Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:22 AM

7 posts, read 13,188 times

Advertisements

Just want to Thank everyone for your help in the past! We are in Rotunda West and have totally fallen in love wih area! We are looking at lots here and would greatly appreciate any info you can offer, good or bad! I read the flood insurance thread...are the new maps available? Are they online, or is there a county office where you can view them? Wow! So much to do! Thanks in advance for any info you can supply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
New flood maps won't be available for some time...

Old 11-06-2013, 07:53 AM

518 posts, read 1,231,439 times
A lot of the land in that area has very high sewer and water tap fees. Make sure your electric is right in front of the lot and is very cheap to hook up to. Florida power has become very greedy on what they charge you to hook up to the power. Even if the power line is right in front of the lot make sure your neighbor didn't bring it down the street at a high cost. They have 2 years to recoup money from you for connecting to the line. Sewer and water in some areas can be around 11,000+ and it grows in cost every year you don't build per lot just to hook onto the system. Then you have to lay the line to it. The cheaper the lot the higher these fees will be. If you build just build up off the ground a lot and you will be covered for any FEMA problems down the road.Good luck.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:43 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
funny enough I was doing the same yesterday, looking for a site for my model/spec home to build. if you would like some info PM me and I will give you my phone number .....

Old 11-06-2013, 06:25 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Are you buying a lot to build now or in the future? Most builders will offer to do a free feasibility study for you. Get costs involved such as impact fees, utilities fees, etc. directly from the builders. The Charlotte Desoto Building Industry Association has a lot of information and resources as well - Charlotte Desoto Building Industry Association - Consumer Resources.

For flood zones go to www.floodsmart.gov.

Additional information can also be found on the Charlotte County Building Department web site- Building

You also want to check with the Rotonda West homeowner association for building requirements, deed restrictions, guidelines, etc. - http://www.rotondawest.org/

Some FAQs from a local builder.

What does lot preparation entail and how much will it cost me?

Lot preparation includes
  • The clearing, filling, compaction, of the Lot
  • A stem wall, if required
  • Underground electric, if desired
  • The septic tank
  • Sewer hook up
  • The water supply
  • Impact fees
These costs will vary depending on the elevation of your lot, the availability of water, the type of septic required (ATU septic tanks are almost double a standard septic tank) and how much the county is charging for impact fees.

What is a stem wall foundation and will I need one?
A stem wall foundation is most often needed in Charlotte County in flood zones. You will know after you get a survey of your lot. Ask your real estate agent what flood zone you are in before purchasing your lot. Flood zones A & AE need stem walls 9 out of 10 times and zone X usually does not. Depending on the size house you choose, the existing elevation and the required elevation will determine if and how many courses you may need for a stem wall. Find out if a stem wall is needed before you sign a contract.

If I own a double lot how will it affect the cost of building?
Double lots can affect costs in several ways. You may be required to have extra landscaping to meet code, or you may not be required to provide as much landscaping if you are able to keep enough trees on your second lot. Of course your land clearing cost will go up if clearing the second lot. Sod will be required on all cleared land except planting areas, some builders include sod for the standard sized lot, and the extra will be at your expense. You may save money by not needing as expensive of a septic tank (however your second lot will be unbuildable in the future.)

Old 11-07-2013, 05:41 AM

7 posts, read 13,188 times
Thanks Guys! TamRE and Mr&Mrs Sunshine, I will be in touch with you. Going crazy here and loving every minute of it!

Old 10-31-2014, 11:21 AM

47 posts, read 107,094 times
I heard from a landscaper that works in the Rotunda area that the home owners association is floating the idea that all homeowners must remove all Brizilian Peper trees of face fines.
If your building new, that might not be a big deal since you will be clearing the land anyway. But if your looking to purchase of an existing home, that could be a hidden expense you might want the seller to take care of.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:13 PM

459 posts, read 585,782 times
Probably a "landscaper" looking to BS some work up ...

I'd think it a pretty tough haul for the HOA to require you to do that after the fact ....

Old 11-01-2014, 05:02 PM

281 posts, read 406,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bundz View Post
I heard from a landscaper that works in the Rotunda area that the home owners association is floating the idea that all homeowners must remove all Brizilian Peper trees of face fines.
It was in the latest newsletter. If the property owners do not remove them the HOA will have their contractor do it and you will be charged.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:02 AM

459 posts, read 585,782 times
I must have missed the one about all homeowners being required to do this.

In August, based on the new amendment, the HOA will require all VACANT LOTS to be cleared of the pepper; however, I don't know if that notice went out or not. I guess that could extend to built properties as well but I don't see a lot of peppers by homes. It will be interesting to see if the larger property owners like Cape Haze will say no ... changed the terms after the fact .... will be interesting to watch.

If it were up to me I would require every lot owner to maintain their lot and not take a portion of my fees to maintain the lots for absentee owners who are speculating. The HOA could still mow but the vacant lot owners should also pay a mowing fee and the entire HOA would only pay for common areas. The mowing cost is substantial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte