Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:53 AM

535 posts, read 1,031,659 times

Advertisements

Apologies to daFrogMan for completely blowing his thread out to an entirely different subject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 06:56 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
Rat i agree on the 4 ways but it can be a pain when people space out so dar you cant make it and it is now a short cut everyone thinks going home cutting of 41 thiugh ive seen cars that went the other say meet up with me again. At flamingo ect.
And i heard the 1% sale tax has funded it.
As far as the. Noise cars travle prety fast now I sold a house across from a lake on a main route and all i heard from potential
Buyer was oh the road and im thinking great price to get on a grewt lake.
And are tou guys talking of the bridge on pelaham blvd that verry small and not even needed

Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post
I need the pellam bridge done
Pellam is not being changed. The 4-lane widening is only taking place between Harbor and Midway, so only the three bridges between there have to be upgraded.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:00 AM

I was talking about the bridge on Edgewater that crosses Pellam waterway

Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
I don't see why Edgewater needs them, the traffic is normally light and runs pretty smoothly through the 4-ways (which I actually hate, but work). Old people + snow-birds + bad drivers + rotary = one heck of a cluster ****. The single road handles traffic just fine, no need to widen it to 4 lanes.

There must be a surplus of money that needs to be spent, cause I can think of many better things the city should splurge on. Wider bridges? By a few feet? Why? I don't want tractor trailers driving down Edgewater, do you? If you lived on Edgewater, would you want most of your front yard taken away by Eminent Domain? If you live in any of our quiet areas near Edgewater do you want to hear traffic from it all night that a four lane road will bring? People will be cutting through from 776 to 41 non-stop...why do we want that? Even if you are nowhere near Edgewater your taxes will go up to pay for all this work.

Leave Edgewater Dr the way it is, for the most part it is the least trashy of all major roads in PC, and I'd like to see it stay that way. I didn't move to a quiet area to end up 3 blocks from a major highway, which it sounds like it will be someday!

Ok, rant over...I forget what this topic was even about .
This project is already a done deal. Been in process for nearly 3 years. No property tax payers dollars supposedly being used (tourist and sales tax). I went to the informational meeting last summer at the beach complex and also asked why this was needed. I was told it is for "future residential traffic" meaning they are expecting more and more traffic as baby boomers retire and move south. They have the funds now, so they want to get it done now and use the gov't grant money given back in 2011 for this project.
The homes on the south side of Edgewater do NOT own the first 50ft of frontage, according to the county. The county owns it and always has. Nobody is "taking" property through eminent domain.
Regarding the bridges, this project has nothing to do with bridges, other than they must be replaced since the roadway is being widened. The main purpose is to widen the road. The bridge heights will only be raised by a few inches, NOT feet. I was hoping they could be raised to 12 or 14ft like in PGI, but was told that type of incline approach is no longer allowed in bridge construction. They guarantee no bridges will be lower than they are currently. Regulations do not allow decreasing a bridges height. I was very adamant about this since I need every bit of 10ft my bridge offers! 3-4 inches higher and I will never have to worry about summer high tides again

Now, back to harbor fishing

Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post
I was talking about the bridge on Edgewater that crosses Pellam waterway
That bridge is 10ft clearance at mean high tide. Like most of the PC bridges. That's the highest we have here. I have a radar arch (9ft 9in clearance) and make it under there.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:24 AM

700 posts, read 1,818,969 times
Even though this thread has strayed, I still enjoy the information about the widening of edgewater.
Rock Creek, if they do raise the Pellam bridge, you still have to go under the Midway bridge of which I'm pretty sure is the exact same height of Edgewater.

To stay on track, going out again today to try our luck again. TippieCanoe produced squat!
Thx

Old 03-15-2013, 09:55 AM

Thats true Frogman it just seems shorter for some reason My SeaRay with the binini up seems to just squeak under Edgewater and have good clearance under Midway just an optical illusion I guess

Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
This project is already a done deal. Been in process for nearly 3 years. No property tax payers dollars supposedly being used (tourist and sales tax). I went to the informational meeting last summer at the beach complex and also asked why this was needed. I was told it is for "future residential traffic" meaning they are expecting more and more traffic as baby boomers retire and move south. They have the funds now, so they want to get it done now and use the gov't grant money given back in 2011 for this project.
The homes on the south side of Edgewater do NOT own the first 50ft of frontage, according to the county. The county owns it and always has. Nobody is "taking" property through eminent domain.
Regarding the bridges, this project has nothing to do with bridges, other than they must be replaced since the roadway is being widened. The main purpose is to widen the road. The bridge heights will only be raised by a few inches, NOT feet. I was hoping they could be raised to 12 or 14ft like in PGI, but was told that type of incline approach is no longer allowed in bridge construction. They guarantee no bridges will be lower than they are currently. Regulations do not allow decreasing a bridges height. I was very adamant about this since I need every bit of 10ft my bridge offers! 3-4 inches higher and I will never have to worry about summer high tides again

Now, back to harbor fishing
Thanks for the info HH. The eminent domain part...I was going by what a friend of mine said. He had a house near the Spring Lake ramp and received a letter from the county saying he was about to lose X amount of feet off his property but would be "compensated" at "fair market value". He sold the house right after that. It seems all projects like these claim to be without using taxpayer money...until the time comes and they go over their budget by 4x, then all bets are off.

I'm taking some friends on the boat today, I'm going to try and get some fishing in!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Thanks for the info HH. The eminent domain part...I was going by what a friend of mine said. He had a house near the Spring Lake ramp and received a letter from the county saying he was about to lose X amount of feet off his property but would be "compensated" at "fair market value". He sold the house right after that. It seems all projects like these claim to be without using taxpayer money...until the time comes and they go over their budget by 4x, then all bets are off.

I'm taking some friends on the boat today, I'm going to try and get some fishing in!
The only eminent domain that I'm aware of is where the idiots are putting in the traffic-slowing roundabouts. Those require more property and I think two vacant lots had to be purchased (done a while back). Roundabout are GREAT if you know how to use them, but most people don't and freaking stop when entering and all the way through. There is NO stopping at/in roundabouts, only yielding! there, my rant is over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte