do with the lousy economy. There are tons of vacant homes. And the ones who have managed to hold on to their homes, no longer have the income to maintain them the way they would like to.
That's no reason to have a junk yard around your home. Having a boat in your yard that you haven't used in two years, is a junk yard. Having a boat that you use every other week, is not.
There are actually plenty of kids around the area, but a lot of the families I see raising them are questionable at best. Lots of people who shouldn't even have a dog raising multiple children. Then again, I guess that is everywhere these days .

We came down here because I liked it back in the early 90's, my inlaws moved to Fort Ogden from NY (wanted land and peace and quiet), my mother moved to Salt Springs (outside Ocala) and my father lives in West Palm. Inlaws moved down shortly after our son was born and between us wanting him to be near family and my memories of Port Charlotte, we decided to move here. I don't know, maybe the area hasn't changed a lot and I'm just looking at it through different eyes now, but it just seems that there's a lot of scumbags (there I go offending now..) in our age group in the area. I'm not talking about income levels or the economy (though it's damage is obvious ), I am talking about character. Like you said, there is no need for a bunch of junk to be sitting around your yard.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:29 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
I used to live in the gardens of gulf cove a deed restricfed devolole t tere was a older area out front and.newer bomes in the rear. You could keep. Boat on your property ss long as it was. Eho d the front line of yohr house snd i. The lroper set acs on the side. A nice eat area U used to have tons of kids come at boloeee. Id run out of candy. It was. Lose to the bost ramp in eljobean also. After moving to this side of town off edgewater i dont get a single kid at holoween. So maybe look there for the kids.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 AM

From what I was able to make of your post, thank you . We will expand our search out there as well!
Joe

Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 PM

18 posts, read 34,532 times
Default Gimme some Respect

I'll bet 3 months after you buy your house, you'll meet up at a Bait shop or bar
and you'll both be saying how you like where the other guy lives. Sometimes there's
more there than meets the eye, until later...
The explanation was surely offered to be helpful and to explain why he likes Deep Creek.

Y'know someone really likes to see that Monstuh Truck in their neighbor's yard, but its
not everyone's cup of tea. At least you can see it coming before you buy...But, you never really
know your neighbors until you live with them - and they might become like family. So I
guess you have to ask the tough questions and hope people will be honest about their
point of view.

Good Luck with your home search. Plenty of good Realtors in the area.

Happy to be living here,
Charlie

Old 07-28-2019, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 485 times
Just moved to Deep Creek and based on comments I've read I'm not sure how scared I need to be of the HOA Mafia! I couldn't find info on temporarily putting up a popup tent/gazebo in the back yard. Only found info on a permanent pergola or arbor but I want to put up a temporary gazebo. Any insight? Do I get fined? Shot?

Old 07-28-2019, 02:38 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbaxman View Post
Just moved to Deep Creek and based on comments I've read I'm not sure how scared I need to be of the HOA Mafia! I couldn't find info on temporarily putting up a popup tent/gazebo in the back yard. Only found info on a permanent pergola or arbor but I want to put up a temporary gazebo. Any insight? Do I get fined? Shot?
You might want to contact HOA for updates as this thread is 7 years old and I’m willing to bet not up to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte