Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 PM

162 posts, read 302,450 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Contemplating a move over to the left coast from Fort Lauderdale. Previously, I was thinking we would keep our sailboat at a marina, but looking at prices on waterfront homes, I think we'd be able to swing it on the low end!

So, can someone point out all the waterfront neighborhoods with deep water canals with no fixed bridges (or at least 55 ft and higher fixed bridges) that are in Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, and the other areas thereabouts.

My sailboat draws 5' and has a 52 foot mast, but someday I'm looking to upgrade...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 01:27 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,029,874 times
There are plenty of sailboat areas with no bridges to the harbor, but most have barely 5' at low tide in the center of the canals.... you will probably have to dredge in front of your dock too.

On the PC side there are great sailboat houses near the Port Charlotte beach complex that would be no problem for your boat and seconds to the harbor (that would be my first choice). The O'Hara area might fit the bill but it's a further trip out and can get shallow for that boat. On the other side, parts of Punta Gorda Isles should be deep enough.

I'd contact one of the local sailing clubs and talk to some members.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:01 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,557,138 times
In Punta Gorda Isles one main road in is West Marion which leads from downtown Punta Gorda to Ponce de Leon Park to the west. This road is one dividing line for sailboat homes versus power boat homes. All homes on the north side of West Marion are sailboat homes and this area is considered the “Old Sailboat Section”. Another main road that runs north to south is Bal Harbor Blvd. which intersects with West Marion. Generally speaking the south and east quadrant formed by these two streets is known as the “Power Boat Section”. There are several canals that lead out to the harbor from these homes and they all must pass under West Marion. These are “Power Boat Homes”. The BRIDGE HEIGHTS and BRIDGE WIDTHS vary slightly from canal to canal.

Punta Gorda Isles and Burnt Store Isles canals generally have a minimum of 8 feet in the center of the canal and 10-15 canal depths are quite common in many of the canals. The canal exist’s offer different characteristics. The northern exists of many Punta Gorda Isles homes are Bass Inlet, Sailfish Inlet and Tarpon inlet. Large sailboats, trawlers and sportfisherman are often seen traversing these inlets. The western exit for many homes in Punta Gorda Isles is via the Ponce de Leon Inlet. This inlet is essentially a natural river that winds its way to the harbor. It is well marked with day markers outlining the channel. Canal dredging is occasionally performed to maintain adequate depths. There are no bridges and deep draft boats, sailboats and large power cruisers can be seen leaving their home port.

Burnt Store Isles (BSI) canal systems exit via Alligator Creek. Because of the strong tidal flow in the creek care is needed to follow the channel markers out. While driving through BSI you will see a variety of sizable craft from large sailboats to power boats.

The major road in to Port Charlotte waterfront homes is Edgewater Drive. Edgewater generally runs east to west and creates a dividing line between sailboat waterfront homes and power boat homes. Boaters leaving from homes on the north side of Edgewater have at least one bridge to go under which is Edgewater Drive. Depending on the canal location there may be one or more bridges to pass under. The homes that are on the south side of Edgewater before reaching Midway are SAILBOAT WATERFRONT HOMES. There are several sections: One is locally known as “Doctors Row” which are the homes located on the side streets off of Edgewater to the east of Harbor Blvd. These sailboat waterfront homes have super quick access out and deep water.

Another sailboat waterfront area is known as the Port Charlotte Beach Complex area. This is located off of Harbor Blvd., south of Edgewater. This is often known as the New Sailboat section.

Port Charlotte canals depths vary depending on the canal. The “old sailboat section” located to the south of Edgewater Drive has deep water canals that exit directly into Charlotte Harbor. Generally, you will find over 7 feet of draft in these canals. Sailboats are moored up and down these canals with street names such as Beeney, Bangsberg, Cousley, Croop, Small, Frye Terrace and the like. These are the deepest quick access canals in Port Charlotte and are perfect for the sailboater or power boater that requires a deeper draft. Other sailboat access waters are off of Harbor Blvd. south and offer a little longer boat ride time out with good water depths. Perhaps the best way to size up the neighborhood is to drive the streets and see the various types of vessels that are moored behind the boats.

Information courtesy of Captain Chuck Eichner.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 AM

Incredible responses...*THANK YOU*

Any thoughts/considerations to South Gulf Cove area/neighborhood? There appears to be a lock there, but interesting community at first glance!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:46 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,097,226 times
PGI has a lot of houses with sailboat access to the harbor. Punta Gorda (Isles) is a nice little town, with a lot of things going on all the time. Check it out.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:12 AM

518 posts, read 1,232,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Incredible responses...*THANK YOU*

Any thoughts/considerations to South Gulf Cove area/neighborhood? There appears to be a lock there, but interesting community at first glance!
Hi, I own 2 lots in South Gulf Cove. I used to have a sail boat and its draw was 4.6 ft. You have to stay in the middle of the Santa Cruz waterway. Its about 6ft deep or more. If you buy up buy the lock you should be Ok. They are going to widen 771 to four lanes by 2015 and I think a second lock will also get approved at the south end. You can get some good bank deals right now. Most of the houses off the main canals with no seawalls have only 4 ft depths and with a seawall about 5 foot depths. If I were going to own a sailboat again in this area of Florida I would own a hake 32 it draws less than 2 foot board up. It is just to little of water everywhere you go around this area to have fun with a 5 ft draw. You will find realtors will call anything without a bridge sailboat water. So always check with a depth finder on a low draw boat anything you want to buy from your dock to open water to be sure you like the water depths. Good luck

Old 09-28-2012, 11:40 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,029,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
..... It is just to little of water everywhere you go around this area to have fun with a 5 ft draw. ......
I agree, if you don't know the harbor very well, but once you learn the shallow areas it should be no problem navigating out to the Gulf. I prefer a swing keel so you can motor through the low spots if needed. Someday I'd like a big catamaran....

Old 09-28-2012, 03:38 PM

Selling the sailboat I have right and buying another isn't going to be possible. So the question is, with a 4'9" draft, and a 12' beam...would it still be possible to be in the communities mentioned??? I saw a youtube video of a powerboat traversing the locks and it seemed aaawful tight. I'd be wider! NOAA charts make it seem like plenty of sailing area in the 5'-6' draft area in the harbor.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 PM

700 posts, read 1,820,818 times
To throw another angle I thought about today. The winter blow out tides really drop the water level. You'd probabaly be moored in the harbor during this time or just tied to the sea wall. Skinny water here. How bout a McGreggor with a big a$$ outboard on it? Or a Cat?

Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,789,930 times
One thing i can add. Ive got a customer with a hunter 45' with a 14'beam 5' draft on a canal west of bal harbor in PGI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte