Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 AM

96 posts, read 350,219 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are snowbirds in Burnt Store Marina for the fourth year. Yesterday my sister and brother-in-law were visiting and we rode the free bicycles that a city group provides. We rode from the hospital to Fishermen's Village for lunch then returned. We took the bike path along the waterfont. Along the way we listened to a banjo band that was performing in the park. I just want to acknowledge the city leaders who provide this unique bicycle service. A great way to attract visitors to the downtown! I also want to acknowledge the city leaders for the wonderful waterfront facilities. You guys really have done an outstanding job of taking advantage of the waterfront setting! The ride along the bike path was a real pleasure. Hats off to everyone involved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Here is a blog I wrote previously about the bicycles in Punta Gorda. Get out and enjoy!!!

A vision of the city of Punta Gorda is to have over 15 miles of bicycle and pedestrian trails and paths that will connect the neighborhood, the parks, and the commercial areas as a ring around the city. The different phases of the plan are being implemented as funds become available with expected completion by the end of 2012. The funds are coming from multiple sources such as Federal Transportation Funds, 1 cent local option infrastructure sales tax, and private sector funds.

There are four routes that are part of the plan which are being created in stages. One is to link Linear Park to the northern end of the U.S. 41 multi-use recreational trail. A second one is linking the eastern end of Linear Park across U.S. 41 past the historic Punta Gorda Railroad Depot in the historic eastern neighborhood of the city. A third one links the eastern end of Linear Park through downtown to Laishley Park. And the last one is joining the eastern extent of Harborwalk south to the northern end of U.S. 41 multi-use recreational trail. To see a map of the plan and photos of some of the existing routes, go to the City of Punta Gorda web site at http://www.ci.punta-gorda.fl.us/depts/growthmgmt/ringaroundcity.html

In connection with the ring around the city, TEAM Punta Gorda has developed a bicycle loaner program. Their goal is to encourage bicycling and promote tourism. There are several locations throughout Punta Gorda where you can borrow and use a bicycle. Some of the participating locations are Charlotte Regional Medical Center – Wellness Center, Laishley Municipal Marina, Four Points by Sheraton, Fishermen’s Village Marina, Isles Yacht Club Marina and the Wyvern Hotel. To learn more about TEAM Punta Gorda and some of their efforts go to their web site at http://teampuntagorda.org/.

Punta Gorda has received honorable-mention recognition as a “Bicycle-Friendly Community” by the League of American Bicyclists. Whether you like bicycling or walking there are current trails to try out and the completion of this project will make your trip even more enjoyable. Take a walk or ride and get some exercise at the same time. Don’t forget, if you have friends coming into town or you don’t own a bike, borrow some bikes for free.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
We enjoy riding bikes along the PG waterfront as well. Unfortunately, the gorgeous waterfront is very UNDER-utilized, in my opinion. It has so much potential (and I'm not talking about more commercial building). But it's nothing in comparison with the complete WASTE of waterfront across the bridge in PC, where it's 3/4 mile of park that is mainly used by the homeless. Waste of valuable resources.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:41 PM

100 posts, read 335,329 times
I didn't know that Punta Gorda had a bike loaner service. This is great to know! We like to walk along the waterfront, but it would be nice to ride a bike for a change. So I can go to any of these places "Charlotte Regional Medical Center – Wellness Center, Laishley Municipal Marina, Four Points by Sheraton, Fishermen’s Village Marina, Isles Yacht Club Marina and the Wyvern Hotel" and ask about their free bike rental service?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 PM

96 posts, read 350,219 times
Yes, the locations you listed have the bikes. It appears that each location has about 4 bikes. We went to the Wyvern then Laishley and they both had no bikes available. They were being used. We went to the Wellness Center and they had 4 bikes although one of the four was a three wheeler. The bikes are the old fashioned balloon tire type, but the four bikles we used were all in excellent condition and were very easy to ride. Helmets are available at each rental site. All they require is a copy of a drivers license plus full out and sign a brief form. It was a little dicey to get from the Wellness Center to the start of the bike trail. Had to cross Olympia and Marion, two very busy streets. It appears that during the busy season they could use a few more bikes.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:31 PM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
We enjoy riding bikes along the PG waterfront as well. Unfortunately, the gorgeous waterfront is very UNDER-utilized, in my opinion. It has so much potential (and I'm not talking about more commercial building). But it's nothing in comparison with the complete WASTE of waterfront across the bridge in PC, where it's 3/4 mile of park that is mainly used by the homeless. Waste of valuable resources.
I couldn't agree more. I'm dumbfounded as to how the element of those using the park changes so drastically by simply crossing the bridge. Sad.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
One of the groups I'm a part of helped sponsor the idea of the free bike loaners, and have provided an number of the bikes that are used in the program.

At last report, over 17,000 riders have used them this year.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,422 times
we are looking to "borrow a bike" to ride around the water front and enjoy the day....did I read correctly, Four Points have them.....I do see lots of people riding all over, what a fantastic idea....please respond.....my email...mslucyf@aol.com....PLEASEEEEE!!!!!reply L Flatow

Old 03-11-2014, 12:54 PM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucy flatow View Post
we are looking to "borrow a bike" to ride around the water front and enjoy the day....did I read correctly, Four Points have them.....I do see lots of people riding all over, what a fantastic idea....please respond.....my email...mslucyf@aol.com....PLEASEEEEE!!!!!reply L Flatow
Yes, Four Points has them. Here is a link to all of the locations where you can borrow a bike: TEAM Punta Gorda

Old 03-11-2014, 05:27 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,629,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I couldn't agree more. I'm dumbfounded as to how the element of those using the park changes so drastically by simply crossing the bridge. Sad.
That's why we on the south side of the bridge are so happy it is as long as it is.

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte