Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 PM

108 posts, read 272,432 times

Advertisements

talked to Verizon today, I can get high speed internet and phone for $45 month with no contract.....which means I can activate it when I'm there and put it on vacation when I'm gone. that sounds like a good way to fly! anybody doing this? happy with Verizon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 05:54 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
.......Whoever you end up with look into buying your own modem. All the companies charge about $7 a month for the rental, but you can buy one for under $100 new. I bought mine for $1 at a yard sale...yep, one dolla...saves me $7 a month.
Can you buy a modem if you have phone service through Comcast as well or is the modem only good for TV/internet?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:02 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
I have Comcast and I get 28MPS download and 5 MPS upload. It is rare that I have ever lost connectivity. I conduct all my work over the internet so I do at least 60 hours a week on it. I don't like their customer service but they have the fastest option available to me in PGI.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:56 AM

I'm planning on using the same wireless router I used last year when I had Earthlink.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:45 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by higelj2 View Post
talked to Verizon today, I can get high speed internet and phone for $45 month with no contract.....which means I can activate it when I'm there and put it on vacation when I'm gone. that sounds like a good way to fly! anybody doing this? happy with Verizon?
Verizon has Fios high speed (fiber optic) service in some areas and DSL in others. I had both and have been happy with both. Very rare for service outages. If you have to call them for any kind of service they can be a pain because they are so big that they often give wrong info or canned responses that aren't helpful. For example, I once had an internet outage for a few hours and called them about it. They had a custr srvc rep from India walk me through troubleshooting/resetting my router and running outside to the Point of Interface box. It took a long time and the issue was never resolved. They simply said they were putting in a ticket and it was to be resolved by next day, I think. A few hours later internet was up and working normal. I called them to inform them it's back up and to close my ticket. They didn't properly close the ticket and a technician rang my doorbell the next day..he was there to work the ticket. Also the next day I read in the newspaper that a Verizon line was cut as part of some earthmoving going on in a new subdivision and something like half the town didn't have service for several hours. You would think when I was on the phone with the person from India that they would have known rather than spend an hour on the phone with me resetting my configuration too identify whether the problem was on my end. The service was already out for quite some time when I called so surely thousands of other people had the same issue all in same area.

Regardless, I am happy with Verizon because outages are very very rare and the speeds are good for internet.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:20 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Can you buy a modem if you have phone service through Comcast as well or is the modem only good for TV/internet?
Sure, I have phone service also. The modem I found at a yard sale was the exact same RCA modem I was renting from comcast, but other brands are ok too as long as they are on the compatible list on the Comcast website.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:25 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by higelj2 View Post
That is a great deal if it is FIOS, but for that price I'd bet it's dsl. I believe their dsl is about 6mbps download, compared to 30+mbps for their FIOS. Still fast enough for most people if you are not planning on streaming too much at a time (netflix, games etc). Just surfing the web, you won't even know.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:34 PM

DSL will be fine for me....no streaming for me yet.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:17 AM

7 posts, read 8,839 times
I work from home (software eng) and need 100% reliable fast internet. I am on my 2nd season with Comcast and so far so good. 30mbs you get what you pay for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte