Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 06:39 AM

180 posts, read 450,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinpoolguy View Post

FYI, I'm part owner of a pool store in the Orlando area. We are the anti-retailer. We offer online pricing in the store and don't have a sales quota. We offer real advice from years of experience.

When I hear things like "Salt shares a number of characteristics with other TDS (totally dissolved solids)." I have to realize who's out there talking. What does that mean? It's a component of the TDS of the water. It doesn't share anything.
"Characteristic", in this instance, means an attribute that is simlilar to other TDS...... or a trait shared in common. You should know that!

Your store sounds great. I'll bet if I lived in Orlando, I'd be doing business with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 02:38 PM

19 posts, read 24,328 times
Once again, it's a component of TDS when it's in the water. Just like calcium.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:44 PM

67 posts, read 114,655 times
I had a salt water pool in Palm Coast Florida...LOVED IT!! Best thing I ever did was to put it in.....Now I am in Port Charlotte and my pool is a regular chlorine pool...Hate it...we are converting it to salt water.....we only run the pool (salt Water) 6 hours a day....it DOES NOT cost us more money to have a salt water pool....We had our pool for 4 years in Palm Coast and regularly cleaned the cell when the control panel said it was time to clean the cell....never had aproblem....DEFINITELY LESS MAINTENANCE....In my Opinion......Cant wait to have it switched at the end of December....also putting in solar heat...as that's what I had before.....I miss swimming in my pool...its too cold right now!!!...

Old 11-05-2015, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 709 times
Default Salt water pools for condo's

I live in a condo, two buildings,forty-two units. The pool is saltwater, yet chlorine is added weekly. The summer months few people are in the pool. More in the fall and winter season. There is often so much Chlorine in the pool that the scent cannot be washed off your skin or out of your clothes. I have learned that I have developed a chlorine allergy. Itching and breakouts. I was told by the HOA president that chlorine is necessary because too many people use the pool. Can anyone tell me of the accuracy of that. This is a large pool and spa because it was built expecting that there would be eight buildings before the crash.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:45 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
A saltwater pool has a chlorine generator that turns the saltwater into chlorine.
If they have to add Chlorine to the pool it means that either the chlorine generator is to small for the pool, it needs to be replaced or there is not enough salt in the pool to allow the chlorine generator to work.

Gary

Old 11-05-2015, 06:09 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
With heavy use, any pool needs to be shocked. A chlorine generator can't produce that level of chlorine, so they shock it with the regular hypochlorite solution.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:14 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Or it means the titanium plates in the chlorine generator have become inhibited by calcium deposits and need to be cleaned in muratic acid, which didn't happen for us until the 14th month after install. Easy fix, generating free chlorine again.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:02 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
I am using chlorine at present ..I have been interested in a salt system but never spent the time investigating it. I have in the past used Baquacil good product but not cheap.. I find generators capable of supplying my pool for in or around $800 and replacement cells for in or around $400.. How often do the cells need replacing? Where and how do you store the salt? How long does 40 lbs of salt last? I guess I was always turned off about the system because it.... "seemed like" I could hear always the cha-ching cha-ching song playing in the back ground as I talked to the pool store employee..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Or it means the titanium plates in the chlorine generator have become inhibited by calcium deposits and need to be cleaned in muratic acid, which didn't happen for us until the 14th month after install. Easy fix, generating free chlorine again.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:32 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
I am using chlorine at present ..I have been interested in a salt system but never spent the time investigating it. I have in the past used Baquacil good product but not cheap.. I find generators capable of supplying my pool for in or around $800 and replacement cells for in or around $400.. How often do the cells need replacing? Where and how do you store the salt? How long does 40 lbs of salt last? I guess I was always turned off about the system because it.... "seemed like" I could hear always the cha-ching cha-ching song playing in the back ground as I talked to the pool store employee..

I'm with ya here Mac - From what I see, the salt generators are generally good for 5ish years. Replacement is around 4-500. I think you only dump salt in once or maybe twice a year. (I'm just going on what I was told here... no experience with it yet but my friends swear by it)

I think a conversion to salt on a "normal" sized pool (16000 or so) can probably be done for 1200.00ish without a new pump or heater.

I'll probably jump when we stop bleeding money from moving.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:44 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
The main reason people like the saltwater is because the water feels different. Some describe it as softer.

There is also a claim that your eyes won't burn because there is no chlorine in the pool......well a saltwater pool still has chlorine and if your chemistry is wrong your eyes will burn.
If your water burns your eyes then you are using too much chlorine and your PH is out of whack. Your PH should be 7.4 to 7.6,

As far as cost of chlorine vs salt I believe the cost of chlorine is cheaper than the cost of the conversion and a new chlorine generator every 3 to 7 Years at $400 to $700 a pop.

So you still want a saltwater pool because it feels nice........then put salt in your pool!

That's right put salt in your chlorine pool up to a level of 2000ppm and it will feel just like a saltwater pool.

Gary

Last edited by MartyGras; 11-05-2015 at 09:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte