Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:49 AM

51 posts, read 121,901 times

Advertisements

Greetings ,

I have so many questions swirling ing my mind, before moving.

But, one of my TOP questions are- Are there neighborhoods, in North Port, that are nicer, than others?

We are looking for friendly families, to get along with. Neighbors that my kids can play with. I want to look forward to coming home to my new home, everyday. Smile and wave to my neighbors.

Are there a number of parks in North Port, for the young kids?

What are the people like?

And, one more.question- how are.the schools?

Some huge worries, that have been keeping me up at night.

Any insight, will be wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,292 times
If you go just about anywhere off of Cranberry the homes are really nice, we live off North Cranberry, homes seem to be newer on this end than the south end. I have not yet met a neighbor that we didnt like. Everyone is friendly and helps each other out when needed. The kids play in their yards, streets and all seem to get along fine. Our street is a mix of all ages so its nice. From what I have seen the area off of chamberlain also looks very nice. Also off of Price looks good. I'm sure there are a lot more good areas these are just from my personal experience.

I do not care for the area off 41 up around Pan American but just my two cents, I don't know anyone that lives there.

I don't have children but the neighbors seem to be happy with the schools.

The day we moved in we had several neighbors come Intoduce themselves and offer help. I like it here.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
When I lived in North Port I lived off of Toledo Blade Blvd near Kenvil and I loved the neighborhood. Our street was mixed with families, young couples and retirees. I have sold homes all over North Port and most people are very happy where they live. The only issues I have run across are not the neighborhood location themselves, but the type of neighbor such as being messy, loud, etc., which you cannot control only to a certain extent within the City of North Port ordinances.

The North Port Schools are wonderful. I taught at North Port High and substitute taught in the elementary schools. Some schools had more friendly teachers than others, but not all of them open up to a sub. A lot of the schools are newer too.

North Port has parks and playgrounds and sports activities. There are 2 community parks, 3 sports parks, 10 neighborhood parks and 6 specialty parks in North Port. There are a lot of things for kids to do and get involved in. There are the YMCA, Boys and Girls Club, Morgan Family Center, and the George Mullen Activity Center.

Some web links:
Sarasota County Schools - Sarasota County Schools, Home
City of North Port - North Port, FL : Home
Chamber of Commerce - North Port Area Chamber of Commerce - Events Calendar

Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM

697 posts, read 1,170,390 times
I second & third Cranberry, Toledo Blade & Price. Why, cause we moved there !..and we have a 11 year old boy .

I spent eight months researching every place from North of Tampa to Fort Myers...North Port fits the most of my needs/wants...with fiscal value.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,292 times
To add, we were planning for 6 years, went as far as buying a piece of property in Port Charlotte with the intent to build but when the time came we decided that North Port was where we wanted to be. We are both so glad that we made this decision. I wasnt the one that wanted that lot but I was kind of persuaded into it. Glad it didnt happen.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM

51 posts, read 121,901 times
Thank you, all! I love that your neighbors came and said,"hi!"

So which elementry schools would be considered the better ones? I will be moving into which ever district has a better school choice for my kids. Or private school, for them. Education is HUGE, for us!
Thank you, for all the info.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,928,205 times
Hey there!

I live in North Port and have three kids who have attended many of the schools in the area. I get many requests for the area between Toledo Blade Blvd to Hillsborough Blvd. to Sumter Blvd to I75.

I'm pretty honest about the schools and I'll tell you if I've had a bad experience. I've tried Toledo Blade Elementary twice and both times I've had a bad experience. I've heard good things about Cranberry and Lamarque Elementary.

There's also the option of Pine View School, which is a full time gifted school in Osprey. My oldest graduated from Pine View and my middle girl went there for six years. The main draw back is the 30 minute drive and they don't get out of school until 4pm there. It cuts into a lot after school activities. The school is free is your child qualifies and is a good fit for some but not for all.

I can answer most questions about any school in the area. Most likely, I've attended the school, my kids have or I have friends whos kids attend.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 PM

137 posts, read 331,354 times
North Port has some older sections, and some newer sections. Which section you go with depends upon your budget. If you can afford a 2002 or newer home, you'll get the best insurance rates, plus most likely be in an area of newer homes. North Port began life in 1959 as North Port Charlotte and remained a sleepy bedroom community for the most part until the real estate boom years began in the early 2000's. In 1998 there were barely 20,000 people living here, today there are close to 60,000!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 AM

697 posts, read 1,170,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepHome941 View Post
In 1998 there were barely 20,000 people living here, today there are close to 60,000!
And growing, despite some people's determination to put us down

Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
The school districts are set up much different down here than they were up north when I lived in NY. Up there the school districts were by city. Down here they are by county. Sarasota County Schools are a good school district to send your kids, but some of the schools do have differences.

I substitute taught in all of the elementary schools in North Port. Glenallen and Toledo Blade are the older two elementary schools. They both have new principals since I was there. As the city of North Port was growing they added 3 new elementary schools. First Cranberry, then Lamarque and then Atwater. I have heard good things about all three of the newer schools.

Recently I have had a lot of buyers preferring Atwater. There is also a new middle school near Atwater. There is only one high school and that is North Port High. My grandson went to Lamarque Elementary and loved it there. When he moved from North Port to Sarasota he wanted to go back to Lamarque. He not only liked the school better, but the teachers as well. That includes his classroom teacher and specials teachers. Look into the after school programs at the different schools too if that is something you might need. Some have before and after school care for a small fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte