Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Oh, I'm very familiar with "the drill", but for a freekin' screen door? I mean really...
Why not just replace the door? It was existing, who would know if it was replaced, other than you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 12:01 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
That is done a lot.. same goes with Water Heaters .. If a scraper picks it up before garbage pickup , I would guess no one is the wiser. But again , it is as has been said already a CASH COW.. If the Average permit was say $150 ( does that sound fair? ) and it takes 15min's travel and 15min's total time on site ( am I being generous enough?) you can then do 2 an hour 8 hours a day .. Humm see why some cities can afford to outsource this and they and the company both make money 16 x $150 = $2400 a day x 5 =$12,000.00 a week.. Nice money if you can get it : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Why not just replace the door? It was existing, who would know if it was replaced, other than you?

Old 03-27-2015, 12:33 PM

5,167 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Not looking to replace my existing front door; it's just fine. And, as an added bonus it swings IN, whereas I believe newer code dictates they swing OUT. At least with an inward swinging door you can have a screen door and get more breeze blowing through the house, which was the main reason I wanted the screen door in the first place. Not sure how you would do that with an outward swinging door other than by installing a screen enclosure around the entrance way.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:12 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,631 times
Most main entrance doors swing in, there is no new code I am aware of for a door to be an outswing!
Best of luck with your project

Old 03-27-2015, 02:03 PM

6 posts, read 4,734 times
Wife and I just purchased a house in Punta Gorda--I will be replacing a few doors---you guys are freaking me out here. You mean I can not just go to Lowes and get a door and hang said door myself? Without a permit? We are even in a deed restricted community. I'm thinking maybe I should have dug a bit deeper here?

Old 03-27-2015, 02:30 PM

747 posts, read 1,011,432 times
I believe you need a permit if buying Grey Poupon. Regular French's mustard, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_n_Mary View Post
Wife and I just purchased a house in Punta Gorda--I will be replacing a few doors---you guys are freaking me out here. You mean I can not just go to Lowes and get a door and hang said door myself? Without a permit? We are even in a deed restricted community. I'm thinking maybe I should have dug a bit deeper here?

Old 03-27-2015, 02:52 PM

249 posts, read 321,385 times
Mike: don't frett too much. You can do this with a little bit of advanced planning. I highly recommend paying cash for the doors so they can't be traced back to you. I also suggest you purchase them in another town so you aren't recognized.
Once you have the doors, plan on bringing them home under the cover of darkness. I also suggest you set up a diversion so those who might report you will be focusing their attention elsewhere.
Just to play it safe I would also carve some bogus dates into the doors. Make sure the dates are prior to your home purchase so you don't get blamed for the code infractions.
And what ever you do my friend, don't whisper of word of this to anyone!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:58 PM

390 posts, read 608,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktobob View Post
Mike: don't frett too much. You can do this with a little bit of advanced planning. I highly recommend paying cash for the doors so they can't be traced back to you. I also suggest you purchase them in another town so you aren't recognized.
Once you have the doors, plan on bringing them home under the cover of darkness. I also suggest you set up a diversion so those who might report you will be focusing their attention elsewhere.
Just to play it safe I would also carve some bogus dates into the doors. Make sure the dates are prior to your home purchase so you don't get blamed for the code infractions.
And what ever you do my friend, don't whisper of word of this to anyone!
This is a joke, right? ha ha This does sound ridiculous!

Old 03-27-2015, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 4,734 times
calculating---getting rid of a door--hum--has metal clad outer-tin snips and one by one inches squares to throw away in amounts of maybe 5 or ten as not to draw attention--little slivers of wood to burn up in the back yard-sized to look like incense--no problem--By 2068 I will have gotten rid of the evidence-----sigh---this is going to be different

Old 03-27-2015, 03:58 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Most main entrance doors swing in, there is no new code I am aware of for a door to be an outswing!
Best of luck with your project
The out swinging entrance door is supposed to be be more hurricane friendly. A hurricane supposedly cannot blow an out swinging door in. Makes sense and that's what we have but would much rather have it swing in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte